Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sounds issues with Ubuntu 9.04  (Read 5905 times)
kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« on: June 17, 2009, 09:26:14 AM »

Hey Folks.  I just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04 (previously using 8.04).  Downloading installing OpenArena again from Synaptic was easy (easier than downloading OA has ever been).  It works, even with Compiz running (a fixed bug, yipeeee!).

The problem is with the sound.  I experience a delay for all sounds in the game, even in the start menu.  The sound comes about half a second after it should.  This is true for menu sounds, weapons, items, jumps, everything.  Visually there is no delay.  My weapon, for example, will shoot as soon as I click, but the sound comes late. 

Any ideas on fixing this problem?  I can still play, but the sound thing is irritating...

THanks!

Evil|kilgore*
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 03:41:39 AM »

Hey Folks.  I just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04 (previously using 8.04).  Downloading installing OpenArena again from Synaptic was easy (easier than downloading OA has ever been).  It works, even with Compiz running (a fixed bug, yipeeee!).

The problem is with the sound.  I experience a delay for all sounds in the game, even in the start menu.  The sound comes about half a second after it should.  This is true for menu sounds, weapons, items, jumps, everything.  Visually there is no delay.  My weapon, for example, will shoot as soon as I click, but the sound comes late. 

Any ideas on fixing this problem?  I can still play, but the sound thing is irritating...

THanks!

Evil|kilgore*
Try setting s_useOpenAL to "0" or "1", and see how it works.
seta s_useOpenAL "1"

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 11:13:56 PM »

Turn off PulseAudio perhaps?
kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 05:28:36 AM »

Hm, thanks for the suggestions, though neither seems to make a difference.  Now I've been playing with the sound like this for a while and I'm beginning to wonder if its all in my head.... maybe it was like this before?  not sure anymore ha ha ha!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: