Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your preferred dev machine/environment?  (Read 34457 times)
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 03:48:35 PM »

You need to have the libogg and libvorbis headers along with a libogg.a, libvorbis.a, and libvorbisfile.dll.a

harvest
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 12:08:25 PM »

Quote from: dmn_clown
Not if you want binary compatibility with the majority of GNU/Linux installations.  Compile something on Gassy Baboon, then try to run it on Slackware 12, go ahead, I'll wait but not long because the binary won't run...

But strictly for development, doesn't it make more sense to just use whatever distro you feel comfortable with, and to achieve binary compatibility before you deploy, compile on a Debian box? Or am I missing something? This assumes that the project would need no changes to compile on each distro.
At worst I would think that you would have two project configs with minor differences, prolly wrt include libs and paths, one for your Ubuntu development, and one for your Debian compilation. Since Ubuntu is built on Debian, I would think the differences would be painless to nil.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2007, 03:47:42 PM »

Since Ubuntu is built on Debian, I would think the differences would be painless to nil.

The last time I checked, the majority of development packages available within *buntu were not officially supported due to their focus on the desktop and not as a development platform which generally leaves security/bug fix tracking up to the person that installs the packages.  That can be very painful/time consuming.

moHiJ
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2007, 08:46:52 AM »

Well I use Gentoo/Linux for everything.

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.
Proverbs 17,28
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 09:59:43 PM »

Well I use Gentoo/Linux for everything.
Nobody does Win95 for heavy development anymore? Sad

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2007, 09:48:28 AM »

You need to have the libogg and libvorbis headers along with a libogg.a, libvorbis.a, and libvorbisfile.dll.a

NOOB question... Where do i get those from?
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2007, 04:42:06 PM »

http://xiph.org/downloads/

Configure* them for compiling with your version of mingw32, then compile them for whichever gcc version you use.  The *.a files will be built in a hidden directory (libogg.a gets built in src/.libs the libvorbis files get built in lib/.libs).

copy the headers to your mingw32/include directory:

mingw32/include/ogg/
mingw32/include/vorbis/

and copy the *.a files to mingw32/lib/

* - cross-config.sh ahould be something like this: 
Code:
#!/bin/sh

CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/sh
export CONFIG_SHELL
PREFIX=/usr/mingw32/
TARGET=mingw32
PATH="$PREFIX/bin:$PREFIX/$TARGET/bin:$PATH"
export PATH
if [ -f "$PREFIX/$TARGET/bin/$TARGET-sdl-config" ]; then
    SDL_CONFIG="$PREFIX/$TARGET/bin/$TARGET-sdl-config"
    export SDL_CONFIG
fi
cache=cross-config.cache
sh configure --cache-file="$cache" \
--target=$TARGET --host=$TARGET --build=i386-linux \
$*
status=$?
rm -f "$cache"
exit $status

edit PREFIX to match your environment

daedulus
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2007, 10:53:17 AM »

Has anyone managed to forget the fact that the source is always available? so if something doesn't run due to a rather newer library version they could just compile it themselves. I mean "make install" people, for crying out loud Tongue

Me personally however develop on a Linux Mint laptop and use debian 4.0 build servers to compile stuff as for the IDE I use Eclipse with CDT.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2007, 02:10:29 PM »

You're right we should do source only releases, especially for Windows because there are just too many versions of Windows to support and it is impossible to cover them all.

some people will get that joke

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2007, 02:28:41 PM »

especially for Windows because there are just too many versions of Windows to support and it is impossible to cover them all.

I like your thinking! Wink
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2007, 05:14:32 PM »

xpsp2 mingw scite
replaced msys console with Console2
gcc is 4.2
changed Cheesy
ubuntu scite meld
gcc whatever feisty has
daedulus
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2007, 08:14:05 PM »

You're right we should do source only releases, especially for Windows because there are just too many versions of Windows to support and it is impossible to cover them all.
Well I was merely stating that the whole argument of not using something just because of binary incompatibilities that can be resolved just by building from source is pretty damn ludicrous. but meh, nice joke btw Tongue
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2007, 10:12:50 PM »

Well I was merely stating that the whole argument of not using something just because of binary incompatibilities that can be resolved just by building from source is pretty damn ludicrous.

Actually, it's not ludicrous, previous ioq3 revs have shown it is not always possible to build something from source on certain platforms.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: