Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: CTF MAP: Inner Yard  (Read 42416 times)
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« on: April 04, 2008, 02:52:45 AM »

Rising another CTF map because OA needs it.
Again, playtesting is required. Itemplacement can be very difficult (as well as spawnlocation layout).

Gameplay testing has already been done a bit and I feel more comfortable with current layout to release beta 1. Don't be shocked by screenshots I post here. The map is not as dark as they are. Somehow my mac q3map2 produces different results and ioquake renders more brighter so I always have to check how it looks on windows which can be difficult 'cause I don't own such a machine. At the moment performance should be good but I'd like to add more details to some of the walls to have a less plain feeling. (Thanks to kit89, I created mostly everything regarding to blocksize so I didn't need a single hint brush and got VIS working in a fine way.)
The whole map took me 3 days now. Help me to improve it.

file: http://cosmo.spaceboyz.net/openarena/ctf_inyard.pk3 (Save link as...)

If you're interested in skinning my teleporter model, drop me a line, I'll send you everything you need.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 07:46:16 PM »

Looks absolutely great!

I know you're after comments on gameplay, sorry I'm just going to comment on some things that don't look good imo (probably stuff you are already planning to fix).

top left: ugly gap in the ceiling

top right: those diagonal edges seem too "sharp" to me, specially when you walk/fall through the gap (to underneath).  Plain vertical edges would be better.

bottom left: the blue flourescent lighting stops awkwardly at the corner, should flow around the corner.

bottom right: you said that some walls needed more details, and those walls with the flags have the biggest need imo, some kind of red/blue motif on each side.  Also the bit of flourescent lighting on the slope above doesn't look good and wouldn't be missed.

Hope that helps
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 09:14:34 PM »

Cool Map Cosmo! I really like how you set up the courtyard such that you can rocket-jump between the three levels. That or nick the lip and fall into the abyss. Smiley

There seem to be a lot of straight-aways between the two bases. This could be frustrating for people who don't strafe-jump. Maybe some of the paths could be made less hospitable for that type of movement (ie uneven ground, low doorways, extra RG, etc)?

I'm a fan of areas to stand above doorways ( for ambush ala Tremulous ) but that's a matter of taste.

I''m afraid I'll need to play the map against real people before I can give you a better opinion. Do you know of any servers with this map in rotation. Smiley
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 10:32:33 AM »

Thank you guys, that was helpful.

@andrewj: I fixed that issues which were not all known to me at release time so this is big help!

@Snickersnack: Beta release was in rotation on an european server for a short time and I was able to had some fun there. Better (balanced) maps would be available if there is a bigger testing community. Wink
I understand what you're saying about a Tremulous-themed map. I've been planning something like this on paper a half year ago. Right now I intended to have straight ways and fast gameplay because it's quiet entertaining to fight in this area and I wonder what kind of strategies will arise for teams.

I'm glad you helped me. I regard this map as done and will commit everything to leileilol as soon as 'Repulsion' is finished.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 04:45:49 AM »

I really liked this map, nice fast pace action.

I did find it initially difficult to find where the flags where. Maybe make it more distinctive where the flags are located?

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 06:46:51 AM »

Bold coloured arrows on the floor to find flagroom easily? Wink
You might be right. Anything but a little podest would take some serious brushwork which I'm unable to do at the moment.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 07:17:08 AM »

I was thinking more of a small podium for the flag to be placed on with a bright light(colour co-ordinate of course) to make it more visible. Smiley
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 07:21:15 AM »

looks nice. :-)

a little ot…

you're mapping on os x, right?
if yes, did you managed to get a working bspc?
Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 07:22:44 AM »

Cosmo, you are my hero.

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 09:06:05 AM »

A small podium will be added. Wink

@Gerbil: I'm just a happy mapper.

@jackoverfull: Yes I'm mapping on osx, no there is no version of bspc for PowerPC. If you've got an Intel Mac you might be on the lucky side. I'm using my friends windowsbox for this. Anyway q3map2 is working for me and that's more important.

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 09:31:05 AM »

@jackoverfull: Yes I'm mapping on osx, no there is no version of bspc for PowerPC. If you've got an Intel Mac you might be on the lucky side. I'm using my friends windowsbox for this. Anyway q3map2 is working for me and that's more important.
ok, thanks.

this summer i tried to build it, but there seems to be some endianess problems… :-(
the final binary always crashed with segfault.
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 04:30:35 PM »

I put some work into the map. Maybe it gets more attractive or you have any hints how I can improve it further.
So here are my changes for V2:

• Additional way up from lower levels
  • Double Domination Spawnpoints
  • Grenadelaunchers replaced by Nailguns (2x)
  • Chaingun added to new Jumppad area
  • Many texture improvements and replaces as they were intended to be in first place but OA didn't have those in the final release
  • Lightningbug fixed, improved lightning, better compilation settings
  • minor brushworks

I fear I underestimated the nailgun as I fought against bots it's been the deadliest weapon around. Chaingun is pretty lame and as bullet impact is missing so far I'm uncertain why I'm not hitting with it often. Map doesn't appear in skirmish menu for new gamestypes (Double Domination, ...) but is capable of them. I didn't add another arenas.txt because I don't want to mess with current OA 0.8

Just run it via '/map ctf_inyard'

Download: http://cosmo.spaceboyz.net/openarena/v2_ctf_inyard.pk3 (Save target as...)

Screenshot:

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »

And what if you do a ctf_inyard.arena with info like a single map has at arenas.txt and put it in the scripts folder? Tongue

Let's check it out...

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 04:40:34 PM »

I checked it out and it's great.. once I copied my maps to baseoa then all I see is the custom maps. Is there a link and ss's of the default maps on the site? I ended up have to dig through the svn stuff since there is no naming strucure for the game maps.
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 06:20:48 PM »

I quite like it. (only the model of the portal [with the white noise] I dislike).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/qubodup/tags/inneryard/

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 02:02:24 PM »

Releasing Beta 1 of ctf_inyard_v3.

Download http://cosmo.spaceboyz.net/openarena/ctf_inyard_v3_b1.pk3 (Save link as...)

Screenshots:

Changes: several.
  • removed fog of death - more arena themed now
  • less straight and boring
  • no more pillars in flag rooms
  • gameplay changed much

Feel free to tell me how to improve it further.

chaoticsoldier

Cakes 18

This space intentionally left blank.

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 01:00:42 AM »

Oh wow, I like it! It is much improved and is very interesting to play. The "L" shape of the map is a pleasant change from the bases always being directly opposite.

The only problem I had was when using the teleporter in the red base. The destination thingy faces a wall, so when you come out of the teleporter you are suddenly stopped dead in your tracks.

The gameplay is a lot better. This is a great map!

0101100101101111011101010010011101110110011001010010000001101010011101010111001101110100001000000111011101100001011100110111010001100101011001000010000001111001011011110111010101110010001000000111010001101001011011010110010100101110
PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 02:18:17 AM »

Very impressive improvement. The map works very nice and looks great too. My only issue with it now is those launch pads. I think they need to look more significant - it felt like a lucky guess when I jumped onto it and went flying.

Very incredible, cosmo.

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 03:20:18 AM »

Yeah a really great reworking!

There is a dead-end where you come out of the bases on one side (right side for blue) and has a railgun there.  I think the "doorway" should be removed and just have a normal wall there.  The doorway gives the illusion of going somewhere (somwhere very dark) but it doesn't.   You could also remove the floor trim there and integrate the jump-pad in further, so it flows more obviously.

There are little ramps at the end of each central walkway out of the bases, and at first I thought they were jump pads to the central raised platform (near RA).  That would actually be the more natural kind of flow [it seems a bit weird to come out the front door and then have to fall down], but I guess that would make the flag-to-flag path too fast and make the lower levels redundant again.

HTH Smiley
feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 07:24:35 AM »

I like it! Wink

ill miss old version tho Smiley

Id be nice that you could rocket jump from the side platforms to the middel platform... right know its too far apart

Whatever i say in this post is true unless fromhell said otherway. In that case I disagree with what I just wrote. I meant to write what fromhell said.
-------
I also would like to add that im not a chick. I use this model coz i like the thong of the sorceress when i die (witch rarely happens) Smiley
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 09:13:51 PM »

Id be nice that you could rocket jump from the side platforms to the middel platform... right know its too far apart
Hmm, I did it on my second attempt, and I don't even have magic FPS 75 or 125.
feLiZ_naVidAD
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 06:32:12 AM »

ok, i admit it... i only tried once lol :$

Whatever i say in this post is true unless fromhell said otherway. In that case I disagree with what I just wrote. I meant to write what fromhell said.
-------
I also would like to add that im not a chick. I use this model coz i like the thong of the sorceress when i die (witch rarely happens) Smiley
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 01:59:49 AM »

Thanks guys. Your hints are appreciated and it's nice to hear you're already experimenting with rocket jump reachability.

I had good test games yesterday evening. The map seems to be pretty big and it's minimum playercount seems to be 3 on 3 but gets better with 5 on 5.

I'm going to fix the things you suggested. The launchpads will be redone and more obvious in final version. I need to test distance because if you jump on the pad you're going too far and hit the wall above on the other side.
Another thing to consider will be replacing the sideway patch mesh arches by brushes to improve performance and have some more freedom to add details and wall textures don't look too repetitive.
Location entities need to be repositioned and I'm going to remove the railgun in the center of the map. Maybe an additional rocketlauncher should be down in the yard instead of just rocket ammo. A few more health items won't be bad too.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 11:26:55 AM »

I've sent you an email with tips regarding inyard_v3.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 02:39:52 PM »

I've played a bit of ctf_inyard on Domination mode, I have some suggestions for this map in this mode.

1) What about moving the point Central Platform to the floor instead of taking the place of the Railgun? That can make the map more dynamic in this mode. The same can be for the neutral flag/skull generator on 1FCTF & Harvester. I guess that will make the map more interesting.
2) I've noticed that everyone in X team will spawn in X base, near of their flag. What about placing info_player_starts (for Dom, of course) all over the map and leaving the team_CTF_Xspawn/player for the other modes?
3) One more thing, what about putting two more DOM points, one per base? The map is big enough for 5, too big for only 3. Those points can be located at the other side of the bases, the actual base points are well placed IMO.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: