Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Noob need's some starting stuff -.-  (Read 39538 times)
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 10:57:01 PM »

0.71 is the current working version, unless you like bugs and hot fixes etc. The community is on 0.7.1.

Server admins are lazy and aren't aware of 0.7.6.

Funny how viewpoints can be so different.

Anyway I think it's very false to say the new versions brings only "minor engine changes". Just the unlaggued feature is enough to legitimate these new versions, and, even if they aren't perfect, this is not the only new great feature.

But I think that all this assle could be easily avoided just by a better organization. Why not following the normal professional development process (that would be normal for a professional developped game as you said fromhell).

What I mean is that when a new version comes out, it should be marked as an alpha/unstable and be tested on only some servers, then take the feedback and release a stable release. It doesn't take more time at all, and will avoid these problems. It's just a matter of organization.

What you do is great fromhell, but please take in account the community, you won't regret it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 10:58:56 PM by GrosBedo » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 12:29:08 AM »

But I think that all this assle could be easily avoided just by a better organization. Why not following the normal professional development process (that would be normal for a professional developped game as you said fromhell).

You mean put everyone on crunch, whip everyone constantly, then abandon the project on release and never go back again? And also ban everyone with opinions on the board? (Hey it worked for Splash Damage)

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 02:15:34 AM »

what a strange answer. as if proper testing of a new version wouldn't benefit the project?

bugs in both 0.7.0 and 0.7.6 could've been discovered and fixed before they were released.

we now have a community divided over at least four versions (0.7.0, 0.7.1, 0.7.6, 0.7.7). what if we get a sudden 0.8.0 release with bugs?

oh wait, no problem! let's just release a 0.8.1!
muffins.exe
Nub

Cakes 0

aaaaa

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 02:24:49 AM »

i'd like to know where this whole "0.7.7 is bad" mindset comes from

people who complain about 0.7.7 can never seem to name any specific issues – it's always "it feels different" or "it's buggy." of course it won't get any better if you don't report bugs and suggest fixes

with the maturity level of some players i wouldn't be surprised if the only reason they play openarena is because their parents won't buy them quake 3
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 02:26:33 AM »

what a strange answer. as if proper testing of a new version wouldn't benefit the project?

bugs in both 0.7.0 and 0.7.6 could've been discovered and fixed before they were released.

we now have a community divided over at least four versions (0.7.0, 0.7.1, 0.7.6, 0.7.7). what if we get a sudden 0.8.0 release with bugs?

oh wait, no problem! let's just release a 0.8.1!
for 0.8.0 release i'm gonna have some epic things done for that

i'm going to mass mail everyone on the forums about it. hey, some other games forums do it too so why not mine

CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2008, 04:55:31 AM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:25:05 PM by CFQ » Logged

I blanked my posts because I don't like this forum anymore! BAWWWWW
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2008, 09:54:12 AM »

The guys and gals on IRC channel test no?

fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2008, 11:11:07 AM »

Name and shame I say Cheesy It took me 10 mins to find the fs_ cvar issue.. but now it kinda figures... irc people. I guess all the feedback is in cyberspace chat logs.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2008, 12:03:28 PM »

I just don't understand why you're so aggressive. I'm telling you some ideas and all you do is slap me back in the face. I won't ask you why you have this behaviour, you have your own problems like everyone, but people aren't here to suffer from them.
CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2008, 12:20:05 PM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:24:46 PM by CFQ » Logged

I blanked my posts because I don't like this forum anymore! BAWWWWW
SlippJigg
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2008, 05:15:07 PM »

i think everyone should upgrade to the newest version, and give feedback to the development team (both + & -).  This is how games become better over time.  I personally OK with whatever kind of roadmap and release cycle the Open Arena Team decides to use.  They are the ones donating their Time, Knowledge, & Energy to creating one of the best GNU games on the planet.  Good work team.  I think Open Arena is getting better. I have been playing since the .60 version, and am satisfied with the development progress.  If you are not satisfied with the development - join them instead of bitching about Everything.

The new game types are a nice addition, and make the game more interesting.

I am in the process of setting up a dedicated dell server, it should be online next week.  I will be running a public Open Arena server, and it will be .77.  I am absolutely certain I will be setting up a Open Arena NIQ3 server.

fromhell, I emailed the author of NIQ3 and ask him what the license is.  If it was gpl'd it would be a Great mod to Include with the game, as it is only 1.9mb.  It rocks!

Game Not Over,
SlippJigg
lml{-_-}lml
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2008, 09:10:19 AM »

Hiya People,

Im new to this game spinoff (installed it yesterday)
I Play q3a and got bored a bit.
I read about versions and maps on this forum and looks to me like its a bit of a mess.(one says this one says that)
I downloaded the latest version but only a few Server are Out there.

Questions:
 What version is most used?
 Are there any real good mappacks and where do i find them?
 I like color in my name like in Q3a but the Shift+6 = ^ does not work for me in console ( any tips helpfull)

Thanks for any help

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 07:20:20 AM by lml{-_-}lml » Logged

Just put a Questionmark after every phrase and your never wrong?

_-*HoaX*-_
\m/{-_-}\m/
lml{-_-}lml
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2008, 07:31:12 AM »

PS. where is my picture of that crazy tattoo?  Must be an admin deleting it? Why?,to "in your face"?
Why is bad language accepted,..like fuck off, shit bullshit etc??? because it is not so in your face because you have to accually read it and take an effort in reading it?

HYPOCRATIE,

And never mind helping me out , i read some more and its all about some peoplees ego in "listening to to playersuggestions and fix bugs etc"
Well,..all i see is the same crap that was going on in q3a and its updates.
People who know how to tweak settings and so on ,..like developers and techies Make it Die in the end cus they think they know it all,... when will people listen to the regular players who think its all fine ,...
Just Stop updates ,....Release all the bugs and how to make advantage of it and explaining what the bugs exactly do so "non techies"can use them aswell so we all are in the same boats without having to update every frign time someone things it needs to be fixed my god You people ruin the game yourselfes But i guess yer heads are up the game so much you dont even see that.

All in the name of,..It can be better,smoother etc??

If this quake engine is so good why you people have to change Things all the time?? im no techie as you can imagine.
I can imagine you have to test new games/spinoffs but test them better before you release them  by PLayers and developers Make a chatforum and discuss the things you notice instead of putting them in a forum like this because ,...........  Oh fuck it
 And thats what i have to say about that

Cant be arsed into this  You kno what i mean

(wonders if anyone cares and reacts)

Greatz and frag ya  anyway

_-*HoaX*-_
\m/{-_-}\m/
kr3am
Nub

Cakes 1

Kitty at work

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2008, 11:07:18 AM »

Hi lml{-_-}lml
i haven't been here for very long though i am aware of the following links which could be of some use to you.

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1651.0
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1690.0

This thread is getting read a real lot and i bet the other readers are not getting what they were looking for in the title, not good.
You raised some really interesting points and i do hope that they are taken on and thought about. A mechanism for new players to access the info they want quick would save a lot of trouble. Players need to know  how to do things without trudging through post after post and coming up with a negative.

This is the first place people look, so if a few people from here put their thoughts together and mined the posts for the info they need, a really fucking good read me could be done and put in a prominent location i am sure. RAZ3R u out there.
i saw your avatar, neat pic is it a real tattoo was my reaction, but i thought you will never get away with it lol. You do realise that any admin on a general audience view site is going to take it down, i worried about mine when i put it up but culture seems to tolerate violence much more than sexuality.

Good luck and  frag u back

~~((-_-))~~ Coz Its a bittersweet symphony ~~((-_-))~~
lml{-_-}lml
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2008, 07:31:13 AM »

Hiya Kr3am,

Thanks for the backup
About that tattoo ,yes its a real tattoo Cheesy. I thought it was very well done and an original work of art that you dont see nornaly on that scale,thats what i liked about it. To bad the admins cant apriciate the Art-side of it (thinking of sensoring it and put it back as avatar Tongue)

I found the mappack from w1zrd (Nice Job w1z thank you for your effort) so i have most of the maps played on here(i think)
But,.......I put them in my baseoa without subfolders but it seems something went wrong cus i cant see them when i try single player mode to Learn the maps a little :S,.......... ANY suggestions?

The version I got is the latest and cant be arsed to go d/l the earlier versions

The colorcoding is still a mystery to me. Like i sed before,..the ^ does not show when i type it in console,....DO I need to REINSTALL??,......sUGGESTIONS PLEASE (BLOODY CRAPSLOCK!) *crapslock Off* Tongue

Kr3am the first thing I do when i see you is rail you in the face Tongue
The second thing will be ,..saying hello Wink

Greatz _-*HoaX*-_ 

_-*HoaX*-_
\m/{-_-}\m/
kr3am
Nub

Cakes 1

Kitty at work

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2008, 10:15:35 AM »

About the colors thing, have you tried going to setup and doing it there coz i just tied it and if i type k^1r3am i get the white k with the rest in red.

i dunno about the maps though and warning i am handy with that saw Smiley

lml{-_-}lml
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2008, 11:13:14 AM »

About the colors thing, have you tried going to setup and doing it there coz i just tied it and if i type k^1r3am i get the white k with the rest in red.

i dunno about the maps though and warning i am handy with that saw Smiley

Yes I tried changing it in the setup but still the ^ does not show :S
Also i tried to find the config file (like in Q3a its called q3config discription cfg-file),so I could try to change it there ,..I cant find it anywhere.
The only thing for me to do is start from scratch,..meaning i deleted all OA components and re-downloading them.
First time I d/l-ed them from the moBd site,..now i try the Tuxfamily site
Hopefully That will solve the problem.

Oh and sensoring the picture became ugly so ,..fek it Wink

_-*HoaX*-_
\m/{-_-}\m/
lml{-_-}lml
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008, 12:15:17 PM »

Well reinstalling didnt help, so I messed about on the key board and finaly I got it working
First I have to push the Insert button then ^ then spacebar,.....LOL!

What a mess......LOL!

Thanks for the tips Kr3am.

Now im going to hunt for that Skin glow-pack i saw somewhere Cheesy

Greatz

_-*HoaX*-_
\m/{-_-}\m/
kr3am
Nub

Cakes 1

Kitty at work

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2008, 08:18:18 PM »

Well reinstalling didnt help, so I messed about on the key board and finaly I got it working
First I have to push the Insert button then ^ then spacebar,.....LOL!
Wow that's tarded lol.
Have you tried doing a search for q3config, i dunno where it puts it coz i run the game straight from a folder on my desktop and it is in the baseoa folder.
Maybe it is not getting created when u run the game.

lml{-_-}lml
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2008, 06:16:51 AM »

I wont even try a search because I bet a only get the q3cfg files (I know where they are) and not the OA-cfg file.
The Oa files I d/led are:

OpenArena 0.7.6 Windows Installer
for Windows 9X/2000/XP operating systems
(269 MB - md5: 8b90fc2bfe12f4c3b3e1a915fe922662)

and

OpenArena v0.7.7 Patch Windows Installer
for Windows 9X/2000/XP operating systems
(2 MB - md5: 8fb57e7bb5310e36a02437b60b0adb72)

Did I get that right or do i need another version and then use the .7 patch?

Greatz

_-*HoaX*-_
\m/{-_-}\m/
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2008, 06:37:59 AM »

I wont even try a search because I bet a only get the q3cfg files (I know where they are) and not the OA-cfg file.

The OA cfg files are saved in Application Data/openarena. The actual place of "Application Data" varies depending on where your operating system stores user files.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
lml{-_-}lml
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2008, 07:06:04 AM »

Thank you sago007, i found it
Is it possible to move that data to the oa game folder in my program files?
Or does that mess up the game?

Greatz

_-*HoaX*-_
\m/{-_-}\m/
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2008, 01:45:48 PM »

Is it possible to move that data to the oa game folder in my program files?
Or does that mess up the game?

You can move any pk3 file without problem. But the game will keep writing new pk3 and config files to your home.

You can start the game with "+set fs_homepath PATH" to change the place OA saves the files.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Bu3ll3r
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2008, 07:25:03 AM »

I enjoy Q3 Version 1.16 and OpenArena. The Quake3 1.16n Point Release was released in the year 2000

I do no not want to see it fail like 1.32. I'm not saying 1.32 is dead, but it just all went in all sorts of directions and split up good communities. Now there is a chance to learn lessons from the past.

The irony is that many 1.16 players venture out to 1.32.. give them 24 hours, they'll be back.

Holy shit. I can't believe what I am reading here. Is this guy an idiot or is this the common belief in these forums?

I have been playing q3 for about 7 years now and I am a current quake live beta tester. I recently registered here and thought I'd give open arena a try. The first thing I see is this guy saying q3 1.32c is a failure. What is he smoking? Then he says pr 1.16 is better? I mean if you were to say that at any tournament as well as in any irc channel u would be laughed at horribly.

Just as comparison I fired up oa and matched its player count to q3 1.32 and it wasn't even close. I would hardly say 1.32 is a failure. In fact 1.32 cpma is the standard for every quake 3 tournament these days. Just because you have players playing various mods doesn't mean the pr is a failure. For those that play 1.16 pr and like it....thats fine. However I highly recommend you switch to 1.32 to experience better gameplay.

As far as OA goes, I think iks pretty damn cool. I'm really happy that an alternate form of quake is available and I will continue to play it. I have to say that as long as they push a new version out for the public, we should upgrade to it and test and then provide feedback. Playing an older version of pr just to "keep the community together" is not a valid reason.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: