Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats up with the CTF servers??  (Read 114453 times)
kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 02, 2008, 04:09:17 AM »

So up until about a month ago there was a lot of activity on the CTF servers... now it seems like everyone clumps on one or two servers, and everything else is completely empty.  Is it really so fun to play with 12 people on a team??? I don't think so...   What happened to Viles servers and the CTF_BASES servers???
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 09:49:38 AM »

So up until about a month ago there was a lot of activity on the CTF servers... now it seems like everyone clumps on one or two servers, and everything else is completely empty.  Is it really so fun to play with 12 people on a team??? I don't think so...   What happened to Viles servers and the CTF_BASES servers???
Everyone with 4 year old or older computers fucked off.
Mainly because we get <15 FPS on the only decent CTF maps (oa_bases, Hydronex)

I don't play OA any more because of that.. Sad
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 10:11:29 PM »

Mainly because we get <15 FPS on the only decent CTF maps (oa_bases, Hydronex)

oa_bases... decent? D:
I think you mean oasago2f2 and oa_ctf4ish Tongue

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 09:55:06 AM »

Hm... ok... I don't really understand what all that means.  Could you explain it in laymans terms??
kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 03:14:51 AM »

Just wanted to bring this thread back to life because the situation seems even worse!  So many servers just sitting on the same map, all the interesting new maps are gone....  whats up with that?  Why can't the servers rotate atleast a few maps? 
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 10:58:22 AM »

I just switched my defrag server I didn't use back to a CTF one, with a few custom maps which should rotate.
Rotation is boring sometimes, so we prefer to stick to a map and vote only when we want to change.

Todo: Walk the cat.
kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 05:06:04 PM »

right on, which server is that?   I don't mind when it stays on the same server a while, as long as its possible to change it.  but you have to admit, some servers are really exclusive to one map... and some even to the same map as other servers with no voting possible.  I guess instead of complaining I should make my own server, but I wouldn't even know how to begin...
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 03:57:28 AM »

Are you in Europe or in the US ? (or elsewhere)
Coz IMO there are enough european servers to chose from.
The problem is even some servers stay empty.

kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 05:42:24 AM »

I'm in europe.  and yeah, there are plenty of servers but everyone clumps on one or two servers that always have the same map.  Come on people!  A little variety!
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 02:40:36 PM »

The problem is you can either play new maps on another server alone or the same old maps on the same old server with others. Unfortunately a bigger problem is no one, except maybe like 30-40 people, plays OA now. The project seems to be dying and the developer(s) seem pretty close to not updating anymore. We should figure out a way to raise the playerbase, because the more ppl playing means different maps, models, and enemies Smiley
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 03:03:08 PM »

The project seems to be dying and the developer(s) seem pretty close to not updating anymore
Hmm, in fact it's rather the contrary.
Some release dates have been fixed (see the Deadline on top of this forum page), and the project reorganizes itself to ease upcoming contributions.
That could be a good idea to promote OA though Wink
I'm quite interested in games running Linux, so I read several french news websites about it. From what I see I can say OA's popularity is rather good. ( just a few links to some recent news: http://www.jeuxlinux.fr/b528-Statut_OpenArena.html ; http://www.clubic.com/article-130082-3-fps-gratuits-mac-windows-linux.html ).
No worry to have Wink

Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 06:16:25 PM »

I've seen a lot about OA in publications, but I also play the game religiously and from what I can tell there aren't many people playing. Not as much as before that is.
kilgore
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 10:50:32 AM »

Yeah I understand the problem... there are few people playing worldwide relatively.... I'm on CTF servers (almost) daily and see mostly the same people on the same maps.   SOOOOO if any other CTF players are reading.... I will try and hang out more on other servers even if they're empty.  So if you see a server with only 1 or 2 players, please join!   The more people that are on it, the more will come. 

Promoting a cool free game should be easy... I guess its more of a question of who is going to do it and how!
Case

Cakes -3

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 07:34:44 PM »

The only ctf servers I've seen ppl on is Brutal and Vile
rashdawg
Half-Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 01:56:58 PM »

I wish people would play on the Texas servers (ie. ET CTF Tourney).  Then I would be around a 35 ping there, but mostly I have to just settle for Brutal and Vile's rails because they are the only two I am under 100 ping at that people actually play.

TheWorstOAPlayer aka RashDawg
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: