Poll
Question: Do you like the new control and feel?
No - 24 (57.1%)
Yes - 18 (42.9%)
Total Voters: 40

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you like the new SDL input?  (Read 93850 times)
RAZ3R
Bigger member

Cakes 0

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2008, 11:04:09 AM »

* RAZ3R ignores missbehaving

You forget arqon helped develop osp fitacus.

fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2008, 12:10:23 PM »

ArQon hates everyone who sticks to conservative things like OSP and eveything which is not that advanced like CPMA. No other things boys and girls Wink

Aaah. I get it now.

I like CPM movement. Don't spend alot of time in defrag. That doesn't mean that cpm or vq3 has to be crap. It's not related to this discussion at all. When I first started reading the opinions I trusted they where peoples own opinion and believed the input had got messed up or some bug. It would be good to know if things are peoples genuine opinion or someone elses spam and spread it around like it's gospel.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2008, 11:16:27 AM »

The mouse input code has been changed in rev1341 of ioQuake3 (yesterday).

It's supposed to behave exactly like the old windows code now on all platforms.

If you play Q3A take these binaries and test it...

Windows: http://ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/lnussel/ioquake3/ioquake3-1.35_SVN1341-3.1.x86.exe
Linux: http://ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/lnussel/ioquake3/ioquake3-1.35_SVN1341-6.1.i386.run

So.... have anyone tested them? I can't feel a difference but I never had a problem so it would be extremely weird if I did.

But it would sure help to get some feedback on this.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2008, 05:54:08 AM »

* RAZ3R ignores missbehaving

Respect ! Yes you are right. I still love ya tho Cheesy but he is absolutely correct. Cheesy
ctb
Nub

Cakes 0

atomicpumaman / lordnull / ctb

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2008, 02:23:37 PM »

Haven't seen any Mac OS X reports, but in the menu system the cursor is super slow, and in-game I have to crank the sensitivity up all the way and even that's not close to the feel of 0.7.0. I tried /set in_mouse -1 and there was no change (I tried values from -10 to 10 and there was no diff).
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »

Haven't seen any Mac OS X reports, but in the menu system the cursor is super slow, and in-game I have to crank the sensitivity up all the way and even that's not close to the feel of 0.7.0. I tried /set in_mouse -1 and there was no change (I tried values from -10 to 10 and there was no diff).
O_o
on os x oa always used sdl..

on my macs i noticed little differences in the upgrade and in the menus i have no problems at all...

i don't think that in_mouse -1 is applicable on os x.

maybe you should try to start with a clean installation. to do so, try to remove the "OpenArena" folder in your home>Library>Application Support.
ctb
Nub

Cakes 0

atomicpumaman / lordnull / ctb

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2008, 04:55:04 PM »

O_o
on os x oa always used sdl..

on my macs i noticed little differences in the upgrade and in the menus i have no problems at all...

i don't think that in_mouse -1 is applicable on os x.

maybe you should try to start with a clean installation. to do so, try to remove the "OpenArena" folder in your home>Library>Application Support.

Thanks for the suggestion, but still have mouse issues. To be fair, I use a Logitech TrackMan, which shouldn't really make any difference to OA. But in 0.7.0 it worked great, and now it's like someone turned the sensitivity all the way down. Even with my MS Laser Mouse the responsiveness is slow and laggy.

also, if I use 0.7.0 with the 0.7.6 pk3s it's fine, so it's definitely an engine change. if anyone has any other suggestions pls post em!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 05:06:14 PM by ctb » Logged
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2008, 10:09:16 PM »

i'm trying to compare 0.7.0's sensivity with 0.7.6 one...

it seems to be some difference, you're right...

the only thing that i can suggest is to setup oa differently.
maybe the devs will have some other ideas.
Fitacus
Lesser Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2008, 06:15:14 AM »

I tried /set in_mouse -1 and there was no change (I tried values from -10 to 10 and there was no diff).

*cough* Fyi you won't get back your desirable sense if you always played with in_mouse 1 (direct input). But I can tell u that -1 feels exactly the same on each OA versions bcuz it's depending on the OS input (afaik only Windows XP). So I'm sry it's not a proper solution!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 06:19:12 AM by Fitacus » Logged

"The things you own, they end up owning you."
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2008, 08:09:24 AM »

*cough* Fyi you won't get back your desirable sense if you always played with in_mouse 1 (direct input). But I can tell u that -1 feels exactly the same on each OA versions bcuz it's depending on the OS input (afaik only Windows XP). So I'm sry it's not a proper solution!

Actually there are no longer any difference at all between in_mouse 1 and in_mouse -1 as SDL has replaced them both.

Basically there are two known differences:
Mouse sensitivity is no longer boosted in the input-code (the default mouse speed is cut in half, can be changed ingame)
Mouse is no longer being made forcefully smoother.

What I wonder is why a lot of people being used to in_mouse = -1 is having a problem. There should be no change here except speed and that the mouse ignores all Operating system configurations, but most Quake 3 guides I have found requires those off anyway.

[TASF]Overkill
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2008, 10:26:27 PM »

For those of you who feel like the controls are "weird"... Does disabling mouse acceleration in your OS change anything?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:34:06 PM by [TASF]Overkill » Logged
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »

For those of you who feel like the controls are "weird"... Does disabling mouse acceleration in your OS change anything?

Yes I too noticed the difference, it seems it completely corrects the problem for me. If that's really the case, it would explain why some people don't see any difference between OA 0.7.1 and OA 0.7.6 (the ones who disabled mouse acceleration).

Here's a place where you can find patches for Windows XP mouse acceleration:

http://www.zonegamerz.com/content-17.html

It's in French, so here are direct link to the two patches you should use:

http://www.zonegamerz.com/download/mouseaccelXP.zip <- Merge with registry nomouseaccel1.reg
http://www.zonegamerz.com/download/accelfix.exe <- Complementary patch to remove acceleration in win32k.sys

You may have to reboot in Safe Mode before using these patch, but myself I didn't had to. Don't fear to test, you can revert back changes for these two patches.

Feedback people if you test.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 04:35:07 PM by GrosBedo » Logged
[TASF]Overkill
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2008, 07:39:48 PM »

This is certainly no "fix", because you have to alter your OS experience... But it's clear that OA's SDL is interacting with a different layer of OS input than it perhaps should.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2008, 10:51:45 AM »

This is certainly no "fix", because you have to alter your OS experience... But it's clear that OA's SDL is interacting with a different layer of OS input than it perhaps should.

The problem with Windows is that it has a weird way to manage sensitivity, for example you can't customize mouse acceleration except by tweaking registry, so it's really hard for a program to manage sensitivity between multiple platform with a centralized code, and it seems that's what they are trying to do with ioquake3.

I retested the fixes, and effectively it reduces the problem but there's still a difference between 0.7.1 and 0.7.6 (didn't tested 0.7.7 yet). What is weird is that before I reinstall my Windows XP (I reformat each 2 months :p) I hadn't that problem, my sensitivity didn't changed between these two versions. But now I reinstalled I have the same problem as everyone. So it seems there may be a way to correct this problem, but I don't know at all what I might have done for that (my OA config didn't changed)...
<< ME >>
i claim to be leilol and i think every forum is a public and free speech venue

Cakes -2

0Wn ME iF yOu Can!!!

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2008, 11:49:22 AM »

Can we get back to the normal mouse speed for the 0.8.0 release??

"uh.. FREE SPEECH?? does it make any sense to you??
Deleting posts and locking topics is just the same as banning"
hxa7241
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2008, 11:56:06 AM »

It is possible to measure the mouse's effective DPI in game (described here: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1863.0) and I found 0.7.7 to be 33% less than 0.6.0 -- that is more 'steppy'/'jaggy'.

On my Mac the effective DPI is about 100 -- really quite bad, and feels very jaggy.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2008, 02:36:57 AM »

the bad movement is extremely noticable in extreme low framerates, try 1-7fps for good measure

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2008, 05:32:59 AM »

when playing 0.7.7 mouse input has been extremely difficult to get used to, no where near how it felt in 0.7.1.

in 0.7.1 i had sensitivity 12.5 and mouse acceleration turned off. now i've tried to fiddle some more with the settings in 0.7.7 and made some progress.
using a sensitivity of 9 and a negative mouse acceleration (cl_mouseaccel -0.2) i get something that i can get used to.

so from now on i'll visit some 0.7.7 servers too Smiley
fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2008, 02:06:33 AM »

Thanks for that Smiley Didnt know there was - accell

I tried 0.7.7 and worked just fine, definately a step in the right direction. I preferred the in_mouse -1 setting. Can anyone remind me what that does?
Fitacus
Lesser Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2008, 10:54:50 AM »

in_mouse -1 disables direct input => mouse behaviour same to your OS (in WinXP).

"The things you own, they end up owning you."
Apprentice
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2008, 09:37:05 AM »

The new input TOTALLY SUX!

I just can get aprox 30% of my aiming skill while playing under 0.76 or 0.77.
Its no fun if u aim very good under 0.71 and now be forced to play like a noob only by mouseinput.
I try out many settings to compensate this but no chance. ( sensivity, smouthmouse, mouseaccel etc. )
I nearly hit nothing under 0.76 or 0.77 .... 

Really no fun at all

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2008, 10:03:14 AM »

again you can thank ioquake3.org for going sdl where it's not necessary instead of just fixing bugs

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »

I think that I was actually able to reproduce the acceleration problem people are talking about.

People who have the problem, you should disable mouse acceleration in Windows. It is done in the Control Panel under Mouse settings. Note that 'Enchance pointer precision' is the same as 'Accelerate the mouse'

If people say it solves the problem then a solution might be possible.

fufinha

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2008, 06:58:58 PM »

This change was put out at the same time as delag. They WILL notice  a difference.

It is impossible to get any decent feedback if you have no idea of someones skill, or what they have been used to using previously.  Servers are now recommended to run at sv_fps 20 or max at 30. Most admins probably realise this but whenever I see someone ask a question, noone seems to know if there is a mod running or not.

The cg_optimiz issue can be very noticable if the sv_fps is greater than snaps or some crap.

But I do think I know what this accell issue is Cheesy Actually, me and sns found we changed a  couple of things then suddenly our whole movement seemed accelerated.

I have a rough idea what it is, but will be reinstalling everything. If an admin log of what we changed in game would help then I will of course, help in any way I can and send it on.

It happened to both of us at the same time and it's a strange one.. you would probably need to read through a whole load of crap. But that would be one issue. Someone else might be playing on a server with 9 maxpackets, rate 25000 and snaps at 94, maybe delag wouldnt affect his mouse now, but it certainly will now

CFQ
---

Cakes 0

---

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2008, 07:16:28 PM »

----
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:50:48 PM by CFQ » Logged

I blanked my posts because I don't like this forum anymore! BAWWWWW
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: