Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Binaries for 0.8.x test thread  (Read 420840 times)
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #325 on: December 25, 2011, 09:30:14 AM »

Writing from the phone as well...

Left a mac building, if all it's fine i'll upload the bin in a few hours.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #326 on: December 25, 2011, 11:05:58 AM »

Everything all right. Smiley

http://www.jackoverfull.com/tmp/OAMac088r28.zip
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #327 on: December 25, 2011, 06:13:09 PM »

Good. I hope to do a rapid test with windows binaries next morning... Now going to sleep... Zzzz...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #328 on: December 26, 2011, 04:33:53 AM »

Smiley Smiley Smiley Okay, given a quick try on windows. R_postprocess "color1" does not crash the game anymore, it gives a warning in console (even if it seems it needs a carriage return at the end of that line).

glsl programs: enabled
Initializing Programs
Error:
Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 0:16: 'char' : undeclared identifier
ERROR: 0:16: 'r' : syntax error parse error
ERROR:  compilation errors.  No code generated.

Couldn't compile fragment shader for program postprocessInitializing Shaders
----- finished R_Init -----
Loading vm file vm/ui.qvm...
it needs a new line before "Initializing Shaders"... But this is not urgent, it can be done also after the 088 release (fixing it before would be "nice", anyway).

UPDATE: I noticed another thing: considering that in future glsl will be included directly in shaders used in maps (instead of r_postprocess)... now the error message does not mention the name of the glsl program in error (you have to set developer 1 and read the line before the error to know the name of the glsl program it was loading -e.g. consider also the case of reading someone else logs, without knowing his r_postprocess value-)... maybe the error may mention the glsl program? Of course, now there are no maps with glsl-integrating shaders, so I don't know at all how the engine would do and what the console would write in case of errors in such shaders.

The only question I still have is that I don't understand the reason for not adding a specific message to tell users to set 32 bit textures before enabling bloom.

UPDATE: Question for Hitchhiker: are those glsl programs in z_glsl.pk3 released under GPLv2 or not?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 05:23:11 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #329 on: December 26, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »

The only question I still have is that I don't understand the reason for not adding a specific message to tell users to set 32 bit textures before enabling bloom.
Code freeze. Only major problems will be fixed. I might add a message in the gamecode soon. I might even do it before 0.8.8 is released but I won't backport it into 0.8.8.

Fixing small problems are very problematic because:
1) It results in badly designed solutions
2) It often introduces bigger problems

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #330 on: December 26, 2011, 01:36:25 PM »

Are you thinking about a status line message when "mouseovering" on the bloom option in menu? I thought to it, too, but feared it may not get in 088, and thought that, being the bloom behavior more related to engine than gamecode, it best fitted in the engine. Anyway, it's okay also there. The problem is that not having it in 088 neither in engine or gamecode would be not good. Sad
Another similar message that would be useful is that the "crosshair shows health" option causes the custom crosshair colors to be ignored.

And probably we may add descriptions to other menu options, to make them clearer to the user... but this is not the right thread for them. If you want to look deeper into this thing, I'm available. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 05:40:59 AM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #331 on: December 27, 2011, 05:12:31 AM »

Everything all right. Smiley

404!

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #332 on: December 27, 2011, 05:25:54 AM »

Sorry about that, misnamed file. Now's working, same link: http://www.jackoverfull.com/tmp/OAMac088r28.zip
Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #333 on: December 27, 2011, 08:29:28 AM »

Smiley Smiley Smiley Okay, given a quick try on windows. R_postprocess "color1" does not crash the game anymore, it gives a warning in console (even if it seems it needs a carriage return at the end of that line).

glsl programs: enabled
Initializing Programs
Error:
Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 0:16: 'char' : undeclared identifier
ERROR: 0:16: 'r' : syntax error parse error
ERROR:  compilation errors.  No code generated.

Couldn't compile fragment shader for program postprocessInitializing Shaders
----- finished R_Init -----
Loading vm file vm/ui.qvm...
it needs a new line before "Initializing Shaders"... But this is not urgent, it can be done also after the 088 release (fixing it before would be "nice", anyway).

UPDATE: I noticed another thing: considering that in future glsl will be included directly in shaders used in maps (instead of r_postprocess)... now the error message does not mention the name of the glsl program in error (you have to set developer 1 and read the line before the error to know the name of the glsl program it was loading -e.g. consider also the case of reading someone else logs, without knowing his r_postprocess value-)... maybe the error may mention the glsl program? Of course, now there are no maps with glsl-integrating shaders, so I don't know at all how the engine would do and what the console would write in case of errors in such shaders.

UPDATE: Question for Hitchhiker: are those glsl programs in z_glsl.pk3 released under GPLv2 or not?

hi, the color1 program that works on ATI cards is here attached.

for error messages, will add it in near future.

for license for glsl programs, I've often started from a existing snippet of code found on the net and worked with that - dont know if that is no-no is GPL world? None of the programs is a copy-paste solution (except the glsl programs that are no longer used by OA and that come from ZEQ2 lite, that might still be part of the glsl folder). Anything that might be done by me for OA is under GPL license.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #334 on: December 27, 2011, 04:56:01 PM »

Attached, your file, re-packaged as a working pk3.

I've finally seen what that "color1" does: it's a sort of almost-greyscale, but with some details that are still colored (pink mostly). A nice effect, even if probably not extremely useful...

PS: tested some other effects from the previous file: "color2" does not compile. "Bump" makes the screen black, and "banner" makes the screen like a plaid... Undecided
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 05:34:12 PM by Gig » Logged

Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #335 on: December 28, 2011, 08:23:47 AM »

Smiley
bump and banner can be used on objects in the game (again, the shader that defines the textures used to texture an object would need to be modified to use these programs - at the moment no shaders use these) - they are not postprocessing effects.
color2 will not compile as it needs updating - if color1 works on nVidia (I think it should)..
these are just example postprocessing programs.. I dont know how many tests they had so far - to have more input on how usefull they are and if they should be included (I think fromhell said they would not make it to the release version anyways).
The glsl support has just been implemented so, in 0.8.alien it can have only a limited number of useful things it can do. I saw a part of the engine source that defines the in-game menus where gfx options are choosen - eventually, if possible to modify that part, for the next release I could try adding an option there to choose the postprocessing programs by simply clicking.
Thanks for testing!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #336 on: January 08, 2012, 05:03:35 PM »

HI, Hitch! I was curious to know if you had the time to fix that error messages (using line feed when needed, specifying the name of the glsl program that caused the error)...

For Fromhell and Sago (I hope to do not trigger an angry answer!)... are you still sure you do not want 0.8.8 to inform users about the relationship between bloom and 32bit textures?

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #337 on: January 08, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »

I'm curious too: any news about a possible release date?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #338 on: January 08, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »

I wish I could set a concrete date. I think "ASAP" is my only date right now, as i'm waiting for NeonKnight's fixpacks. Then i'd make an RC3 for any last minute reports

The mapper perfectionism is delaying 088 too much!

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #339 on: January 08, 2012, 06:15:03 PM »

I don't have much to do, anyway.
Just place music and map intro, but 0.8.8 can be released without them, anyway.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #340 on: January 09, 2012, 06:05:15 AM »

I see, thanks. Smiley
Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #341 on: January 09, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »

HI, Hitch! I was curious to know if you had the time to fix that error messages (using line feed when needed, specifying the name of the glsl program that caused the error)...

this one has a line break at error line mentioning program that failed compilation.. (modifications: file taken from v28 and added line breaks)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:34:54 PM by Hitchhiker » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #342 on: January 10, 2012, 05:47:10 AM »

Thank you. Who knows if Sago will build updated executables with it before 0.8.8...

PS, another curiosity: I noticed a patch you posted on the other thread, on 29 november, but that has been download 0 times. Was it important? Is it obsolete?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:20:38 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #343 on: January 10, 2012, 05:54:14 AM »

Gig, this is not a wiki. Cheesy

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #344 on: January 10, 2012, 07:21:20 AM »

Ooops! Smiley Link markup fixed.

Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #345 on: January 10, 2012, 01:02:06 PM »

Thank you. Who knows if Sago will build updated executables with it before 0.8.8...

PS, another curiosity: I noticed a patch you posted on the other thread, on 29 november, but that has been download 0 times. Was it important? Is it obsolete?

that was a developer workaround to permit having glsl programs on OS filesystem.. not needed

I don't think the changes I last did (adding a line feed) is something that would need to cause 0.8.8 to be rebuilt -  maybe just include it in the next release?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #346 on: February 07, 2012, 11:05:33 AM »

For Mac users.... please take a look: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4433.msg42915#msg42915

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #347 on: February 07, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »

I didn't even know that existed… Roll Eyes

Please PM me in this occasions or just post in a topic I've taken part in, I may not have time to play or to actively follow the forum but for a quick test i can save half an hour now and then.

Trying in a few minutes…
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #348 on: February 09, 2012, 05:02:55 PM »

Sorry guys, do you know which is the latest ioquake3 engine version integrated in OA binaries?

Wikia user "r9k" told me DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Talk:Manual/Using_Mods#Notes_for_server_admins]here that ioquake3 added sv_dlrate variable to allow higher downloads speeds for the UDP download (it is also mentioned in updated ioquake3 readme). He told it is in ioquake3 since r2073, 12.07.2011...
I tried in OA version 28 binaries, and that variable seems to do not exist... does someone know something about this?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #349 on: February 21, 2012, 11:29:49 AM »

In another thread Sago said that he tried to include that ''sv_dlrate'' system in OpenArena, but he did not succeed. I hope this may happen in future (it would be very useful), but of course I'm not capable to help in this thing.

Talking about binaries, an user reported here:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4446.msg43323#msg43323
crashes with 0.8.8 Mac executables...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
  Print  

Jump to: