Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPL mod: Invasion Q3  (Read 8272 times)
atphalix
Nub

Cakes 2

« on: August 02, 2007, 07:38:35 AM »

Invasion is rather old mod (2002) that has been gpl'd by it's authors.
as I hate to see gpl stuff and (eventually q3 mods) die, I think that we can start an OA mod based on it.here is the description from the website:

Invasion is a Quake 3 Mod in which marines fight against aliens.

There are 2 gamemodes :
- Destroy All Eggs (DAE) in which the Marines' goal is too seek & destroy all the Alien Eggs in the map
- Teleport The Egg (TTE) in which the Marines' goal is to find and bring back the Alien Egg to their Teleporter

The game is round based. The marines have to capture the Egg before round end to win. Marines have only one life per round, so if they die, they must wait as spectators until the next round starts. If all marines die, then the aliens win the round.

The marines have good weapons and armor, the aliens have weak weapons and no armor, but they have special powers.

Note that Invasion is not a CTF game. Because the Aliens don't have anything to capture and Marines haven't anything to defend but their life and their mates, so the game is faster, deadlier and really scary.

As with oa version 0.7 we have new human like and alien like player that can be used to replace the original content and very simple modification to the maps to make it compatible.
   I think that openarena team should host some gpl oa compatible mods, so the developement is centralised so the mods can benefit from each other and make it also easy for the end user to get new mods for their favourite game when they are tired of just fraging.

some screenshots:
http://invasion.planetquake.gamespy.com/images.html
a review at planet quake
http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?view=MOTW.Detail&id=172
and the original website:
http://invasion.planetquake.gamespy.com/invasion.html
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 07:46:40 AM »

It's not really GPL'd when you base the mod on the Quake3 mod SDK code base (which has a very restrictive license) , so it's not legal

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 08:33:36 AM »

diff against mod SDK

by looking at the changes, code something similar using openarena codebase
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 09:42:50 AM by fork » Logged
Kojiro_S
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

Har har har...

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 09:07:49 AM »

They have a pretty cool xenomorph model though Cheesy

*ROOOAAAR*
atphalix
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 10:01:38 AM »

It's not really GPL'd when you base the mod on the Quake3 mod SDK code base (which has a very restrictive license) , so it's not legal
hey the author released the source under GPL as he said in the front page, and the mod work great with openarena (few missing texture). even if there is some change to be done, weel we have source so there is no problem to replace Quake3 mod SDK code base.anyway I begin to work on it if nobody is interested to join the effort.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 12:38:56 PM »

feel free Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: