Poll
Question: Do you like the new control and feel?
No - 24 (57.1%)
Yes - 18 (42.9%)
Total Voters: 40

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you like the new SDL input?  (Read 93847 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 06:28:06 AM »

i've got an expensive mouse and it still is affected by this sdl change

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 08:44:36 AM »

i suggest you also to lower the texture detail: oa is more demanding than q3 and 0.7.6 is (at least for me) more demanding than 0.7.1, it lagged a lot with my old graphic config.

oh great.. just when i get my config right theres more glitter. how do i disable all this shit and see what the gameplay is like?

I love art and design with all the effects, but i also like to play with weapons and  not a panoramic kodak to run around taking snap shots.

just go in setup>system and lower the texture detail. it was enough to have a decent gameplay for me...
kr3am
Nub

Cakes 1

Kitty at work

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 10:51:25 AM »

I don't get either the apologetic posture of some of those who don't notice anything due to pure luck or lack of perception.

Lack of compassion that you don't have got the right mouse which compensates the sdl input crap Wink

Yes but this is just a bandaid, SDL is not so good eh, it is screwing it up for me too, i never liked it.

~~((-_-))~~ Coz Its a bittersweet symphony ~~((-_-))~~
jackthompson
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 05:44:30 AM »

The mouse input code has been changed in rev1341 of ioQuake3 (yesterday).

It's supposed to behave exactly like the old windows code now on all platforms.

If you play Q3A take these binaries and test it...

Windows: http://ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/lnussel/ioquake3/ioquake3-1.35_SVN1341-3.1.x86.exe
Linux: http://ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/lnussel/ioquake3/ioquake3-1.35_SVN1341-6.1.i386.run
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 10:45:56 AM »

If you play Q3A take these binaries and test it...

If you play OA use these (only Windows and 64 bit Linux):
http://brie.ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/public_files/oabin-test-2008-05-07.zip

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Derity
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 12:15:22 PM »

the ioquake didnt change anything for me...

bye...
aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 01:21:52 AM »

jack thompson sent me a ioquake.i386 (1.45 rev 1341) for openarena and finally i can enjoy openarena _with_ sdl
kernel panic
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2008, 03:31:43 AM »

jack thompson sent me a ioquake.i386 (1.45 rev 1341) for openarena and finally i can enjoy openarena _with_ sdl

And, uhm...is there any possibility that not only Jack and his closest cronies enjoy the benefits of this 'project X' forged in the darkness?

PS. Oh, by the way, the 'mouse input -1' doesn't actually do it...
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2008, 03:36:18 AM »

And, uhm...is there any possibility that not only Jack and his closest cronies enjoy the benefits of this 'project X' forged in the darkness?

Look three posts above your own.

kernel panic
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2008, 06:55:53 AM »

Look three posts above your own.

Three posts above his own later...

If you play OA use these (only Windows and 64 bit Linux):
http://brie.ostenfeld.dk/~poul19/public_files/oabin-test-2008-05-07.zip

I must be missing something really simple here. I am on 32 bit Linux. Are you suggesting me to use the 64 bit version...? Are they interchangeable? If so, why specifying '64 bit' version instead of just 'Linux' version?
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2008, 02:23:01 PM »

I must be missing something really simple here. I am on 32 bit Linux. Are you suggesting me to use the 64 bit version...? Are they interchangeable? If so, why specifying '64 bit' version instead of just 'Linux' version?

I am not suggesting you use the 64 bit version. I was under the impression that there was no problem under Linux and therefore I didn't look for a 32 bit machine to build on. The 64 bit version is only included because it was simple to create it.

kernel panic
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 04:31:06 PM »

Fair enough, sago. I hope this issue gets solved somehow anyway.
aantipop
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2008, 07:01:57 AM »

heres a 32bit linux binary to use with 0.7.6:
its ioquake 1.35 svn revision 1341:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8psl3k

othello
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2008, 07:08:50 PM »

There is no way around SDL for cross platform gaming.

You could try glut. I've just started using it instead of SDL in my programs, so I don't really know if it's too different or better/worse.
jackthompson
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »

You could try glut. I've just started using it instead of SDL in my programs, so I don't really know if it's too different or better/worse.

or move the id's original GPL release from scons to make, make it compile on Mac again, add the download-to-httpd-redirect, and rightfully claim to be the only game that uses id Tech 3... Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 11:28:45 PM by jackthompson » Logged
skankychicken
Lesser Nub

Cakes 1

OpenArena 1.0.0 - /cg_roaminganimals 1 ; /cg_flipf

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2008, 04:31:47 PM »

JACK THOMPSON!!
jackthompson
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2008, 11:32:05 PM »

skankychicken!!!! <3

\:D/
iLeft.bye

Cakes 1

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2008, 05:46:30 AM »

oh god
fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2008, 06:03:04 PM »

The input on old Q3 versions is definately slightly different from the latest versions. I havent really checked it out but for sure the earlier version is far superior if so.

It's not a major difference but much easier to control at a slower rate, especially if you slowly decrease mouse movements. I understand people might prefer what they are used to but difficult to describe or say it's worse or better if you didnt have the oppertunity to compare them properly. 
Gee055
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2008, 06:04:49 PM »

Hello all of you! can anyone help me i'm new here...

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?board=29.0
Fitacus
Lesser Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2008, 04:13:07 AM »

The input on old Q3 versions is definately slightly different from the latest versions. I havent really checked it out but for sure the earlier version is far superior if so.

It's not a major difference but much easier to control at a slower rate, especially if you slowly decrease mouse movements. I understand people might prefer what they are used to but difficult to describe or say it's worse or better if you didnt have the oppertunity to compare them properly. 

I repeat myself => It's all about the preferences

in_mouse -1 = Q3 1.16 feeling
in_mouse  1 = Q3 1.32 feeling

Blame direct input for all your whine! Wink

Here a nice description concerning this cvar

in_mouse -1
Captures the position the Windows cursor and passes that info to the game to change the camera angle. Once that is done for a frame, the cursor is returned to the center of the screen. There is nothing else applied to the data until it gets to the sensitivity, acceleration, m_yaw, and m_pitch part of the code.

Pros: -As responsive as you can get
-It's accurate

Cons: -The cursor can clip the edge of the window and not be able to go further, resulting in negative acceleration. The higher your Q3 resolution and framerate, the less you will run into this problem (800x600 is pretty much safe for any sens, 640x480 might have some clipping with low sens). Higher mouse sampling rates or r_finish should also be used to prevent Q3 from getting 2 or more large mouse samples in one frame.
- Must use CPL mouse fix (or alternative) to eliminate Windows enabling Pointer Prescision automatically for games in WinXP.

in_mouse 1
Uses DirectInput to directly acces the mouse, bypassing the windows cursor. It also applied ~12ms worth of mouse smoothing automatically before reaching the sensitivity and acceleration part of the Q3 code.

Pros: -No negative acceleration
- Works independantly of Windows cursor settings (i.e. sensitivity and Pointer Prescision)

Cons: -Uncontrollable mouse smoothing which adds latency to mouse actions.
- Delay when clicking mouse (click -> wait 12ms -> shoot = bad)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 04:28:40 AM by Fitacus » Logged

"The things you own, they end up owning you."
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2008, 09:16:14 AM »

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1515298

By  arQon ++++ - Reply to #4
Someone's looking at the wrong codebase... Tongue

1: DirectInput mouse: *by far* the best option
0: no mouse support
-1: WM mouse: crap, still exists solely because it was the pre-1.17 default and the whine was earth-shattering

By  cheese81u812 : - Reply to #10
People say there's some automatic filtering when using in_mouse 1, is this true? The aiming feels slower when using it, but that may be in_mouse -1 being kinda twitchy.

By  arQon ++++ - Reply to #12
Of course not. It's just one of those absurd stories people like kdawg and Gaz make up to try and convince everyone how clever they are, then other retards repeat it forever as if it was true.

add> and indeed, here's the same lie stated as fact 18 months ago http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1116194 and doubtless every year before that too. sigh.

edit: fyi arQon is the creator cpma and probably the most knowledgable person on this subject.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 09:28:55 AM by RAZ3R » Logged

fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2008, 11:27:32 AM »

Fitacus explains pretty much what the differences are accurately, but I have not tried the -1 setting. I dont know who Arcon is but if something is crap then that is NOT a person with knowledge. Cheesy When I can prove it's better for me using defrag maps then if someone tells me it's crap then It does teach me one thing.

Actually the difference is very minimal. I would guess that it might affect users who move the mouse all over the place and have to do it very quickly.

When I played on 1.32 I noticed it really was uncomfortable, or more difficult to slow the mouse at a set point. So I use paper as a mouse pad which was definately far superior than a fabric mouse pad. I compared it doing strafe jumps and with the fabric mouse pad my angle was all over the place. That was because using paper I was able to gently keep the mouse moving for a very slow turn in the air moving at 1 degrees probably about every 0.5 seconds.

With the older mouse input you are better with a normal/default sensitivity and it might take a little more effort to turn at 180 degrees. But with a fast and slow mouse movement you are able to almost stop the mouse but still keep the mouse moving squeezing out more speed - it might only be really noticable for defrag players. On the later versions it is very difficult to do this because it's very easy for the mouse to stop suddenly then you will not be able to move it at such a slower movement.

It might be that some people have had to adjust stuff to what suits them, they might notice it more. But I did not know about that setting and I do reguarly play 1.16 and 1.32. And there are have been at least a dozen people who all mention the mouse issue, the better players notice it right away. Everyone has said the same as me. Maybe if people are so good that they can kill most people with flick shots you might not like people using the older input as they feel that it gives people more control and thats crap when you get killed and your flick shot skills are less effective Cheesy Maybe thats why he thinks its crap

Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2008, 06:21:40 PM »

Do you like Defrag's promode physics? It comes from Arqon's CPMA mod. If you're into fancy movement it's pretty cool.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 06:30:13 PM by Snickersnack » Logged
Fitacus
Lesser Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2008, 02:55:32 AM »

ArQon hates everyone who sticks to conservative things like OSP and eveything which is not that advanced like CPMA. No other things boys and girls Wink
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 02:57:07 AM by Fitacus » Logged

"The things you own, they end up owning you."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: