Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help I Need Somebody, Help!  (Read 6146 times)
Absinthe
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: June 16, 2008, 06:55:51 AM »

Hi Guys!

I have a problem with my connection and i need some...explanations..

So...yesterday or maybe 2 day before, a really kind guy helped me by reducing my ping....
My ping was reduced from 110 to 82 (sometimes i got 70)... I put some cmd in my console such as ( if i remember well) :

/snap 40 (?? something like this) and other command that i can't remember Sad
/rate

Now...my connection (a fast connection which is about 9mbit) reboot every tot time ( i dunno, maybe 20-25 minutes, sometimes 1 hour) and reconnect automatically..
I dunno if this depend on Open Arena but i noticed that the reboot happens while i'm playing and (on the other sister's pc) i'm downloading from Amule Adunanza..
If i'm not using any P2P soft the reboot doesn't happen!...

I think that OA steal all the Bandwidth ...but it's impossible coz i have 9 mbit :|

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot Cheesy
Mr. Oho
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

I will press the button!

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 07:11:17 AM »

Wild guess: Ive heard of routers choking on too much p2p traffic. Maybe try reducing the limit of (half-)open connections?
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 09:22:38 AM »

The user properly recommended changing:
snaps
rate
max_packets

Now my personal experience:
eMule/aMule can kill almost any PAT-router within hours. I have never found a home router that did not have that problem. Your connection does not matter.

Therefore I sat a real computer to share the Internet at my parents house... but then the ADSL-modem broke down (you properly would not have that problem).
The mule did also have a tendency to make the Internet for all others in the house very slow.
Now I run traffic shaping on the router. Yes it takes 2-5% of the top speed but increases average speed and reduces the responds time quite remarkable.

You can try limiting the mules brand with to half of the theoretical speed and hope the router can clear its queues fast enough.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: