Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Request: team based game mode in the same vein as Counter Strike  (Read 33984 times)
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2007, 04:28:13 AM »

I'm working at making a free and opensource alternative mod to Urban Terror

i've been having similar ideas myself. you got a website or a wiki yet?
atphalix
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 08:10:48 AM »

No not yet I'm looking for more interested people to work on that project cuz i'm unexperienced for such things.and then well start.
well the ioUrbanTerror source is gpl since it is based on ioquake3, so we can use it as a base but not the graphics, textures, and other stuff they are not gpl :-(
you can download the source from:http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/games/urbanterror/iourbanterror/source/
the urban terror website: http://www.urbanterror.net/news.php
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2007, 12:48:44 PM »

Uh, ioUT is only the engine, not the gamecode. They're too selfish to GPL the gamecode because they're afraid of competition.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2007, 01:29:32 PM »

The real question:  is the game code linked to the engine or is that an aggregation of another work?

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »

The real question:  is the game code linked to the engine or is that an aggregation of another work?

I think the gamecode is fully interpreted for security reasons (I think ioquake added the possibility for dynamic linking but I can imagine several vulnerabilities if such mods could be automatically downloaded).

Interpreted means it counts as pure data http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfInterpreterIsGPL

It is possible that the gamecode is based on the SDK code that is copyrighted, but only idsoftware can do something about it and they most likely don't care anymore. And under some jurisdictions it might not even be a problem.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 02:49:43 PM »

No, the GPL is interpreted nearly the same in all jurisdictions what isn't interpreted the same is what counts as an aggregation and or separate program:  example (Read the entire thread to get the full  effect) according to Joerg Schilling and his lawyer the CDDL build system of cdrtools (And the CDDL itself) was compatible with the GPL, whereas in the US it is not because the build system is not considered an aggregate (The CDDL is not GPL compatible BTW, Sun Microsystems wrote it to be specifically GPL incompatible, much like the MPL).

The question still stands, is it linked or an aggregate.

The assets are obviously an aggregate and as such do not have to be under the GPL, which is why it is legal to release a game engine under the GPL and have non-free assets.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007, 04:15:46 PM »

I was not thinking about the GPL. I was thinking on the original license of the SDK/non-engine-part before it was GPLed.

And I will still say that gamecode is fully interpreted and therefore not linked to the engine.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
atphalix
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007, 06:50:54 PM »

Uh, ioUT is only the engine, not the gamecode. They're too selfish to GPL the gamecode because they're afraid of competition.
we'll make better game and under GPL, I'm excited about it since it will be the first open source game of that kind :-)   
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2007, 10:17:06 PM »

I was not thinking about the GPL. I was thinking on the original license of the SDK/non-engine-part before it was GPLed.

And I will still say that gamecode is fully interpreted and therefore not linked to the engine.

I am not convinced of that, the "interpreted" code is compiled at runtime and makes calls to the engine in such a way as they could be considered linked.  I just don't see the gamecode as being an aggregate.  Now it is possible (as you said) that they are still using the earlier license on top of the GPL licensed engine, but that may not be legal either.  IIRC QuakeLives tried the same stunt with an earlier quake engine and we all know how that ended up (Carmack threatened a lawsuit and they quit distributing because the author didn't want to share his source).

And this does concern us, you, and everyone else that chooses to use the GPL as if it is a violation and people turn a blind eye to it, it weakens the legal viability of the GPL in court.  Besides, wouldn't the world be a better place if people shared more?

we'll make better game and under GPL, I'm excited about it since it will be the first open source game of that kind :-)   

Sweet Smiley

atphalix
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2007, 09:33:30 AM »

Western quake source is under GPL and still actively developed.Maybe we can use it as a base since it is more realistic.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2007, 01:19:34 PM »

Nah, i'd be wary of those who are "GPLing" their mod SDK-derived source

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: