Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Help  (Read 59823 times)
ecru
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 05:33:00 AM »

Bots are working on gamearena.

Another option are escapedturkeys servers with 'unlagged'.  http://escapedturkey.com/openarena/

Hi,

I have enabled bots and set bot_minplayers to 4, this means there will be constantly a minimum of 4 players with the balance taken by bots at all times in the server.

Regards,
Michael
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 10:27:34 AM »

Can anyone pls tell me where there are servers where they do not allow cheating.

Here are my experiences with the servers i played on.
the other players were so much harder to frag than me.
i get fragged by just a couple of hits from the machine gun.
other players were taking up to 4 hits with the rocket launcher.
i was spied on two separate servers by a spectator.
disconnected.

is Open Arena the cheaters game or wtf.

No one cheats in OpenArena, they're just better than you, no if's, no buts!

Wow, OpenArena has more players than Quake4? Congrats!!!

Any game you can think of has more players than quake4 =).

I've been contemplating ideas for server cvars such as sv_maxmip and sv_allowVertex and sv_maxfov for more 'forced fairness' servers to be run and kicking out players with inappropriate cvar values automatically. We don't have Punkbuster (And we never will) to do this for us so hrm.

These are the kinds of things that should be limited in mods (e.g. cpma's fov 130 limit), NOT in the main game. And if you limited (for example) the fov then what to? 110? So that's completley biased against the 120/130 fov players, as the game didn't come with 110 fov out the box anyway, so you should limit everyone to fov 90 and watch all the good players quickly leave the community from all exits.

The higher the fov the harder it is to aim, it's all personal preference as to what value it should be, and you say quake3 didn't come like that out the box... it did! Why do you think the console commands are there? People have been tweaking settings like this since the first quake and these settings have never been banned at quakecon or other competitions.

Casual players come and go, in the end you get left with the better players and if you don't list to them and instead listen to some complete noobs as to what is good and bad for the game then there's no hope for OpenArena.

And on vertex lighting.. it help visibility which is good as quake3 arena isn't a stealth game, though I actualy need it as I can't get a stable fps without it! Some people still have crappy computers.

edit: and saying quake4 died because of ambient lighting, just... lol.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:33:06 AM by RAZ3R » Logged

kr3am
Nub

Cakes 1

Kitty at work

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 07:48:08 AM »

Yeah RAZ3R, i get it now and thanks everyone for being helpful.
When a new player is first confronted with being fragged by someone who is not in their fov but should be because the other player has their fov set at a much higher rate seems like outright cheating. Also the strafe jumping and sheer speed that pro players get seems really sus. i have read the boards and stuff and  know this is not cheating but feel the game loses players at the early stage on account of this. They show up on the server, get their butts fragged a few days in a row and never show up again. If i may put forward a suggestion, a RAZ3R,s page for noobs could work, gives them the knowledge so they can push on through the early stages.
Also it might be helpful if  pro players agreed on some sort of etiquette about noobs, i dunno, just a thought.

~~((-_-))~~ Coz Its a bittersweet symphony ~~((-_-))~~
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 08:42:05 AM »

I already made one of those http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1651.0 =).

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 09:10:20 AM »

Also it might be helpful if  pro players agreed on some sort of etiquette about noobs, i dunno, just a thought.
This is something that's been on my mind too recently.  I'm not a pro player, far far from it, but I can recognise a noob and I'm not really sure how to handle it.  On the one hand I don't want to frag them so heavily that they get really disappointed and not come back.  On the other hand I don't want to deceive them by playing at a lower rate, you can sometimes sense when people are doing that and (for me) it's quite a bad feeling, not a worthy opponent kind of thing, even though they are good sports for doing it.

So right now my philosophy is: if I get into a battle with a noob then I'm going do my best to win that battle, but if I see a noob running down a certain hallway or standing still in a corner shooting the machine gun then some/most of the time I won't go after them (depending on noobishness).
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2008, 09:18:20 AM »

Most of this auto called "PRO players" are jerks, but there are some others like W1zrd --Im talking about him because he taught <<ME>> everything about strafe jumping, rocket j, plasma climbs & runs and some other tricks-- Who help to the new ppl in OA.
I really dont like to call this ppl NOOBs or something simillar, its just cruel and a lot of players have left the game because of that "mistreatment".
Im always trying to help new ppl if they want to learn about sj, rj, etc... Like now at days this guy called Bubba, hes new in OA but I try to encourage him to keep playing and so he will get better, at the very begining everyone of us sucks...

There is the other side of the coin too, some new ppl that really deserve to be called NOOBS, because of their attitudes, some players (including ME) are tired of being called "cheaters" when we sj and of course we're faster than them, so this shitty ppl just leave the game no whitout before calling u "cheater", "looser", "asshole", "freaking-bunny-hopper", etc...

That's one of the reasons why some "pro" players hate or mistreat new gamers ("noobs").

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
kr3am
Nub

Cakes 1

Kitty at work

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2008, 09:47:36 AM »

i read your tutorial and downloaded the demo's RAZ3R, before i made my last post. They were very informative thank you heaps.
What i meant to say was it could form the basis of some quick start strategy for new players and be very visible to them, a kind of read this first thing, that they just can't miss not seeing it. It would certainly clear up a lot of the confusion new players have.

~~((-_-))~~ Coz Its a bittersweet symphony ~~((-_-))~~
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2008, 10:21:55 AM »

Well I don't mind writing more and posting it on this forum, I guess anyone who genuinly wants to get better will visit here at some point. And if any thread is particularaly helpful pester an admin to make it sticky, else eventualy it will fade in to obscurity.

skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

OpenArena 1.0.0 - /cg_roaminganimals 1 ; /cg_flipf

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2008, 07:05:31 PM »

Most of this auto called "PRO players" are jerks, but there are some others like W1zrd
That's one of the reasons why some "pro" players hate or mistreat new gamers ("noobs").

Very true about w1z, always gives sound advice. Some so called pro's listen to any old crap and preech when they lack the understanding themselves.
pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2008, 09:59:26 PM »

the way i see it, there are two kinds of "noobs" in the game, real new players and people who are just assholes. truly new players i generally try to avoid so they dont get discouraged, but there are some noobish assholes who play the game (especially DM) who have no skill other than to constantly camp on certain maps to artificially boost their frag count instead of learning how to actually play the game. these people i tend to go after exclusively because they ruin the game for other lesser skilled yet honorable players. they tend to panic once someone like me is able to avoid their shots and kill them. in almost every case, these same people once you get them to stop camping by proactively hunting them down in their favorite camping spots show very little actual movement or accuracy skill. unfortunately almost none of them speak english (in fact, most of them are polish) so even if you tell them to stop they either ignore you or say some random jibberish in their native language and resume camp laming. most of my friends and i have actually quit playing DM because these camping noobs actually make it EASIER for us since they are always in predictable locations. i mean, im far from a pro player yet these kids allow me to almost always dominate DM servers simply because they hold everyone else but me and a few other skilled players down. funny thing is, i dont really remember any of this crap ever really happening on the Q3 servers i used to frequent. ah well, thank goodness for ctf, where most players at least have some sense of respect and have actual skill outside of camping.

ive never really been called a "cheater" or anything for strafe jumping, rocket jumping, or otherwise abusing the OA engine, but i have gotten some nasty remarks from people when i come in the middle of a DM match and end up winning thanks to a camper. ive had quite a few campers just plain quit the server because of it as well. doesnt just happen to me either, ive been in some heated DM's where at least one other "good" player is beating me, while everyone else is in the gutter due to some asshole camper me and the "good" player(s) keep taking out in between the camper getting multiple kills.

ah well, sorry for my rant running a bit long, just kinda been holding this back a while and it had to go somewhere x.x
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 11:46:37 PM »

A lot of hate toward Poles flying around these days, though I can't say I've really seen the evidence to back it up :/.

skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2008, 02:40:04 AM »

aw, don't be mean to the polaks. On some servers you get cases of polakititus (I dont know how else to describe it), they are just kids who don't speak much English. They hang around in clumps. They are common on 1.16, I usually control it by telling them only one Polak is allowed to play at one time if they start their nonsense. They normally behave but they like big loud weapons and 700 g_speed with anti-gravity boots. If you create a server with the word KURWA in the hostname it helps contain them a little. Even my Polish friends laugh at them. Cheesy Tell them  kurczak is coming and they will behave. Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 02:42:40 AM by skankychicken » Logged
<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2008, 09:15:54 AM »

A lot of hate toward Poles flying around these days, though I can't say I've really seen the evidence to back it up :/.

<<ME>> either Cheesy
Not only polish ppl is acting like an ass... remember that...! the nationality does not make any difference when someone is a jackass naturally Sad

pikaunforgiven
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2008, 09:57:22 AM »

i didnt mean to make it seem like i hate people from poland or anything, just stating an observation that i personally find to be true in most cases i run into. there are a few people from other countries that do the same crap, but the vast majority in my observations are from poland for some reason.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2008, 11:13:06 AM »

I once had an idea of a game called "I hate this game" or "JCIVOAPDG (John Carmack's Ideal Vision Of A Perfect Deathmatch Game)"
it'd feature flat bright colors for textures, high fovs, and extreme exploit framerates
and the most unimaginative characters ever. topped off with an original chiptune soundtrack to give you headaches
it'd at least give those 'pros' a home.
i DID do a game like this before in 2003 but that was more of a parody of 1991 and not really focused on competitive play.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 11:15:18 AM by leilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2008, 11:19:14 AM »

hahah.. sorry pika. I know what you meant and of course I dont think you were being mean Cheesy

I fully understand what you mean, yes there are idiots from everywhere but it's a strange observation that most people will never understand. We use a train server and people can shoot but do no damage to other players. Quite often someone will just pelt you with rockets to annoy you and I'm like, ah shit, a Polak. Cheesy 99% of the time I would be right.

Maybe it's just the vast amount of players from there, and comminication is limited so some of them just want to get some kind of reaction. Yes I know many players who I talk with from Poland and we all have a laugh at this observation together. Cheesy

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2008, 11:27:31 AM »

i don't think rocket jumping is cheating though, I also have this habit too since the Quake days, it's a legal use of the rocket launcher.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2008, 01:21:46 PM »

the way i see it, there are two kinds of "noobs" in the game, real new players and people who are just assholes.
thats the difference of newbs and n00bs Wink
newbs = someone new, but willing to get better
n00bs = people who are just bad and are assholes because they are bad

i've played lots of opernarena and i've never encountered anyone that i suspect cheat.

however, there are a big difference between experienced players and not so experienced players. i'm not saying that you're not good - but accuracy and picking up armour means a lot. also latency can play a big difference when it comes to how to play.
I completly agree, there is a huge skill range, and a huge learning curve if your comparing yourself towards the top players. The top players who you may suspect of hacking, probably just have really good a)console knowledge b)movement knowledge c)weapon knowledge. Thats what makes it such a great game.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 01:32:16 PM by Gerbil » Logged

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
TheMechanicalHand
Bigger member

Cakes -1

Birdo

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2008, 05:09:28 PM »

the way i see it, there are two kinds of "noobs" in the game, real new players and people who are just assholes.

i've played lots of opernarena and i've never encountered anyone that i suspect cheat.
yea same i've never ran into a cheater and i have been confronted by asshole n00bs
and i dont even think u can even cheat while online play and getting confronted by n00bs doesnt
happen to me anymore bcause ive gone a bit rusty

but the answer for kream is to keep playing i've been playing for 2 years now and im not all bad Smiley

And in this moment Seconds stop and I burst with clarity, A wealth of love and hate gone blank For I finally remember my fucking name!! What do you want! i breathe wind, the clarity is gone, and my pulse is faint!
ecru
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2008, 07:50:04 PM »

It seems there are two classes of cheaters.

1.  Those who use external assistance to get an advantage - eg wallhacks, aimbots etc.  I think limiting variables is reasonable providing it takes account of variations needed to make the game playable on different hardware and operating systems, and for different styles.  But it comes back to personal integrity.  In rtcw:et, limiting variables, punkbuster, guid bans, ip bans etc don't stop people who want to cheat, at best it makes them do a bit of research first.

2.  Those who won't play the game how the accuser wants them to.  People who can rocket jump effectively deserve this (but as soon as I can do it, they should be honoured Smiley)  Similarly somebody who runs the map on rails deserves to be camped, and campers deserve to have their camping spots spammed.  Different maps can favour different playing styles and strategies - this is one of the great things about custom maps.

<< ME >>

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2008, 11:02:55 PM »

It seems there are two classes of cheaters.

1.  Those who use external assistance to get an advantage - eg wallhacks, aimbots etc.  I think limiting variables is reasonable providing it takes account of variations needed to make the game playable on different hardware and operating systems, and for different styles.  But it comes back to personal integrity.  In rtcw:et, limiting variables, punkbuster, guid bans, ip bans etc don't stop people who want to cheat, at best it makes them do a bit of research first.

No way to cheat in a pure server.!

2.  Those who won't play the game how the accuser wants them to.  People who can rocket jump effectively deserve this (but as soon as I can do it, they should be honoured Smiley) Similarly somebody who runs the map on rails deserves to be camped, and campers deserve to have their camping spots spammed.  Different maps can favour different playing styles and strategies - this is one of the great things about custom maps.

Lovely pic. Cheesy
And Camping.. omg, If you call that a game style then you should use this right now. Its totally and let me say it again TOTALLY different from a defensive strategy, stay in one fucking place and keep shooting to ur enemies is not "defense" thats -stupidity-, playing at defense is controlling ur entire base, walking like a damn soldier around the flag and running after ur enemy of he gets it. Its not taking over and over and over again the weapons, health, armor, etc... only for you and shooting like a crazy cow without looking where first.

RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2008, 11:22:51 PM »

There are ways of cheating in a pure server, and also there are too kinds of camping... n00b camping, which is where you spawn next to the rail gun, then stay there all game until you die just firing all the time, then there's strategic camping, where you may camp armour until it respawns (for example)... camping isn't a bad thing, n00b camping is.

skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »

There are ways of cheating in a pure server

How?

If this so then please let me know as i see no point in pure then.
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2008, 01:06:36 AM »

see pm.

skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2008, 01:47:08 AM »

ah ok i get the point. So i think RAZ3R is suggesting that playing on pure servers does not mean that you are immune to cheats and probably best considered an admin tool that ensures that you game mod matches the servers.

Without pure, users can use model/sounds etc, users can freely use their own 'modified' stuff.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: