Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Linux  (Read 7618 times)
jon_hill987
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: February 15, 2007, 10:18:26 AM »

I'm new(ish) to Linux (Kubuntu) and have no idea how to get Open Arena to run. I have downloaded the .tar.gz file but that is as far as I have got.

Any help much appreciated,

Jon
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 11:36:45 AM »

- open konsole this brings up a shell prompt.
type
Code:
man tar
into that shell prompt, this brings up the manual pages for tar and will go through all of its commands.

Now that you've done that, read through the commands list, and fully understood them create a new directory called openarena
Code:
mkdir openarena

move the tar.gz file into that directory.
Code:
mv oa*tar.gz /path/to/your/openarena/

move into that directory
Code:
cd /path/to/your/openarena/

Use your new found knowledge of tar gleaned from the man pages to extract the file into its own directory.  Easy.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 12:40:24 PM »

Create a Directory name OpenArena where you want the game to be. Usually in your home directory. Drag the .tar.gz into newly created directory.

Right click on the .tar.gz and go down to:

Extract > Extract Here

A small window should pop up and a few seconds latter files should appear in the OpenArena Directory. To run the game click on ioquake3.i386

If it doesn't run, right click it go to Properties > Permissions, then make sure the Is executable is checked(it will have a cross in it if it is checked). If its not check it and click Okay.

If it still doesn't run go into Adept and install libopenal. Once install try running the game again it should work.

jon_hill987
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 01:46:09 PM »

OK, I unpacked it into my home dir. It won't run so I tried looking in adept for libopenal but it doesn't seem to be on the list. I'm guessing it isn't in the repositories that adept is looking in. Do you know where I can find it?
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 01:52:29 PM »

In Ubuntu/Kubuntu the OpenAL libary is located in the universe repository.

It is called 'libopenal0a'

It can also be found here: http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/edgy/libs/libopenal0a

EDIT: Corrected
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:55:43 PM by sago007 » Logged

There are nothing offending in my posts.
jon_hill987
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 02:11:06 PM »

It is working now

Cheers all!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: