Poll
Question: Do you like the sound?
Yes - 5 (23.8%)
No - 16 (76.2%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New gauntlet sound  (Read 11508 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: September 15, 2007, 01:09:07 PM »

I'm getting mixed reviews of the new gauntlet sound Sad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJCa0bceh8Q

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 01:58:33 PM »

I'll make my voice heard with constructive criticism without complaining. I think that the new sound is a bit monotone and static since it loops on the same frequency/pitch. Personally I believe that people would go insane after listening to the sound of 5 people on a deathmatch server using it at the same time. Hard to explain as it is a sound, but it sounds out of place for the weapon type. It sounds like your standard chainsaw which can be found in any local S-mart for $10 on sale. In addition it might be a bit loud (yes I know this can be lowered in client settings) but it overpowers other effects sounds, you can barely hear shotgun sounds or chatbeeps. So, I'll vote no and hope this opinion helps somewhat in concluding..

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 02:24:57 PM »

Personally I'm not all to fond of it.

It's a bit to repetitive and you can clearly tell when the sound repeats itself. The High frequency of it doesn't help much making it very distinctive & stand out.

I think it would be better if the sound was lower and sounded like it had more grunt. Like the sound from a truck or tractor, kind a like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvKyoeBSKU&mode=related&search=
digitalhead
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 03:01:55 PM »

I agree with both of the previous posts with the exception that I don't think it should sound like a V8... especially since the type of motor on it would more than likely be a 1 cylinder like most handheld motorized tools. It sounds a bit too much like a chainsaw, maybe a little lower pitch and some sound of metal spinning against metal. Maybe a good idea would be the sound of a chainsaw only lower pitch along with a much quieter sound of a circular saw. If I had the recording equipment, I would try to record and combine the sounds as specified, but I'm a little limited in that area right now... about a year too late for that. Also, would there be a way to use a fade in sound as it spins up, then have a loop while it runs, and then a fade out as it spins back down? And that kind of motor probably should have an idle sound if it's possible rather than going from hard spin to being turned completely off. Just some ideas for it.

DH

Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 03:42:55 PM »

It sounds way too much like a leaf blower, I like the old circular saw sound better.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 03:43:45 PM »

the old sound was the same kind of chainsaw, but recorded from a distance and with a lot of noisefilter applied to it

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 04:08:21 PM »

The gauntlet should sound more like an overworked dremel than a chainsaw.

Kojiro_S
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

Har har har...

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 08:43:11 PM »

As I said before, I like the current sound as it is. The new sound reminds me of an electric knife.

*ROOOAAAR*
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 01:55:43 PM »

You win - sound is reverted.

very motivating :\

Logan

Cakes 2

I'm one of those Canadians you've heard about

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 04:44:30 PM »

Personally I'm not all to fond of it.

I think it would be better if the sound was lower and sounded like it had more grunt. Like the sound from a truck or tractor, kind a like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvKyoeBSKU&mode=related&search=

The sound of that truck there is certainly not an improvment. That sounds nothing like a chainsaw.

*Logan*

Let Me Kill You In Open Arena--> Digichalk 0.8.5
Let Me Kill You In Quake Live--> Logan26
Shael Riley
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 07:17:20 PM »

I didn't like the new sound. I think the old sound was ideal. I used to, like, click it rhythmically and kind of make a beat with it. I can't see that working with this new sound. Also, it does, as someone pointed out, sound like a leaf blower. Nothing intimidating, or fun, about a leaf blower.

Please keep the old one forever and ever, as it is perfect.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 07:19:17 PM by Shael Riley » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: