Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: music  (Read 21925 times)
spycho
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: May 23, 2008, 12:34:03 PM »

Hello,

I make some music during my freetime and i want to give you some of them.

Here is a new one i working on : http://www.deliriumtremens.ch/~thx/Everything%20must%20die.mp3 (not finished yet)
I usualy not make industrial music, but i think it's the music for this kind of game. I made this one specialy for you.
Are you interested ?

But I'm not sure I can change it to Tracker easely, because I use many effects, reverbs ans filters.
I never used a tracker software.
Does someone know a good software to create trackers that run on Mac OS X ?
i will try and see if it works.

here is my artist page : http://www.mx3.ch/artist/drspychopath
you can ear some of my finished musics. (less noizy that this one :-)
please tell me what do you think.

One more thing :
I use many samples from the software i use (Apple Logic Pro), i have to read the licence to know if i can redistribute them inside a Tracker file. maybe i can use them with effect but not unchanged.

I will give you some news soon.

i hope my english is right.

thx.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 04:07:28 PM »

I use many samples from the software i use (Apple Logic Pro), i have to read the licence to know if i can redistribute them inside a Tracker file. maybe i can use them with effect but not unchanged.
Probably would be prohibited to us export laws. We used to have music with samples under such license and it was all ejected.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 05:49:13 PM »

The first 45 seconds or so is pretty good. It reminds me q3a.

Hmmm ... Industrial, I've heard Quake 3's decor described as alien space cathedral so I guess that fits.  OA however is = anime so maybe you should try something more J-pop instead. Wink

# runs for cover
spycho
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 03:23:51 AM »

i read the licence,and this section is about samples :
B. Except as otherwise indicated, you may use the Apple and third party audio file content (including, but not limited to, the Apple
Loops, built-in sound files, samples and impulse responses) (collectively the “Audio Content”), contained in or otherwise included
with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original soundtracks for your film, video and audio projects. You
may broadcast and/or distribute your own soundtracks that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual Apple loops,
audio files, sound settings, samples and impulse responses may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on anor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound files, sound effects or music beds.
It looks like i can't use them in trackers. grr mad

I have to look for free samples, do you know website where i can download some ?
But I still can use the synthetisers from this software, there's a wide range of sounds i can create and then make sample with.

Are you serious about j-pop ? do you really want this kind of music with your game or it's a joke ?
i'm not sure i can make this kind of music, i don't really like.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 04:14:39 AM »

That was a joke. This project is NOT anime. Snickersnack is not a representative of the team

(that XDFort project you see down in the forums there however, is)

FreePats is some truly Free samples under an appropriate license. They sound raw as-is though so you'll have to process them
http://freepats.opensrc.org/

You could also sample from Free software synthesizers, like zynaddsubfx

fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 05:30:26 AM »

Probably would be prohibited to us export laws. We used to have music with samples under such license and it was all ejected.

So chop the track up so  it plays in the tracker with YOUR samples Cheesy

FreePats is some truly Free samples under an appropriate license

^^ the word sample just blows away any issue of license IF your not using any loops. Sound fonts will be the best source of samples I think, if you can support these files on your system

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 11:09:15 AM »

Sound fonts will be the best source of samples

but the majority of them (like 99.9% of them) are non-Free.

fufinha
stop making alt accounts and self-termination

Cakes 7

retired

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 02:04:56 PM »

Sound fonts will be the best source of samples

but the majority of them (like 99.9% of them) are non-Free.

They didnt used to be. Maybe these have been brushed under the carpet of the www.

My brother has lots of these I think, he made me my sounds and made collections using various software and his own hardware. I can get him to upload them as i think he crammed in so many original samples into one soundfont file with no loops or anything dodgy
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 07:10:17 PM »

Are you serious about j-pop ? do you really want this kind of music with your game or it's a joke ?
i'm not sure i can make this kind of music, i don't really like.

Sorry, that was a joke. I think your everything_must_die.mp3 sounds great. Smiley

I think it would go well with the new WrackDM17 map but that's not my call. I'm not part of the dev team, just a fan.
spycho
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 04:39:35 AM »

Do you think i can make one big sample for a drumloop and use it in a tracker ?
like this http://www.deliriumtremens.ch/~thx/dnb_loop1.mp3 or http://www.deliriumtremens.ch/~thx/dnb_loop2.mp3
do you think that it's ok with the licence and ok for you ?
if not, i'm afraid it will be hard to make the same sound from other free samples.

about the funny guitare screaming during almost all the song, i'm afraid it's a sample too :-(
i don't play guitare, and use these sample with many effects, time shifting, pitch, distortion and eq.
So they sounds very different from the original, do you think i can use them with effect in a tracker ?
i try to replace them with synthetiser sounds, but it sounds very different and not as good.
i'll still trying to tweak the synthetiser to find the right sound. but i'm not sure it will sound good enough.
spycho
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 11:16:09 AM »

i started to work on a only free-samples version.

here is the curent non-free version : http://www.deliriumtremens.ch/~thx/everything%20must%20die_4.mp3
and here, exactly the same but with free samples only... quite empty no ? : http://www.deliriumtremens.ch/~thx/everything%20must%20die_4_free.mp3
i replaced some samples by synthetic sounds (white noize, with filter, eq etc), some other with freepats samples.

the begining is almost empty, no sound, and after only rythmes.
In the middle the song becomes more interesting.

i still looking for some good quality guitare sample, all i found sound very creepy :-(

there'is still work to do.

i'll give you news.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 10:02:28 PM »

For Free music you should use a patents free format like ogg vorbis

qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 11:38:38 AM »

FreePats is some truly Free samples under an appropriate license.

Hm. Last time I was on FreePats, some samples were under akward licenses (I think for example cc-by-nc) Can't find anything non-GPL/GFDL/LGPL right now though. I guess I'll add them to my precious list.

PS: YAY! PPL USE THE WTFPL!!!

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 11:59:33 AM »

Hm. Last time I was on FreePats, some samples were under akward licenses (I think for example cc-by-nc)
They wouldn't allow that. Maybe you're mistaking another place or sample set (like eawpats)

spycho
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 04:51:45 AM »

Hello,

I tryed to work on the free version in xm format, with MilkyTracker, here is : http://www.deliriumtremens.ch/~thx/Everything%20must%20die.xm
but there are bugs, sometimes the sound is slow and the pitch is not right (looks like samplerate bug)
Milkytracker is not very smart, i don't know what samplerate he supports or not. and sometimes he stop making sounds.
Now in xm the sound is pretty ugly, looks like low bitrate, 8bits. and mono only. (sounds like gameboy video game music)
it is possible to make stereo 44kHz tracker ? with witch software ? available on Mac Os X too ?

tel me if it sounds right or not on your software.

i'm a bit desperate, the song is becoming so creepy in tracker format.

Sorry about the file format, i usualy send my files to friends who only have a stupid ipod that only understand mp3.
here is the non-free sample version, but free song : http://www.deliriumtremens.ch/~thx/everything%20must%20die_4.ogg
and here is exactly the same with only free sample : www.deliriumtremens.ch/~thx/everything%20must%20die_4_free.ogg

i also have high quality 96kHz flac, but it's very heavy so i don't put it for download at this time.

bye
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 06:36:06 AM »

But I'm not sure I can change it to Tracker easely, because I use many effects, reverbs ans filters.
I guess it would make more sense to use an open source equivalent of logic pro, if there is one.It seems there is no way (yet) to import logic projects into Ardour.

I tryed to work on the free version in xm format, with MilkyTracker, here is : http://www.deliriumtremens.ch/~thx/Everything%20must%20die.xm
but there are bugs, sometimes the sound is slow and the pitch is not right (looks like samplerate bug)
Milkytracker is not very smart, i don't know what samplerate he supports or not. and sometimes he stop making sounds.
Now in xm the sound is pretty ugly, looks like low bitrate, 8bits. and mono only. (sounds like gameboy video game music)
it is possible to make stereo 44kHz tracker ? with witch software ? available on Mac Os X too ?

tel me if it sounds right or not on your software.
It doesn't sound right. It's very slow. On Aqualung and Totem.

The oggs sound very good. especially the unfree one Wink

It's probably too much to ask for, but perhaps you would prefer to use Ardour instead of learning tracker software. Here's a list of free/open source audio editing/tracking software.

And these loops are in the public domain, as the administrator told me. I asked him to make it public to which he hasn't replied yet though.

spycho
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 11:29:27 AM »

yes, i know i should use free software.
i do when i can, i use openoffice, vlc and all that.
But for music it's different, i use software synthesizers and samplers from logic pro, i don't have real instruments or synthesizers. you know, i'm not a real musician :-)
i doesn't exist free softwares with synthesizers of that quality. if yes, i was not aware of.

i already tried ardour to make music, but it's for recording sounds only and then add effects.
no beatbox, no synth and no samplers.
it's a good software to record and mix bands music and so one.
but for electronique music, if you don't have real samplers and synthesizers hardware, it's useless.
and another point is important to make electronique music, like drum and bass or other, for drums you cannot use creepy samples. it's very important the quality from the samples.
of cours if you have a real beatbox, you can record the samples and play with this in a freesoftware. but you cannot find all you want in free licence on internet.

that are all the reasons why i use non free software :-)

but, maybe it is possible in another way. i make loops with the synthesizers or drums and arrange them in a ardour file.
is it ok for you ?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 11:09:33 AM »

No
qubodup doesn't run the OA project, he is probably not aware of the strict guidelines set in it

Mr. Oho
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

I will press the button!

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 01:28:20 PM »

I feel like a smartass for posting this but i have now seen public domain mentioned serveral times so i might as well add it: Unless the Author of the work is at least 70 years dead public domain is kinda questionable as alot of countries have laws that simply have no option of disclaiming copyright and even then its risky as some countries have even longer copyright protection.
qubodup
Lesser Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 05:32:49 PM »

qubodup doesn't run the OA project, he is probably not aware of the strict guidelines set in it.
The guidelines regarding the copyright status are as I understand: it has to be gpl-compliant and you have to provide the sources and you may not cheat and say that the end form is the source form.

Are you trying to say that even if the loopproject loops were under the pd, you would not accept them under the gpl?

I feel like a smartass for posting this but i have now seen public domain mentioned serveral times so i might as well add it: Unless the Author of the work is at least 70 years dead public domain is kinda questionable as alot of countries have laws that simply have no option of disclaiming copyright and even then its risky as some countries have even longer copyright protection.
What do you think about the cc pd dedication? http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/ would you say it's safe when you use this one? or would you prefer people to use the wtfpl? http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/ other ideas?

Mr. Oho
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

I will press the button!

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 01:58:37 AM »

What do you think about the cc pd dedication? http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/ would you say it's safe when you use this one? or would you prefer people to use the wtfpl? http://sam.zoy.org/wtfpl/ other ideas?

Hmm im not a lawyer but the most interesting thing might be the part where author agrees to not enforce copyright how much water that would hold if hed try to enforce it in a country where he still has it i dont know :/ The WTFPL has a good spirit (giving unlimited rights to the reciever but in a less legaly confusing manner than plain pd) - i just wouldnt mind a little more serious wording Wink Other ideas might be Zlib license or 2/3 clause BSD (NOT the original BSD license which is incompatible with the GPL) - not totaly as permissive as the WTFPL but all recognized by the FSF.

Edit:
Sorry overread it this morning :/

Are you trying to say that even if the loopproject loops were under the pd, you would not accept them under the gpl?

Well im pretty happy im not in a position to have to decide that :S What im trying to say is PD is legaly complicated. Theres for example tons of stuff thats PD in the US but in germany (ok germany is a bad example - or maybe a pretty good Wink - as there are agreements with the US preceding Berne and WTO that are still in force and im not sure how much this affects the legal status of US PD around here)  its still under copyright. Ill admit most of this stuff wasnt put in the PD by the author but its pretty questionable he could do so under german law anyways. Under german law you get  copyright automaticaly (its like this in every member to the Berne convention and this is possibly reenforced by WTO rules) and theres no way to lose it unless your dead for 70 years (that might differ from country to country.. as might the years after death clause... Berne requires at least 50 - if i remember correctly - years but some countries have even 100 years). To make matters worse stuff that went PD before the US joined the Berne threaties might have gotten its copyright restored with hard to find records... Ok im moving offtopic... realy all i wanted to say is its complicated and i would avoid putting stuff into it for less headache Wink Anyways i think its pretty unlikley if some author puts something into the PD (given he can do so in his country) will try to sue for his copyrights in some other country...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 09:47:21 AM by Mr. Oho » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: