Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SOLVED: Server .pk3 files  (Read 14944 times)
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« on: September 15, 2007, 02:39:10 PM »

When setting up a standard OA server all maps and .pak files are placed in /baseoa and this is also where the server looks for it's maps/files.
Naturally I would set the sv_dlURL to point towards: /openarena/baseoa and this works as it all should. When running modifications such as instagib, western, sha or anything else, is it then possible to create a sub-dir in the servers /baseoa, add maps specific for that mod, or extension, and then make the sv_dlURL pickup both the modification files for download, including the maps in respective sub-dir? I probably don't make any sense (as usual) but maybe this clarifies what I am asking for:

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 11:01:41 AM by w1zrd » Logged

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 03:11:30 PM »

I let sv_dlURL point towards /openarena and it works for both pk3s in baseoa and in the custom folders

There are nothing offending in my posts.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 04:51:51 PM »

I let sv_dlURL point towards /openarena and it works for both pk3s in baseoa and in the custom folders
I do the same and it works for everything as long as the .pk3 files are situated in /openarena/baseoa, if I add a sub-dir like /openarena/baseoa/ut_maps, then it doesn't pick them up with the sv_dlURL set to /openarena. What I am trying to do is to use maps in more places than straight in /baseoa, like in sub-directories for easier overview.

[somewhat off-topic]
Is it possible to use a shared map/model directory for ioquake3/quake3/openarena or do I need to have duplicated .pk3's if they run on the same physical server but on different ports?

next_ghost
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 03:24:12 PM »

Openarena can't see PK3s in subdirectories (eg. ut_maps) anyway but mods can see any PK3 in baseoa. You can always use symlinks if the server runs on Linux, Mac or anything UNIX-like.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 03:30:47 PM by next_ghost » Logged
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 11:01:20 AM »

Openarena can't see PK3s in subdirectories (eg. ut_maps) anyway but mods can see any PK3 in baseoa. You can always use symlinks if the server runs on Linux, Mac or anything UNIX-like.
Well, I did symlinks for all the maps outside of /baseoa so I would consider this as solved, thanks for the help.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »

[somewhat off-topic]
Is it possible to use a shared map/model directory for ioquake3/quake3/openarena or do I need to have duplicated .pk3's if they run on the same physical server but on different ports?

Just wanted to add an note here,

Yes. Instead of symlinking every  pk3 file you can just link the directory. Let baseoa be a symlink to baseq3 and your done. I do that on my server, I had already placed all my files on public_files but did a symlink so http://ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/baseoa/ is a symlink to http://ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/public_files/

There are nothing offending in my posts.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:53:09 AM »

[somewhat off-topic]

Just wanted to add an note here,

Yes. Instead of symlinking every  pk3 file you can just link the directory. Let baseoa be a symlink to baseq3 and your done. I do that on my server, I had already placed all my files on public_files but did a symlink so http://ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/baseoa/ is a symlink to http://ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/public_files/
Yes, making the entire directory is the best way to go. I also noticed that symlinks needs to be re-issused (logical) after maps have been added, something to keep in mind.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: