Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Noob need's some starting stuff -.-  (Read 39538 times)
GermanNoob
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« on: May 06, 2008, 10:40:09 AM »

Hi all,

I'm very new to OA (I loved to play Q3A) an have some maybe stupit Questions:

1. I always get the "Invalid Game Folder" Message. The wiki tells that the server has another Version. But as the Server has displayed 0.7.6 (that's the version I've installed) in the ServerName I think it is possible that the server has a mod enabled? I've the problem in 7 of 10 Servers (very often). So the only way I can play is just search for a working one. Whats up with this?

2. When somebody leaves the game without quitting (hardware-reset), he will still be in the game. It's very bad on last man standing games, as he always will be the last player. The real last player can only suizide

Please forgive my bad english ;-)
skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

OpenArena 1.0.0 - /cg_roaminganimals 1 ; /cg_flipf

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 11:14:07 PM »

You are not alone, it's impossible to ask a stupid question here. 0.71 the curent working version, unles you lile bugs and hot fixes etc. The community is on 0.7.1. I'm sorry Sad Its so frustrating.

There is a hot fix for 7.6 but I doubt the admins like to play with fire when things are just fine the way they are :S

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:18:06 AM »

Server admins are lazy and aren't aware of 0.7.6.

You know skanky, telling people to stick with 0.7.1 isn't really encouraging development. It's basically a 'fuck off' to the efforts we're going through to keep new. It also spreads the mentality that older is better because it's more vulnerable to old security issues. Great logic. You surely are the sage to go to.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 12:26:13 AM by leilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 06:58:30 AM »

fromhell

I fully support the development of OA. I find it really frustrating that these new people are being advised to enter into what I understand is a test zone, which the 'community' have expressed their own concerns. I believe that part of the community are trying to help.

I respect the work of all the developers. I know it is difficult when working a product and dedicating so much time and effort only to get slapped with critisism at the end result. You don't deserve that. I also know it is a very thankless task and takes alot of guts and determination to move forward. I have made changes to my sites that people didn't like. It cost me dearly. I had best intentions. I got not one single bit of positive feedback.

You are right about one thing, the admins are lazy Smiley Well lets be fair, lets some some of the admins are lazy, some of the admins are cautious about the release, some of the admins arent even aware of this release. I do know servers running in various locations which are basically left on their own, they run quite happilly while the admin may be extremelly busy with real life.

I enjoy Q3 Version 1.16 and OpenArena. The Quake3 1.16n Point Release was released in the year 2000

Using your logic, are the admins of these servers using a release from 8 years ago really so lazy? I just don't want OA to fall apart. I do no not want to see it fail like 1.32. I'm not saying 1.32 is dead, but it just all went in all sorts of directions and split up good communities. Now there is a chance to learn lessons from the past.

Let me quote Maverick comments on his NoGhost product on the noghost.net page :

The moral of the story is that the players are the ones who truly created this server mod; I just acted as the catalyst to code up those ideas. If players and server operators had not provided feedback, the mod would not have come this far. By providing feedback about this mod, you, the mod user, are completing the loop and are helping to improve this mod little by little. Just remember, the more feedback you give me, the better the mod will be in the end...

oh, there's a note here about how he went about his upgrade, fuck they dont even have download mechanism or the integrated security. How the hell do they survive?

I've made beta builds available here to let server operators test out new features of the mod. However, some of these features may have bugs in them or may cause your quake server to crash. Needless to say, this build is a beta version for a good reason. If you are looking to run the mod and don't feel like testing new features or dealing with bugs or crashes, then download the production build above instead of the beta version.

The irony is that many 1.16 players venture out to 1.32.. give them 24 hours, they'll be back. Same applies with the people who done the same with Q4. I told them they would be back, they told me I was wrong. I have never been wrong. These people know who they are, and although some of these people don't give a shit about what I have to say, I will drag them here by the ear and make them say it loud and clear, and perhaps they have different opinions regarding development and your own advice of the methods you use to push OA forward. If you want a real challenge, why not start from ground level and make a rather demanding suggestion/instruction that server operators and players to upgrade. I don't think you would come out alive.

I know OA is different, you are entitled and certainly have earned the right to do as you choose. I have been amazed at what the team have produced to date. I would like to help and protect the development. But I do not want new players to be presented by tumble weeds and be rather confused what the multiplayer function actually does.

For the record, I did not feel comfortable with this message here : http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1740.0

I found this rather arrogant and applicable to those who have a mentality like a sheep. Sometimes suprises like this are done as tests, because you know yourself. There are some people who will believe any shit you tell them, and what you have today, might be a pile of shit tomorrow.

One of the biggest suprises is that I did not recall any specific update to security? Can you elaborate as this is one of the main reasons why I found this update a very silly one. I can strike through every single item in your update as non-essential engine items. And if the GPL hippies want to start on me because they refuse to play on 90% of server because they are using non GPL mods then please do with caution.

I am supporting the  stable release, as I feel that the the efforts and of the development team should be protected because what I see is light years ahead of what I *continue* to support, a release from the year 2000.

It is not a big FUCK OFF as you put it. You should consider it a compliment that people feel this way with the efforts and work to date.

If you want to make these comments regarding 'older is better' - then why do you say you want to protect the core gameplay, when you are doing no such thing. Now that you have now thrown the fear factor down as your next card then shouldn't we be aware of the risks? This topic tends to scare many people, but not me. I have become a victim of security flaws many times and damage limitation is my way forward. I have my trust and faith in 0.7.1. Did you read my post where I suggested that there be a post informing us that everyone is happy and it's all good to go. Well this update cost me 3 nights of server changes along with my admin. I owe him big time because of you, I dont care for myself, but I do care about others when it is my own responsibility.

aaah.. think i'll go sit out in the garden such a beautiful day. I cant be arsed doing anything today. Smiley I maybe lazy but I believe my heart is in the right place and I believe my intentions are good ones. I just want to feel secure, and it's your challenge to make feel confident that I am in safe hands Smiley

skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 07:04:56 AM »

i'm going to lock every new common invalid game folder post i see

Nooooo.... please dont sulk over this issue - you can do better. The monsters dont go away when you close your eyes. Lets try and help and work with each other to get rid of these shitty problems.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 08:42:54 AM »

i'm going to lock every new common invalid game folder post i see

Nooooo.... please dont sulk over this issue - you can do better. The monsters dont go away when you close your eyes. Lets try and help and work with each other to get rid of these shitty problems.

there is no way to 'fix' the invalid game folder issue unless every server is up to date.

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 12:42:18 PM »

might be an idea to make the error message more detailed. maybe add something like "this might occur when your version does not match the server".

or

add a marker in the serverbrowser that marks what version the server is running
Fitacus
Lesser Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 02:24:06 PM »

fromhell do u feel like ArQon sumtimes?... Grin

"The things you own, they end up owning you."
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 03:03:17 PM »

maybe changing the protocol number for 0.7.7 will be a good idea, it'll weed out those who are lazy on the list

skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 05:40:09 PM »

yaaaay.. thank you so much Cheesy
GermanNoob
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 09:50:07 AM »

Thanks for the replies. So I see, it'll be better to install both versions: stable and 0.7.6...
CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 07:31:41 AM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:16:27 PM by CFQ » Logged

I blanked my posts because I don't like this forum anymore! BAWWWWW
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 08:42:32 AM »

You cant call it development if we consider the "failures" that the new release has compared with 0.7.1.
That "lazy" ppl as you call US, dont want to go 0.7.7 cause we've already tried it and we prefer 0.7.1.

If your intention is to improve this game, and you have received several notifications about 0.7.1 as better than 0.7.7, then why dont we just add the new models, maps and textures instead of changing the "core" of the game itself?

In that way we can evolve, but following the right path, a path started with 0.7.1...

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 10:37:52 AM »

You cant call it development if we consider the "failures" that the new release has compared with 0.7.1.
That "lazy" ppl as you call US, dont want to go 0.7.7 cause we've already tried it and we prefer 0.7.1.

If your intention is to improve this game, and you have received several notifications about 0.7.1 as better than 0.7.7, then why dont we just add the new models, maps and textures instead of changing the "core" of the game itself?

In that way we can evolve, but following the right path, a path started with 0.7.1...

You are very wrong.
How the fuck is 0.7.1 better than 0.7.7?!
There are virtually NO CHANGES, apart from a few models etc.

"then why dont we just add the new models, maps and textures instead of changing the "core" of the game itself?"
Because the maps,models, textures ARE the core of the game. 0.7.7 is only a BINARY patch, which is NOT the real core of the game, as you can still play baseoa 0.7.6 (which is the same as baseoa 0.7.7) on any binary.

"That "lazy" ppl as you call US, dont want to go 0.7.7 cause we've already tried it and we prefer 0.7.1."
You prefer 0.7.1 because it is more played.

"In that way we can evolve, but following the right path, a path started with 0.7.1..."
We CANNOT continue from 0.7.1 because it is exactly like continuing from 0.7.6/0.7.7, and STILL NOBODY WILL UPDATE OR PLAY BECAUSE IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME THING AS THE 0.7.1->0.7.6/7

Your post just emits rays of bullshit Tongue

CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 10:42:58 AM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:19:37 PM by CFQ » Logged

Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 04:00:01 PM »

You are very wrong.
How the fuck is 0.7.1 better than 0.7.7?!
0.77 fucked up the sensitivity, and I dont mean just the value changed.
more models count for shit, and is inconsequential compared to gameplay.

I really appreciate the autojoin feature and the added maps however
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 04:01:36 PM by Gerbil » Logged

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »

The engine code has changed a lot

Thanks for that..
And kick52, whatever, I dont play 0.7.1 only cause its the most played version, I play it cause its the most stable.
Maybe im wrong, but I prefer "to say bullshit" ( as u call it ) than being an ass-licker.! Tongue

If 0.7.7 were a stable and good version, better than 0.7.1 then this forums wouldnt have LOTS of threads talking about 0.7.7 problems and a low quality compared with 0.7.1 (im not saying 0.7.1 had no troubles, in case anyone wants to discuss that)

It would be great if we consider the best parts of each release and the "valuable" suggestions from the players and put it for the 0.8.0 release. But, of course if you and some other ppl think our suggestions are BULLSHIT then, 0.8.0 wont be as cool as we hope... Sad

Ps: Why dont we start a poll about removing Vertex or not?
Are the developers taking seriously the poll about the "new SDL input"?

CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 08:28:57 AM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:18:37 PM by CFQ » Logged

<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 08:38:29 AM »

:I of course im saying thx to you for saying it....

CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 10:44:55 AM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:18:52 PM by CFQ » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 11:38:40 PM »

The engine code has changed a lot
There's also new gametypes but since everyone is simple-brained apparently no one cares for that

there's also a dm17 ripoff!

fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 05:00:19 AM »

there's also a dm17 ripoff!

^^ that sounds tempting Smiley

There's also new gametypes but since everyone is simple-brained apparently no one cares for that

^^ Just give it some time damnit! Who knows, what if there was a release during the development cycle which everyone wanted to play and was highly succesful. If that version happened to be in the middle of the dev cycle would you consider it a failure because it might be different from whatever stage the game is at.

Why waste time creating gametypes if you know everyone is simple-minded? That makes you one of the simpletons too, well you did state 'everyone' so no offence taken
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 05:26:44 AM by missbehaving » Logged
CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 05:48:14 AM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:19:16 PM by CFQ » Logged

kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 06:17:23 AM »

By "NO CHANGES", I meant that there is nothing that will affect what you previously could do. There were new things added, though nothing was modified. (much)
<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 10:36:09 AM »

There were new things added, though nothing was modified. (much)

Hehe... I could say then... Im going to upgrade to 0.7.7 (not) Tongue

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: