Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Map CTF_Spaceship  (Read 64808 times)
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 11:10:39 PM »

congrats on 0.7.7! As I said (A while ago) I've been testing this map, and I want someone to give me ideas on what to add, and how to add it (I'm having a hard time making realistic engines on the outside of the ship)

I'm also thinking of making it possible to get into the flag room from above the ship (The big windows in the rooms)
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 09:23:24 AM »

So tell us when a new beta is available for download. I will add new / testing maps to our server as soon as there are enough maps.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 12:55:35 AM »

There should be a new download up soon, I'm getting some things cleaned up on my machine at the moment...

It's up, there are now items in the halls, including some more powerups!

I still need help on making the outside of the spaceship look more realistic

It is tested and running with  the newest version of OA, bots are taking a new route now though
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:22:52 AM by Pyrarrows » Logged
Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 04:23:20 PM »

Hi Pyrarrows!

The map doesn't look bad. I especially like the screenshots from the storage room. But you definitely need more detail. I'll give more examples for you to see what I mean.

In front of the bridge you have some concrete structure resembling a scaffolding. This should be more detailed. If you were in a spaceship, you would have nice spectacular windows there.

Or the armories - they are painfully spartan. One texture per room is bad. Try redoing the armories. Maybe creating some storage lockers or shelves would do the trick, etc...

You also need to differentiate textures on the floor, ceiling and walls in order to help the player orient himself within the level. Plus, if something looks awkward, try to make your own textures or ask someone to create them for you. For example - in the bridge, you should have more hi-tech machinery - computers and such.

I don't want to dissuade you from creating hi-tech levels, but the need for detail and special textures is the exact reason why I prefer to map levels in medieval style.

Regardz, Czest

Jabber ID: Czestmyr (rolled-herring-sign) jabber.cz
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 09:19:18 PM »

Thanks for the good points, I'm going to get a darker metal texture for the floors, make the bridge larger, and add more to the engines, If someone would tell me how to make windows, I'd make some windows for the bridge

I'm going to add some more things, such as sleeping quarters, and modify the armories, maybe take out some of the more powerful things and place them into better hidden areas

EDIT: I've done some rennovations on the bridge, which will make a few cabin areas on the ship as well, The bridge is now about 3x larger than it used to be, There are now many more consoles (Nothing on them yet, as I havn't had the time to make any gfx...) Next on my list is the Engine room, and all the wasted space around it, and a small addition to the flag rooms

Did you find the hidden area in the engine room?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 01:08:57 AM by Pyrarrows » Logged
Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2008, 01:57:11 PM »

If someone would tell me how to make windows, I'd make some windows for the bridge

Hey man! Use your imagination! Wink You could try something like this:

Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 01:59:36 PM »

I think I could help you with some graphics for the consoles, etc... I wanted to do the CTF map - Facing Castles, but noone has expressed interrest in helping me yet, so I can help you. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 03:41:05 PM by Czestmyr » Logged

Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2008, 06:23:46 PM »

Thanks Smiley

The only problem that I'm having is making realistic looking glass in the windows, I'm just using clipping blocks,  Weapon attacks can go through, but not you!

Can you give me any ideas on what i should do with the ammo room?  I'm trying to figure out what I should do there...
Czestmyr
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Member, Player, Mapper

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 07:41:20 PM »

The only problem that I'm having is making realistic looking glass in the windows
Use The Fine Google, dude: http://www.wemakemaps.com/glass.htm

Can you give me any ideas on what i should do with the ammo room?
I don't like the idea of "armories" in the maps in general, but you could make the room bigger and place every item on a small piedestal or in a recession, in order to make the room less boring and rectangular. Realistic approach - placing the items on tables or inside cabinets - doesn't look good, IMHO.

Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 10:00:22 PM »

I havn't gotten a lot of work done on the map for a while,

I think I could help you with some graphics for the consoles, etc... I wanted to do the CTF map - Facing Castles, but noone has expressed interrest in helping me yet, so I can help you. Smiley

If that offer still stands, it would be nice if I could get some space-ship style gfx...

I should be able to do some work on the map again now.

I'm not fond of double-posting, so I'll say it here, I've made the last version of "CTF Spacesip" that I'll make, from now, it'll be Pyrarrow's Spaceship"  Once I start the editing, A large number of items will be removed, and the level will be cleaned up, more detals will be added too
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 11:26:05 PM by Pyrarrows » Logged
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 11:15:22 PM »

Ok, there will be one last version of CTF Spaceship, and then I'll start converting this map for Pyrarrow's Spaceship
(Mainly removing items, and making the ship look a little more spaceship-ish)

EDIT: I'll make sure that the file is uploaded in a .zip file this time...

EDIT2: new version is up, Elimination and DD mode are now available in this map Smiley
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 12:04:45 AM by Pyrarrows » Logged
jackmcbarn
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2008, 03:27:25 PM »

I can't seem to download it.  My browser says it can't connect to the server.
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2008, 01:57:42 AM »

Fixed...
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2008, 09:56:33 AM »

Nice to see that you're able to get on top of the box that will be a spaceship in future version. Please enlarge everything (hallways, rooms, ...) and have less straight floors.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 12:07:04 PM »

New link for this one as well:

http://www.onykage.com/files/armageddonman/rftvh/ctf_spaceship.zip

Disclaimer: I don't know if this is the final version.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:02:12 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2019, 09:04:53 PM »

Also reuploaded: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o86ea04qk8qmi0k/ctf_spaceship.pk3?dl=0

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Pyrarrows
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2019, 09:39:37 PM »

Kind of surprised to see this post near the top of this section again!  Can't edit the top post any more, probably due to the fact that this thread is ~11 years old now...  oof, where did the time go...

Starting to get back into Open Arena so I -might- start working on this map again, though I probably should create a new thread if I do.  For now, here's the links.

https://8bitworld.us.to/Other_Stuff/OpenArena/maps/ctf_spaceship/ctf_spaceship.zip

https://8bitworld.us.to/Other_Stuff/OpenArena/maps/ctf_spaceship/Pics

These are the final set of files that I released back in '08, so no changes at the moment.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2019, 08:18:58 AM »

Neat! I'll mirror it soon, for preservation purposes.

Most of us are now on Discord. I don't know if you're in the channel as well. If not, I can give you the invite link via PM.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2020, 09:28:39 AM »

Mirror MEGA

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: