Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: corkscrews and headshots  (Read 7699 times)
hada
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: April 11, 2013, 03:46:30 PM »

i'm searching for headshotting abilities in old games for a long time, at least i find corkscrew mod but in this mod, because of the instagib mode that comes default the enemy still dies instantly and the mod don't cares where you hit... is anyone knows a way to workaround this ? i want the target only die instantly when you hit the head... any console commands or something... anything...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:03:17 AM »

I think that DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/CorkScrew]CorkScrew mod supports optional "head hunter" mode, where you have to hit the opponent in the head, in order to score.

I don't remember how that works exactly (if you hit the opponent somewhere else, do you kill him but your score does not change, or you don't kill him at all? I don't remember.).

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
hada
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:13:22 AM »

well i playing it right now it kills the target wherever you hit. head hunter mode is just summoning an item on the corpse and waiting you to collect it
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 03:45:42 AM »

Tried Corkscrew's head hunter mode. A single shot still kills a character, and does not change your score. If the shot hit that character's head, his/her head will appear floating: you have to grab it to score a point. You can alternatively simply "gib" a dead corpse to have its floating head appearing (also this feature can be enabled and disabled).

If you are searching for a mod where you can play normally (non instant-kill), but with instant-kill if you hit the head... I don't know. Maybe something exists, but I don't know. However, having just a single machinegun shot killing a player may be not so fair.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:00:37 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
hada
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 05:49:19 AM »

well i downloaded sources, in the file named g_weapon.c i searched instagib word and catched following line:

damage = 99999; // instagib of coz

interesting isn't it ? of course i know this is not going to end there... i don't have time and experience for this but maybe there is someone has ? who knows
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 06:12:40 AM »

I don't know what that "coz" means, however I can guess what you found is the "trick" that makes a single railgun hit kill anyone in a single shot in instantgib mode, because it does more damage than the maximum health one might have (hence, surely bringing his health to a value lower than 0).

However, I don't know if in baseoa source code you may find anything about shots localization (damage localization)... CorkScrew surely has got some trick that allows it to detect headshots, but I fear CorkScrew source code is not available.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:16:02 AM by Gig » Logged

hada
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 07:00:58 AM »

by not available, what u meant ? i found source from here: http://filesbigbox.com/File/belhf09lo09pg#

i read that "of coz" as "of course" actually... didn't thought it as a variable or something but who knows... source files commented well for a free and complex work like this i think, yes not very deep but there is a comment when you need one. i take a look at other files also and i think he used a non direct way to detect where the gun hits. he writed a code to follow the movement of something, i mean, if i understood clearly it is graphical based. not a simple code, command trick. his code actually follows some patterns to detect. if this is true it is also proves that it doesn't come from q3 sources, it is something unique that firestarter built. a workaround code or something, whatever.

but the real thing interests me in this the damage variables, if i can modify those correctly maybe i can quit before it starting too complex but i don't think i'm gonna find enough time, first of all i'm not a c programmer. but anyone could at least take a look at this and tell us it can be done easily or not, i'll surely going to appreciate
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 09:51:37 AM »

I didn't know CorkScrew sources were available. Interesting.
Unforutnately, it seems they are not GPLv2, so they cannot be directly copy-pasted into a strict GPLv2 project as the main OA. However, they can be used as hints to follow, or to create other mods that may re-use some of CorkScrew features.

This said, I'm not capable of creating a mod at all. Try sending a PM to Jackash3, the author of DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mods/Calypso]Calypso (an OA mod that allows to customize various extra things, e.g. damage and speed of each weapon). Who knows, maybe he may add an option that doubles the damage if you hit the head zone with any weapon... just an idea.... or maybe a "decaptation" option that would work with railgun only, instead.

Yes, it is possible that "of coz" may mean "of course"...

About the code to follow the movement of something, maybe you are referring to the "unlagged" technology. In the original Q3A, shots had no lag compensation, so some mods implemented their own (e.g. ZPM (Zero Ping Mode) and Unlagged mods), at least for "hitscan" weapons (machinegun, shotgun, railgun).... Some Q3 mods, such as DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/Unlagged_Rocket_Rail]Unlagged Rocket Rail, some versions of CorkScrew (and maybe also DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/Alternate_Fire]Alternate Fire, I'm not sure) included Unlagged features into them.
OpenArena has got its own "unlag hitscan" option (I think it's not directly copy-pasted from Unlagged -I suppose Unlagged mod wasn't GPLv2-), but I can guess that, when playing with DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mod_compatibility]old mods, it depends from each mod to have some kind of anti-lag features or not: most q3 mods don't have such feature.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 09:56:01 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: