Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Arena Expanded Beta 50  (Read 573407 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #250 on: May 30, 2011, 04:28:10 PM »

I've done few tests with g_gravitymodifer. I feel it should really have limits for allowed values, since it is easy to mess up (or maybe even "crash") the game using even not-so-high values. Try setting it to 0, to -1, to 10... and then try to jump on a jump-pad.
The game should accept only a specific range of values for this variable.
Bye!

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #251 on: May 31, 2011, 11:35:50 AM »

I've done few tests with g_gravitymodifer. I feel it should really have limits for allowed values, since it is easy to mess up (or maybe even "crash") the game using even not-so-high values. Try setting it to 0, to -1, to 10... and then try to jump on a jump-pad.
The game should accept only a specific range of values for this variable.
Bye!

I got a question for you, are you for flexibility (to allow guys to have use of your software in ways you didn't think of) or user-friendliness (restraining the user choice to a few predefined values, while bothering those who eventually wanted other values) ?

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #252 on: May 31, 2011, 03:27:40 PM »

I'm for avoiding programs from crashing. Anyway, IMHO the answer to your question is to find the right mix of flexibility and user-friendliness case by case...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #253 on: June 01, 2011, 04:55:46 AM »

Crash in a figurative way from what I've guessed in this case.
Saying "case by case" is not really an answer, you have to give some hints in order to allow people to select either this or that option, imagine you're away while you have to help them, on what does it depend you will chose one or the other ?
Moreover it's likely you won't achieve consistency if you really choose case by case.
Do you know what flexibility means ? Is -100 to +100 a flexible value for g_gravitymodifier ?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #254 on: June 01, 2011, 07:52:02 AM »

Try setting it to 0, to -1, to 10... and then try to jump on a jump-pad.

Have you tried?
Also try to bring down the console when you are stuck on the jump-pad, in one on my tests it appered like how you see the world when you "noclip" out of the borders of the map (I don't remeber in which case now, I only did a quick test!). In such quick tests (with values much smaller than 100, I have to try that yet!), the program did not literally "crash", but strange things ("glitches") were shown on the screen and it was almost impossible to control the character.

Anyway, I simply pointed out that, using that variable, problems can happen. They will be Sago or Fromhell to decide if that behavior needs a fix or not.... as an (unofficial) tester, I point out possible trobles.

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #255 on: June 29, 2011, 06:48:25 AM »

Reminder:
- the !mute admin command doesn't seem to work.
I'd suggest a less authoritarian feature so that players are able to mute locally, like in IRC or most chats.

(already briefly mentionned this issue here)

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #256 on: August 23, 2011, 10:45:18 AM »

Beta 49 is up.

Changes:
New in Beta 49:
Challenges are now logged
Last man stading event are now logged
Fixed ammobar for 3 different weaponbar styles (grapple)
Fromhell's changes ( http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1933.msg39483#msg39483 )
You can now see how much health the obelisk have left in Overload
Fixed a crash when the obelisk was damaged while using native cgame. (Thanks to jackmcbarn for the patch)
Autoswitch weapon can now be set toonly change to better or new weapons. (The default is set in the binaries)
Votekick is now cancelled if the player in question leaves.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #257 on: August 25, 2011, 08:40:14 AM »

I have no idea where the HUGE shotgun impact sparks come from, though they're out of place obviously

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #258 on: August 25, 2011, 09:19:36 AM »

Hmmm....

It looks like something went wrong in the release script. The end result does not look like the development version.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #259 on: August 25, 2011, 10:44:52 AM »

I have just attempted a second compile and it appears that the release script has done its part correctly. However I do not use cg_leiEnchancments in my development build, so I did not discover it.

I don't know where they come from.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2011, 11:29:09 AM »

diff speaks of major differences in function CG_ShotgunFire (in cg_weapons.c) between B48 and B49

Edit:
Also there is a 'oax'  subdirectory in the tree now, with a complete version of the tree copied into it. The only difference between the build-tree and the tree in the oax directory is the change in CG_ShotgunFire mentioned above.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:11:22 AM by 7 » Logged

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2011, 12:03:27 PM »

Beta 50 is out. Mainly with a fast hotfix.

New in Beta 50:
Removed some problematic code that caused some problems in B49
Added new dmflags:
* 64 = instant weapon change (weapon change is instant, weapons still need to reload)
* 128 = no bunny (disables Q2-style jumping and uses realism jumping instead, breaks most maps)
* 256 = no invisible skin (invisible players are completly invisible)
* 512 = allows non majority vote, was default in 0.8.5

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2011, 02:41:12 PM »

Dmflags sound interesting. Where can I find a comprehensive list of them all? And maybe some info about how to use them...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #263 on: September 15, 2011, 02:54:37 PM »

8 - No Falling (disables falling damage?)
16 - Fixed FOV (disables FOV change during the match, a la Q2?)
32 - No Footsteps (disables footstep sounds?)

Obtained those looking at the code. Don't know what the values for 1, 2 and 4 do.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #264 on: September 16, 2011, 04:04:54 AM »

Code:
// g_dmflags->integer flags
#define DF_NO_FALLING                   8
#define DF_FIXED_FOV                    16
#define DF_NO_FOOTSTEPS                 32
#define DF_INSTANT_WEAPON_CHANGE        64
#define DF_NO_BUNNY                     128
#define DF_INVIS                        256
#define DF_LIGHT_VOTING                 512

If it isn't defined, it probably won't do anything. (Probably because you can't give numerical flags another meaning without confusing the hell out of everyone so you can't reuse old bits for new functionality.)

The no-bunny flag works great by the way, the game is utterly horrible with it activated, the movement feels like being tied down by a 100 pound ball and chain Wink (An even more severe feeling of having your wings clipped than the change from QW/CPMA physics to vanilla Q3 physics.)

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #265 on: September 16, 2011, 04:37:09 AM »

Well, at least it's optional, (and I want to believe it isn't or will be a default physic) and I don't think anyone would play with it.

BTW, are there values for 1, 2 and 4?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #266 on: September 16, 2011, 05:05:20 AM »

BTW, are there values for 1, 2 and 4?

I assume they're not used because they aren't defined. dmflags is basically a leftover from the Q2 engine so I suppose flags 1, 2 and 4 had some function in the Q2 engine that has been removed in the Q3 engine. (I never played Q2.)

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #267 on: September 16, 2011, 05:10:56 AM »

I can confirm all the dmflags mentioned do work

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #268 on: September 16, 2011, 10:32:02 AM »

Great, instant switch was one of the thing I asked for Wink
I don't get the logic of why it's put in dmflags but main point is it's available.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #269 on: September 16, 2011, 10:48:18 AM »

I tested dmflags alien 16, 32, and they do work with Q3A, too.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #270 on: September 16, 2011, 11:22:21 AM »

I normally prefer a real cvar over dmflags. But dmflags has the advantage that it is easy to add new, the client automatically known about it and that it does not take extra space in the infostring.

While adding the weapon switch flag it was easy to add the no-bunny flag too. The code was right there. I know it is there so that mod makers that wants to make realism mods or mods with focus on other things than movement can enable it.

Placing DF_LIGHT_VOTING in the dmflags might be wrong because the client does not need to know about it. But I also consider it a good place for experimental features.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #271 on: September 16, 2011, 11:47:56 AM »

Okay. I added dmflags to the wiki, DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Special_game_options&action=historysubmit&diff=9027&oldid=8988]here. Please check if I did correctly.

I'm not sure about how the "Allows non majority vote" thing works (How does it work in oa 0.8.5? How does voting work in recent oax releses?)

PS: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Techniques page should be expanded, at least listing the techniques! E.g. I'm usure about how to describe the difference between "bunny hopping" and "strafe jumping".
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 11:58:54 AM by Gig » Logged

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #272 on: September 16, 2011, 11:58:43 AM »

I'm not sure about how the "Allows non majority vote" thing works (How does it work in oa 0.8.5? How does voting work in recent oax releses?)
Normally more than half the players that are allowed to vote needs to vote yes. If there are 12 player on a server and 6 votes yes and 1 no the vote fails. If lightvoting is enabled the vote would succeed because there are more yes-votes than no-votes and more than 30% of all voters voted yes and at least 2 players votes yes. The last system apparently has some bugs according to rumors but I have not been able to confirm it.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #273 on: September 16, 2011, 12:02:12 PM »

Normally more than half the players that are allowed to vote needs to vote yes. If there are 12 player on a server and 6 votes yes and 1 no the vote fails. If lightvoting is enabled the vote would succeed because there are more yes-votes than no-votes and more than 30% of all voters voted yes and at least 2 players votes yes. The last system apparently has some bugs according to rumors but I have not been able to confirm it.
Which method do Quake 3, OA 0.8.5, and OAX B50 (this one with or without the dmflag) use, respectively?

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #274 on: September 16, 2011, 12:49:28 PM »

E.g. I'm usure about how to describe the difference between "bunny hopping" and "strafe jumping".

Bunnyhopping is a technique for gaining speed while doing corners or zig-zagging, strafejumping is a technique for gaining speed while going -more or less- forwards (or backwards).

Bunnyhopping doesn't work in vanilla Q3 physics (you need a mod like CPMA), strafejumping does work in VQ3.

While bunnyhopping you only press a strafe key while moving the mouse, while strafejumping you press both the forward key (or the back key) and a strafe key while moving the mouse.

Demos with keypresses: bunnyhopping in Q1 and strafejumping in QL (notice the forward key).

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: