Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Map CTF_Spaceship  (Read 64796 times)
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 11, 2008, 05:21:04 PM »

This map is not finished yet, but I'd like some input on how you think it is.

ctf_spaceship.zip

This is my first map for Open Arena, I may be making more in the future, after this one is done.

Please tell me if I should change anything, a third path will be added in soon, It's been started, but it doesn't go anywhere yet.

Thanks!

Edit: Basic level design is finished, all that needs to be added is the extra details.

Pictures added, use the link below

Ctf Spaceship Screenshots

Edit: Moved some files around, so I had to redo the links
I had to fix the links again... Power outages are extremely annoying

Edit: Links fixed... again, they shouldn't go bad again, unless the server crashes that is.  Also, file has been updated

EDIT: I just uploaded a new version of the file, two sniper posts were removed, and the other two have had their doors removed.  Next version will be renamed "Pyrarrows Spaceship", a large number of items will be removed in the next version.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:08:16 PM by Pyrarrows » Logged
pharo212
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 05:40:46 PM »

Its an okay map.. you may have gone a bit too far with making sure its mirrored, and the textures are kinda bland. The weapon/health rooms are cool, and it is symmetrical, so its a working ctf map. Just needs the .arena file so I can see how it plays.
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 05:58:05 PM »

Thanks!

Added the .arena file, so it can be played in skirmish mode, the .aas file is compiled, so bots are on the map.  I'll be working on re-texturing the map as time passes, and the mirror in the dead-end hallway is just a placeholder...  Had the mirror right there, so just used the copy command (Don't want too short of a route for those bots!) The third path will be finished soon.

Also I put the mirror in the center hall to mess with the sniper posts on both ends of the level.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 06:58:35 PM »

So far so good, bit hard to comment when the layout is not finished yet, e.g. I guess that dead-end hallway is the third one you plan to extend.

There is a switch you press to open a hole in the ladder, and you fall into a small pool of water.  I'm guessing that is where the quad will be.  But you can't get out (another unfinished part?).  The jump pad that goes to the invisibility, once I get it I just fall into the lava O_o.  The raised walkways are also too narrow imo.

Lastly the slow-opening door that leads to that lava area, well would be better if it wasn't there.  Another thought was to put some big glass feature windows on the sides of the lava area.

HTH.
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 07:23:39 PM »

Yeah... that dead-end path is just there waiting for me to add to it.  The water doesn't follow the laws of physics (Or the back room has higher air pressure than the rest of the ship...) just swim in further, and look up. Wink  The invisibility requires some learning to get w/o falling into the smoke/lava/bad stuff... The reason for the blocking doors is to stop bots from getting it as easily (Used to have BFG there, Merman LOVES the BFG! I went splat, and the BFG went away...)

On the catwalks, I'll probably make them wider, but that's not high on my to-do list at this time, even though they were fun to make!

Explore some more, I'm betting that someone's wondering where the Shotgun Shells are!

edit: Does anyone know where a "Glass" texture is? I know that there is one in the SUCTION map, but I cannot find it in GTKRadiant.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 07:46:14 PM by Pyrarrows » Logged
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 12:56:50 AM »

Pics or it didn't happen..
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 02:34:41 AM »

edit: Does anyone know where a "Glass" texture is? I know that there is one in the SUCTION map, but I cannot find it in GTKRadiant.
The "glass" floors in Suction are not real textures, it is done by a shader (pasted below) and the "reflective" effect uses an environment map (which I have no idea how to create).

Code:
textures/suction/greenfloor
{
        qer_editorimage textures/suction/solid_green.jpg
        qer_trans 0.5
        surfaceparm nolightmap
        surfaceparm trans
        q3map_nonplanar
        q3map_shadeangle 160
        cull disable
        {
                map textures/suction/solid_green.jpg
                alphaGen const 0.45
                blendfunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
        }
        {
                map textures/suction/envmap.jpg
                blendfunc add
                tcGen environment
                tcMod scale 0.3 0.3
        }
}
pharo212
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 05:20:04 AM »

the roof is square, so you could make its spaceship-shaped by adding wings, engines, etc.
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 08:28:34 PM »

I'll be putting more detail into the level soon, after I finish the third path.  I think that I've found that envmap texture in the "Jump" texture/shader section, So I'll be placing it over some windows in the ship  The back room will have more pistons/other moving stuff, maybe two rotating things, to make it look like there is a running engine.  Thanks for the comments!
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 10:06:08 PM »

...I guess it's a double post.

I've finished the basic level design, and now I'm going to start adding more details, such as engines, wings, engine stuff... And I guess that I'll have to make a command console texture for the consoles in the ship's Bridge. 

The downloadable file has been updated

Oh also, it's impossible to fall out of the bridge, as far as I know. Smiley
pharo212
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 07:07:38 AM »

Nice bridge! Your right, it seems impossible to fall off of it.
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 10:54:57 AM »

Thanks!

making the bridge look nice took quite a lot of work.
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 12:11:19 PM »

I'd really like some pictures.. I'm too lazy to download it :p
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 11:00:34 PM »

Screenshots are posted, I don't have any combat ones at this time.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 09:28:55 AM »

that's what i call an armory Tongue

btw, avoid mirrors - they can slow down the framerate considerably on older hardware
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 10:25:59 AM »

I was thinking of the bases5 map when I made the armories... Lots of equipment in the bases, very little in the rest of the map.  Each path has it's ups and downs...

Play the level and find all the powerups!  More to come soon.

also there are only 2 mirrors in the level, the last set was replaced by a door that will not open. (or actually a wall with a door texture.)

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 06:35:52 PM »

I think your mirror in the main hallway is OK, it is not reflecting much geometry so shouldn't impact framerates much, unless you've detailed that hallway to the max since I played the prototype :-)
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 05:20:11 AM »

just my opinion - but i like when the weapons are spread all over the map - people move around to get powerups, ammo and weapons and the playing gets more dynamic. same thing with placing respawns at varying spots. i haven't tried your map yet though so i'm not sure how it's done.
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 10:15:23 AM »

I'll check on those things when I get GTKRadiant working again... Sad I just upgraded to the newest version if Ubuntu, and it lost a few required files, but I should find them sometime today.

Edit: It's working now, I was just looking in the wrong place for those files

I'm adding powerups in hard to get areas, if you take the center path, you may miss some of them
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 11:18:30 PM by Pyrarrows » Logged
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 08:45:01 PM »

Some powerups have been added to the map, there is a BFG again...

Unless you cheat, you'll die trying to get it Sad (It falls into deep space) I'm going to make it so you need the flying powerup to get the gun, and there are some plasma blasters on the front of the ship.......

Health and armor shards will be placed in back areas, it is possible to rocket-jump out of the bridge, if you don't mind the loss of a lot of rockets (You can shoot through the windows of the bridge!)

now I just need to add a few details, and engines to the ship!
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 04:36:22 AM »

I like your idea of the spacemap and gave it a run.
You've got good ideas and it would be very nice to see this map turning into something everybody likes to play. OA needs more CTF maps.

I agree with pulchr. It's nice to see such armory and weaponry rooms but it kills off gameplay. Imagine 4on4 fight: 3 players of the same team respawn and run for weapons. Due they're all located in the same small room everyone had to get through the same door and the first guy who enters collects too many weapons besides he's blocking the way for the others. Finally a good placed rocket by opposing team will hurt a lot and send two of the three into waiting queue for respawn.

In general bigger hallways would be nice and maybe 3 different ways to reach the flag instead of one. The map is lacking vertical action. If you're trying to resemble a spacestation like you did with the bridge then you should add some kind of storagerooms, restrooms that give you more room for fighting. Don't get too much into details while doing that but concentrate on good playability and reachability. Is it easy to get cover in such rooms or will you get stuck? A few dead ends are okay if it's awarding. It's weird when you have to walk this long, narrow hallway with a railing, covered foe at the end.

Okay, I guess I'm breaking the concept of your map so don't take me too serious here when you're trying to go for something different than an arena styled map. (eg. oldschool) I hope to see you continuing the development of this map.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 04:38:15 AM by cosmo » Logged

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 01:28:25 AM »

Hey Pyrarrows were you able to go on with your map?

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 01:31:24 PM »

The link doesn't work for me so I can't try it, but bfg is stupidly over powered no matter how hard it is to get and should never be included in maps as far as I'm concerned, and also flight powerups arn't good for game play either as the second you learn to strafe jump they effectivley quarter your speed and make you a massive slow-moving target.

Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 09:48:55 PM »

I've been having some network/computer trouble... Still trying to get my new machine set up...

Also a number of power-outages have caused the IP address of the server to change

ugh...

Finals week is coming very soon as well, so I should be able to get a large amount of work on the map then

Also, RAZ3R, I removed the BFG when I found out that merman was far too fond of it, and it was easy to get after you get a hang of it
Invisibility is there now

Now I'm dealing with a flying powerup that lasts WAAAYYYY too long

I'll fix the IP address soon
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 05:09:32 PM »

Well, I'm working on the map again, I did find that BFG, it fell into a 200 damage per second zone every time it spawned... Let's just say that I don't think that it is a problem now.

The new Open Arena looks very nice!  I like the new maps, since some of them gave me ideas of ways to add more detail to my map.

I'll have a new download up soon, I'd like for someone to tell me ways that I can add more detail, such as engines in the engine room

The powerups have been cleaned so they don't last nearly as long (Flight)

I need to see how well my map plays in the new Open Arena
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: