Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Arena Expanded Beta 50  (Read 573421 times)
SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2009, 12:19:30 AM »

That midair suicide thing is a great idea...sews up an exploit from killbinding stat whores....

Too bad not too many people use g_awardpushing 1...

I think its the coolest feature...especially when g_friendlyfire is 1 and you're playing with your friends on your own team and got teamspeak going...OOOOOOOOPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSS.... lol
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2009, 09:07:53 AM »

Quote from: sago007
* Midair suicide while g_awardpushing is enabled will result in a point to the attacker.

Why that? Do you have applied the scoring system of Nexuiz, where you get a frag when your enemy falls into void because of you? If not, then why gets the attacker a point if he hits you midair, but after that you kill yourself? Like I make a mistake, jump into void, nobody is around, but someone hits me with machinegun while I fall, after that I kill myself and bam! He scores a point undeserved. I know some players can rail me while I'm falling, some pro players can even rocket me, and suicide takes away these frags. But I think there will be more frags given undeserved than taken away rightfully.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2009, 09:42:44 AM »

Making frags are like scoring goals on soccer or american football: you don't deserve them, you just make them. Cheesy

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2009, 10:38:56 AM »

Making frags are like scoring goals on soccer [...]: you don't deserve them, you just make them. Cheesy

I'm really sad to hear that from a guy living in Argentina Sad.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2009, 10:40:10 AM »

* Midair suicide while g_awardpushing is enabled will result in a point to the attacker.
Like I make a mistake, jump into void, nobody is around, but someone hits me with machinegun while I fall, after that I kill myself and bam! He scores a point undeserved.
It is a point but not the main reason g_awardpushing is disabled in OA by default. Sure the attacker was given a free point instead of you loosing one but that just means fewer negative points and that is a thing that you most likely wanted by turning g_awardpushing on in the first place.

The main reason for being disabled by default is that people can start trying to push rather than kill and that can be considered a gameplay change. 

There are nothing offending in my posts.
0kelvin
I LEFT THE FORUM BY EDITING ALL MY POSTS OUT!!! HAHAHA!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET!
Half-Nub

Cakes -54

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »

openarena
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:32:24 PM by 0kelvin » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2009, 11:02:07 AM »

Making frags are like scoring goals on soccer [...]: you don't deserve them, you just make them. Cheesy

I'm really sad to hear that from a guy living in Argentina Sad.
It was a sarcasm Roll Eyes
That "living in Argentina" part was unneccesary BTW...

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »

That "living in Argentina" part was unneccesary BTW...

I didn't mean it in an offending way, but I was pointing at the high place Argentina has in FIFA World Rankings.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2009, 12:18:24 PM »

Ahhhhhhh, sorry, I was thinking on another thing.
My mistake. ^_^ยบ

And yes, I like to watch soccer, but I'm very bad at playing it, lol.

BTW, OnTopic. Sago, I tried to test this with the new SP:

Code:
* Can now handle 20*1024 charecters in the *.arena file list. Significantly increases the number of maps supported.
And it didn't worked. So I had to keep the SP maps on arenas.txt and the other maps under morearenas.arena U_U

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »

And it didn't worked. So I had to keep the SP maps on arenas.txt and the other maps under morearenas.arena U_U
The total amount of charecters allowed are now 20*1024 but there is still a limit of 4096 bytes per file. If I allowed arenas.txt to be bigger it would be a problem for mods that has the limit but still needs to read the arena.txt file.

SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2009, 06:19:15 PM »

If not, then why gets the attacker a point if he hits you midair, but after that you kill yourself? Like I make a mistake, jump into void, nobody is around, but someone hits me with machinegun while I fall, after that I kill myself and bam! He scores a point undeserved.

With g_awardpushing 0
You fall into void, he shoots you
Him: 0
You: -1

With g_awardpushing 0
You fall into void, he shoots you, you /kill
Him: 0

With g_awardpushing 1
You fall into void, he shoots you
Him: +1
You: 0

With g_awardpushing 1

With g_awardpushing 1, the point is going to him regardless.....so dont cost yourself one.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »

With g_awardpushing 1
The way it is implemented in Beta 35 is like this:

With g_awardpushing 1

I consider using kill while falling to the void or burning in lava to be perfectly acceptable as death is unavoidable anyway. On a lot of OA maps you can fall for a long time before getting killed making a /kill very attractive or in team games even necessary.  If you /kill fast enough he cannot get a point unless it was him who sent you flying.

SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2009, 03:03:09 AM »

guess i misread it originally then lol

i knew i was missing something Sad

zed
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2009, 12:48:51 PM »

With g_awardpushing 1
He shoots you, you fall into void

Is there a timeout for pushing? What about he hits me and 1 minute later I fall into the void? Is it still his point or my suicide? Ideally, a shot should only count as a push if it is ultimatively responsible for a player falling into the void. This is probably difficult to calculate (although one could use bot code to check whether an ideal player could have reached another platform).

BTW: Is pushing an award (like gauntlet, impressive, ...) that needs an icon? hehe

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2009, 06:29:16 PM »

Is there a timeout for pushing?
In 0.8.1 there is a 3 (or 4, I don't remember) seconds timeout. In Beta 35 this has been reduced to 200 miliseconds but only time while safely on the ground is counted.

I considered (and still considering) only counting a push if a certain amount of force was inflicted but on some maps you can actually push a player rather far with rapid fire weapons. If you enable q_awardpushing (and it will be disabled by default) it is most likely to limit the amount of negative scores and in that case you would rather give two cheap kills than deny one actual kill.

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2009, 01:25:57 AM »

ctf4ish is one map that comes to mind when thinking about it. using the machinegun to push players jumping on the pads are very effective Smiley
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2009, 01:45:02 PM »

Beta 36 is up.

Changelog:
New in Beta 36:
* Callvote map menu now responds the first time it is activated
* pmove_float added. Makes the physics framerate independent but cost up to 8 times as much network traffic (worst case, normally only a few percent). Mostly for LAN gaming. Note that you must reduce g_gravity to ~756 to get 125 fps gravity.
* Fixed vote exploit (some bugs still remain, needs rewrite)
* Fixed a bug that allowed a client to call more than 3 votes in a single game.
* cg_oldRail now defaults to 0
* Added restore system based on guid. You no longer loose scores when changing team, spectating or leave+rejoin
* Chainging team or leaving the game now counts as a suicide to prevent misuse of the restore system. In Team Deathmatch the team will be compensated so they don't loose points by loosing a player to the other team.
* You cannot ban localhost anymore (the system needs rewrite)
* g_elimination cvar added (like g_instantgib and g_rockets, but full elimination arsenal, health and damage rules)
My main reason to start again was that I figured out the problem with the callvote map menu.

The biggest news is the restore system, that allows you to change team or go spectating or even leave the game and only loose 1 point (0 if you are already dead). The game only remembers the last 32 players so you can be unlucky that it forgets you but it is still better than nothing.

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2009, 03:52:10 PM »

great work as always sago!

i don't know if this has been fixed in the these betas but in the server browser the different game modes doesn't filter servers correctly. or i've seriously misunderstood Tongue

well, if i pick harvester for example i get lots of servers that doesn't play harvest, same for overload, one flag capture and elimination. huh? Smiley
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2009, 01:19:44 PM »

well, if i pick harvester for example i get lots of servers that doesn't play harvest, same for overload, one flag capture and elimination. huh? Smiley
I have noticed it but have forgotten it every time I sat with the code. Will fix it soon. Gametypes affected: One Flag, Obelisk, Harvester and Domination.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2009, 06:57:54 PM »

Beta 37 is up with the promised change. Some other UI improvements made it as well.

Changelog:
New in Beta 37:
* g_humanplayers might make fewer mistakes now
* Gametype filter now also works for One Flag, Obelisk, Harvester and Domination
* First Connect screen reminds new players of some important settings
* bot_nochat >= 2 will now stop all bot chat
* Added "Optimize for LAN" to "start server"
* Added "Physics" to "start server"
* Added "Oneway capture" to "start server" for the CTF Elimination gametype
* Added comments to pure and All Rockets in "start server"
* Fixed LMS mode bug in "start server"

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2009, 09:01:52 AM »

The first connect screen is very convenient. I'm wondering if it's cfg dependant, for example, if you delete your q3config.cfg it appears again or if you keep your old config makes it to not appear after all.

Great work as always, sago. ^^

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2009, 09:14:08 AM »

The first connect screen is very convenient. I'm wondering if it's cfg dependant
It uses the CVAR ui_setupchecked (inspired by ui_cdkeychecked). If you delete/loose the q3config.cfg it will reappear but you are likely to set the variables again anyway.

These first time screens are very common today and I think there is a good reason for that. However too many options can be annoying therefore I allow the player to simply click "Accept" without entering anything.

dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2009, 04:55:12 AM »

good work! just a question or two - is it possible to show regular votes to give more info.

like if i do a "/callvote map thisisthenewmap" the game will show something like: "pulchr called a vote to change map to thisisthenewmap, press F1 for yes, F2 for no".
Correct me if I'm wrong, I understand you want more info displayed in the console, when a vote is called.

would also be nice for the kick vote "/callvote kick annoyingplayer teamkiller" to be shown like "pulchr called a vote to kick annoyingplayer, reason: teamkiller".

Having a kick reason displayed seems useful.
It would also be useful if there would be more info displayed (on the playing screen, and ofcourse in the console also) when somebody calls a clientkick vote, because it shows only a number, and you have to manually check who is that client.. that is if you know how to do it.. and if you remember Cheesy  .. and it's no fun.

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2009, 05:47:18 AM »

well, actually i would like different kind of output shown in different containers. for example i don't want the chat mixed with the text about what player killed another player...
the log about all those things fill up to quickly and the chat disappears - causing you to either miss what was said or forcing you to pull down the console to see.

i would like a chat-container with team chat, ordinary chat and votes. one container for all the other stuff like kills and such.

the different chat and combat logs in world of warcraft is an example of how i would like it. that random dude's screenshot shows the chat to the left and combat information to the right.
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2009, 08:02:22 AM »

one container for all the other stuff like kills and such.
and stats Cheesy
Yes, sounds great!

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: