Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A neat anti-cheat  (Read 34863 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: August 05, 2007, 03:30:23 PM »

Running a pure server and want more fair players? Then use this pk3.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 03:36:17 PM »

how does it work?
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 03:42:05 PM »

This is how it looks like when using picmips (when now that ever became a cheat) considering you are able to connect to a server Smiley

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 03:50:11 PM »

how does it work?

Right now it just sabotages bigchars for the picmip abusers so they can't read any text.

One of my pet peeves is the unnecessary lowering of detail to gain a visual advantage over other players.

w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 03:52:18 PM »

how does it work?

Right now it just sabotages bigchars for the picmip abusers so they can't read any text.

One of my pet peeves is the unnecessary lowering of detail to gain a visual advantage over other players.
Well, I abuse picmip so that I can gain FPS enough to play the game. With default OA settings it is barely playable on my system. When it comes to settings to tweak and make your own configurations, there are some that will agree that changing the setup is allowed, others will say that changing the default settings is cheating. Included in that sort of cheatlist would be /com_maxfps 125, /rate 25000, /snaps 40, /cg_fov 120, /com_blood 0, /cg_gibs 0, doppler, smoketrails and so on...h*ll, even cg_drawtimer 1 is cheating. The worst of them is the /com_maxfps since with default settings you are not able to perform the same jumps as players using key-settings of 125 or 333.3. What about forcing models then? Or maybe the lightmap->vertex changes? So is changing any variable cheating? Or where do we draw that line? Even while playing in official tournaments, you are not always allowed to change your gamma to a value higher than 1.2, but that is in a professional tournament, sponsored by international firms and played on location. So in that aspect, what do we consider cheating in Open Arena? There is of course Punkbuster which has a picmip filter limit at, I believe 4, but don't know if this applies to all games it support. But do we want punkbuster? I think not. Personally I consider it cheating to use a high-dpi mouse since I don't have one, how can I control that on server side? disallow1200dpi_mouse.zip, is that what I need? My system is not designed for gaming, nor do I try to achieve anything gaming-wise anymore. If I was in to serious, professional gaming, where cheats may occur, then it would be Q3 or Q4 since they have a large established base for tournaments, hence stricter rules. Another thing that I enjoy is /r_bloom 1, since what I've seen it makes characters more visible due to glow, almost like r_fullbright. What is does for me with r_bloom 1 is that is gives me the magical wonder of 1 FPS, good luck with that Lightning Gun Smiley

Added 2 screenshots just to show that r_picmip, and lower texture settings improves fps to a playable level even on low-end systems.
[edit: edited the h*ll out of this post]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 04:42:51 PM by w1zrd » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 05:14:35 PM »

lol

If it doesn't look much like the original game anymore (i.e. no shading) i'd consider it unfair.

Also the 333fps jump exploit is obviously an exploit that was never intentionally intended by id software.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 05:18:45 PM by leilol » Logged

w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 05:26:08 PM »

Well if I could use a 1280x1024 resolution with 108 fps, then I would. I can barely reach 80 while playing in 800x600. But if the choice between getting obnoxious because of insane pixel-mania since my hardware isn't extreme or quit playing the game, then I'd rather choose the latter.

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 05:27:35 PM »

There is of course Punkbuster which has a picmip filter limit at, I believe 4, but don't know if this applies to all games it support. But do we want punkbuster? I think not.

It's not a matter of whether we want Punkbuster* or not it's a matter that we can't have Punkbuster no matter what due to their stupid license being incompatible with the GPL.

* Frankly, I rather enjoyed being kicked off q3 servers because Punkbuster refuses to auto-update on GNU/Linux... what a great feature to add to any game...

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 05:54:35 PM »

Well if I could use a 1280x1024 resolution with 108 fps, then I would. I can barely reach 80 while playing in 800x600. But if the choice between getting obnoxious because of insane pixel-mania since my hardware isn't extreme or quit playing the game, then I'd rather choose the latter.

I don't think anyone is being obnoxious here, however the picmip thing is a bad idea, as there are people with old Macs that have to use high picmip and low detail levels levels to play the game at a decent frame rate. 

A better idea would be to just limit the max_fps to 120 which eliminates the majority of the jump exploits and puts everyone on the same playing field while allowing the game to be playable for those on low end systems that don't want to or can't update their hardware for whatever reason.

w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 06:09:06 PM »

A better idea would be to just limit the max_fps to 120 which eliminates the majority of the jump exploits and puts everyone on the same playing field while allowing the game to be playable for those on low end systems that don't want to or can't update their hardware for whatever reason.
That is an idea that makes more sense but would probably create a whole lot of controversy from experienced players since they can't perform the stair jump on aggressor (for instance) easily anymore. It is still possible, but much harder to perform. I think issues like this will always be around todays FPS games since nowadays they are generally depending on the hardware/system more than equality in play. Older games was more independent on the form of hardware and relied more on skill, rather than setup. You can match two individual opponents with equal skills today, the one with the better computer will have a better determined outcome of winning the game, that is a sad fact.

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 06:17:25 PM »

I lived through the complaints about my supposed qvm hacks that favor the uber elite, I think I can live through any complaints that might come out of providing a level playing field without ruining game play for people on old hardware. 

I'll just have to dig out my asbestos underwear.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 06:21:23 PM »

also probably forcing vertexlight to 0 if more than one tmu is detected on the video card (read: any post-97 video card)

w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 06:23:21 PM »

I lived through the complaints about my supposed qvm hacks that favor the uber elite, I think I can live through any complaints that might come out of providing a level playing field without ruining game play for people on old hardware. 

I'll just have to dig out my asbestos underwear.
Trying to stay on-topic:
What about the server-side variable sv_fps, does that limit the clients actual fps in a way that they still have an equal fps on the server, or does the individual client-side setting override this?
P.S asbestos underwear, where can I get them (non-used prefered) Wink

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 06:52:32 PM »

also probably forcing vertexlight to 0 if more than one tmu is detected on the video card (read: any post-97 video card)

Again, that might ruin gameplay on old Mac hardware.

Trying to stay on-topic:
What about the server-side variable sv_fps, does that limit the clients actual fps in a way that they still have an equal fps on the server, or does the individual client-side setting override this?
P.S asbestos underwear, where can I get them (non-used prefered) Wink

No, sv_fps has more to do snapshot data (the amount of info being sent back and forth from client -> server) than it does with actual frames per second, increasing sv_fps can cause more lag.

Staying on topic is no fun Tongue
S-Mart has asbestos underwear on sale this week, shop smart, shop S-Mart. Cheesy

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 07:07:41 PM »

Again, that might ruin gameplay on old Mac hardware.

How old are we talking? My iMac DV (which is dead) from 1999 used an ATI Rage 128 and had multitexture.

<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 08:36:49 PM »

hey,
I just wanna give you my oppinon, I think its not really important the neat anti-cheat thing, who cares if there are cheaters, they are in "every" game, its impossible to avoid them, but, after playing and "enjoying" a game thats the only thing that's really important, in time, the cheaters are spoted and the other players just avoid them. its simple people hate cheaters, and they are always cheating maybe 'cause they have not enough skills or they know about coding but not about "fair game"..

but, fromhell, u r the admin, so thats your call, in my opinnion, dont waste your time..

pd: (sorry the grammar, I did my best) Grin Grin

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 09:53:17 PM »

How old are we talking? My iMac DV (which is dead) from 1999 used an ATI Rage 128 and had multitexture.

This old.  I agree with his assessment that 11+- fps is not playable, if I were stuck on that kind of hardware, for whatever reason, I would be upset to download this game only to find out that I was forced to have to play the game at an insanely slow fps, which would gives people with better hardware an advantage, exactly the sort of thing we are trying to avoid.

Linux
Nub

Cakes 0

Head Admin On European OA 0.7.0 (24/7) Server

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 03:23:47 PM »

+30 FPS is good for me. Now i got have a new graphic card ( i was played before on integrated Via Delta Chrome 9 -  30-40FPS)

Now...

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 03:25:36 PM by Linux » Logged

If you have problem with our server - fell free to mail me (sa-mp@szybki-serwer.pl)
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 03:34:56 PM »

This old.  I agree with his assessment that 11+- fps is not playable, if I were stuck on that kind of hardware, for whatever reason, I would be upset to download this game only to find out that I was forced to have to play the game at an insanely slow fps, which would gives people with better hardware an advantage, exactly the sort of thing we are trying to avoid.
On the other side of that coin there is that aspect that some people do buy new hardware and upgrade their systems only so that the games will perform better. If I were to buy a $500 graphics-card and then sat down with Open Arena and started playing, getting the same performance as of that with a $50 card, that would make me wanna hump some tennisballs in a dark alley.

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 03:52:47 PM »

People that buy $500 video cards have too much money and should consider donating to their local homeless shelter instead of buying a luxury item that they do not need (my opinion, feel free to flame me for being socially conscious).  The nVidia 8600's are priced between $100 and $150 and provide more than enough power to run any game currently available.

Also it should be of note that they will notice improved performance, they just won't be able to increase FPS beyond 120 which is more than enough for any serious game enjoyment without causing eye strain which low fps and low refresh rates on CRT monitors cause.

lingenfr
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 02:35:58 PM »

It is interesting that folks (normally liberals) confuse telling other people how to spend their hard earned money with social consciousness. No flaming, just pity and disappointment in the educational system that produced those misinformed attitudes. With that said...

I don't think that cheating (or using little known settings) is a given. I would like to see a game that enforces the same gaming experience with the common denominator being based on average hardware. I don't mind getting beat, as long as we are playing the same game.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 02:37:34 PM by lingenfr » Logged
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 03:17:39 PM »

It is interesting that folks (normally liberals) confuse telling other people how to spend their hard earned money with social consciousness. No flaming, just pity and disappointment in the educational system that produced those misinformed attitudes.

Amusing...

I don't think that cheating (or using little known settings) is a given. I would like to see a game that enforces the same gaming experience with the common denominator being based on average hardware. I don't mind getting beat, as long as we are playing the same game.

Limiting the FPS would accomplish that while leaving room for the low end systems to still have enjoyable game play with the caveat that the game wouldn't look as nice as it could.  Now if all of our users had hardware that could run the game at a decent FPS without using picmip, I would agree with lei and remove the low end settings altogether.

The only thing that makes the picmip text skew a bad idea is that it kills decent game play on low end systems.

w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 03:33:06 PM »

But the argument for using a r_picmip filter to penalise users of it because it simply gives an visual advantage is in my opinion incorrect. In that aspect we should not be able to remove rocket trail smoke, change to r_bloom 1, use simple items, switching between cg_oldRail 1, cg_oldRockets 1 or cg_oldPlasma 1, changing from lightmap to vertex and all these other "visual enhancements" which in effect gives a user higher FPS count. If everything that makes Open Arena divert from it's original state is considered to be a cheat then even /cg_fov and /cg_drawfastsky 1 should be locked down for fairness of play. Using a patch which a server administrator can apply to his/her server, or a simple variable to change, which locks FPS to a given amount is however a solution. This would give the same dis/advantage to every user on that server.

If you have have ever played on the *rainbow|defrag* you have already experienced such a lockdown of FPS. On that specific server I have limited a users FPS to a maximum of 140. The "problem" with many of the training steps and maps for that modification is that it is designed to use 125 fps and overbounces.

Leopold
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 02:10:10 AM »

Yeah, and don't forget to force everyone to use the same monitor. Fiddleling with the brightness settings is a cheat too.
And darken the room is even worse. And of course, graphic cards that cost more then a 100 bucks aren't allowed too;)
Rebinding of keys has to be seen as the uebercheat.

Come on, this is plain silly. The Q3A engine is highly configurable and that is a plus. Everyone can tweak it to
his likening.  If you bind a key to do RJ, i'm fine with it.

As far as the FPS thing goes, wasn't pmove introduced to take care of this?
This is not in issue in CPMA btw., they fixed the FPS-dependend pysics (and are hated for that;)
spirit
Nub

Cakes 0

chickening out already?

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 01:08:34 PM »

I rather enjoyed being kicked off q3 servers because Punkbuster refuses to auto-update on GNU/Linux... what a great feature to add to any game...

I always play q3a under linux with pb, I've even got PB running on my own (linux) servers. Had some trouble in the beginning with that stupid update script, but it seems to work now.

The only thing that makes the picmip text skew a bad idea is that it kills decent game play on low end systems.

I'd suggest you allow people to play the game the way they want to. Using picmip is allowed even at official CPMA contests, so what's this all about?

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed that the pk3 isn't a part of OA by default. I'd only suggest that it stays this way then.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 01:23:17 PM by spirit » Logged

spirit
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: