Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Binaries for 0.8.x test thread  (Read 422794 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #275 on: December 13, 2011, 02:56:45 AM »

Okay. Tested version 26 executables.
OpenArena does not crash anymore with r_ext_vertex_shader 1 and vid_restart. This is good.  Smiley
But again, tried r_postprocess edges, r_postprocess egafilter, r_postprocess color1... and noticed absolutely nothing.  Huh

Attaching "developer 1" condump.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #276 on: December 13, 2011, 07:24:10 AM »

But again, tried r_postprocess edges, r_postprocess egafilter, r_postprocess color1... and noticed absolutely nothing.  Huh

You have to have the latest GLSL folder from Hitchhiker, download the glsl.zip, rename it to something like z_glsl.pk3, put into your baseoa folder, and it should work.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #277 on: December 13, 2011, 01:56:55 PM »

Gig, if you enter in console just /r_postprocess it will probably say that you're using program 'none'. your log file says that OA cannot locate the 'edges' program. Please try Udi 's suggestion - I'm hoping over here it will compile and work..
Then, I think all the programs I've made are a rough version of how they should be done.. i.e. edges could be done in a better way. 'bloom' should actually be called 'dream' or 'soften' as, quality-wise,  it does not come close to bloom that already exists in OA .. they were made along the way and more as quick demos of what could be done..

then off topic, svn - Revision 945: /experimental/fbo-test .. https://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3422
Some glsl programs there (to be adapted .. mainly file names) .. seems my postprocessing bit was kind of re-inventing the wheel
(on topic.. some ATI cards related fix there.. maybe be useful to get more info on the error you reported)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #278 on: December 13, 2011, 05:51:52 PM »

I will try adding that zip file, as pk3 (anyway the forum probably accepts pk3 files directly, without the need to rename them to .zip to upload them), to my baseoa. But I don't know exactly when I will be able to do it; I hope within 24h, but maybe 48.

Anyway, that zip file has been downloaded only four times until now... thus many people have not tried it yet...  I thought it was a file directed to Sago or Fromhell, to build the new version...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #279 on: December 14, 2011, 02:26:32 AM »

I will not be able to do tests on my system at least until tonight, so for the moment I did a test on another machine. Again Windows XP, but this one with an integrated video system (Windows reports it as a Intel Q35 Express Chipset Family)... I don't know, but it maybe it does not support pixel shader 2.0... IDK.

Dump taken with r_ext_vertex_shader 1, r_postprocess edges, developer 1.

This time, I have placed glsl.zip (renamed as z_glsl.pk3) into my baseoa folder. But I do not see the "edges" effect.

PS:
Gig, if you enter in console just /r_postprocess it will probably say that you're using program 'none'.
Even if it does not work, it does not revert "r_postprocess" to "none"... it remains the one I manually specified (e.g. "edges"), even if I close OA and start it again.

dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #280 on: December 14, 2011, 09:01:54 AM »

Intel Q35 Express Chipset Family

It would seem these support only OpenGL 1.4, so you won't be able to use shaders with this graphics card.

In defeat we learn.
Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #281 on: December 14, 2011, 02:15:31 PM »

Gig, if you enter in console just /r_postprocess it will probably say that you're using program 'none'
Even if it does not work, it does not revert "r_postprocess" to "none"... it remains the one I manually specified (e.g. "edges"), even if I close OA and start it again.

oops.. that is true... the cvar value remains even if the program is not found and thus loaded.. sorry for the bad info Sad

the log file says "glsl programs: disabled" .. quick look at the OpenGL extensions supported by the card -> some required extensions are missing on it.

Thank you Gig for all the testing!

I'm busy these days as well and earliest I will be able to look at the source again is next week.. Sad
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #282 on: December 14, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »

Hi! Tried on my system, with the glsl pack (re-attached here renamed as z_glsl.pk3, but it's the same zip file of Hitch's previous post).
Now, r_postprocess edges WORKS!!!!  Smiley
r_postprocess egafilter: I don't know what to look at.  Roll Eyes
r_postprocess <random string, to test what happens specifying a non-existing glsl program>: nothing happens.  Smiley
r_postprocess color1: glsl program finds an error (maybe a syntax error) and OA crashes on vid_restart (even if I'm using executables 26).  Rest In PEACE! (Log file attached)

Bye!

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #283 on: December 15, 2011, 02:13:34 AM »

An idea: if would be nice to have the console autocomplete feature to list possible values for "r_postprocess".
Sago, Fromhell... do you think it would be possible?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #284 on: December 15, 2011, 03:42:45 AM »

no because that would show a lot of invalid programs

we're trying to get 088 out here, not more featurecreep

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #285 on: December 16, 2011, 04:02:17 AM »

Okay, then.
Another question (Fromhell please do not get angry with me, I'm simply trying to say an idea to optimize times): considering that Hitchhiker will not be able to work on glsl before next week, and that it is a thing that is important (other than fixing that "color1" program -who knows if other glsl programs are bugged, too?-, making the game not crash if a glsl program fails compiling is important)... the release is then delayed of some more days.... what about using this time to take another look into the bloom bug with 16 bit textures? The workaround used in v25-26 executables (totally disabling bloom unless user forces 32bit textures) is a quite "rude" one...

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #286 on: December 16, 2011, 04:06:50 AM »

bloom was never intended to be used in 16-bit color because 16bpp doesn't have the appropriate texture format for it. It will never be done. It is unfixable.
besides, on modern hardware (like any HD Radeon or GF8+), you shouldn't even play in 16-bit color because the dithering feature is gone, and it's not faster in 16bpp... and if you HAVE to play in 16bpp, chances are your hardware doesn't even work well with bloom anyway

by the way, i'm not going to wait for the r_postprocess crash fix. I could release 088 before then. I wouldn't even be packing the color1/2 shaders anyway.

I'm already angry with you because I had to hold off 088 longer than I would have wanted. It's possible the schedule slip might end up into NEXT YEAR if this is kept up. ugh.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:40:45 AM by fromhell » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #287 on: December 16, 2011, 05:19:03 AM »

I'm sorry for annoying you, I can assure it's not my goal, but it's only a side effect of testing.

Anyway, I entered into GLSL stuff only recently... up to few days ago, I had not even understood what GLSL is. I had no interest on it until when you placed this new feature into the executables, and someone (maybe Sago) started saying that it could cause compatibilty problems... and then I started doing some tests with it, and discovered it may easily crash the game, a thing that would be better to avoid, IMHO. I don't even know what many of those glsl programs in the patch are supposed to do, or which of them you will include and which not....

PS: I don't think it's a problem to do not have bloom in case of really 16 bit textures; the problem with version 25-26 bloom is that (apart the bugged cascade bloom which is enabled by default), even if 99% people uses 32bit color depth in their OS, and keeping "default" enables 32 bit textures in that case (if I correctly understood), that "default" causes OA to forcedly disable bloom anyway (because you said the engine at that moment does not know what is the system color depth, or something similar...), and the error message shown in console is not clear enough to make people understand they have to force 32bit textures in order to use bloom.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:59:08 AM by Gig » Logged

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #288 on: December 16, 2011, 10:25:36 AM »

Don´t be angry with him.
Look: we now even have the mac version up!
It will be a nice x-mas gift this year Cheesy

maybe next release on easter? Grin
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #289 on: December 17, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »

Sago,

Testing this today on my FragFest Server.  Just noticed that there is no oa_ded.exe file.  However, I assume oa_ded.x86.exe is a drop-in replacement.  I also assume it is safe to go ahead and remove oa_ded.exe.

My question is why the name change?  I know ioq3 has supported 64bit for some time but there is no oa_ded.x64.exe file in the package and I assume there won't be a 64bit version for Windows until OA 3.0.

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #290 on: December 17, 2011, 03:39:57 PM »

The compile script have always included the architecture in the filename. I usually removed it while packing it. Currently I have a script that automatically creates the package without renaming it.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #291 on: December 18, 2011, 05:47:45 AM »

Maybe I forgot to say that also for me 0.8.5 does not crash with executables version26 and r_ext_vertex_shader 1. And if I set r_postprocess edges, it's okay, obviosly it does not work and a console line says it cannot find the "edges" glsl program. Okay.
It seems the only glsl fix still needed for executables is to intercept the case of errors in glsl programs and stop their execution without crashing the game (still writing something in console, if possible).

Sago, what do you suggest about the 16 bit Bloom thing?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 07:30:06 AM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #292 on: December 18, 2011, 06:57:34 PM »

I hope to get it out this week. There's a big storm brewing. If it's not out this week then it's not out this year.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #293 on: December 20, 2011, 12:15:42 PM »

Sago, what do you suggest about the 16 bit Bloom thing?
I always use 32 bit. Considering the memory requirements of bloom I don't see any need for it. Personally I don't like postprocessing effects that affects a large portion of the screen. Personally I think moderation is the key, effects loose meaning if overused. 

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #294 on: December 20, 2011, 12:22:45 PM »

Well, the question was not if bloom is nice or useful or not (e.g. I often leave it off, but that's not the point)... the question was about the current behavior that one has to manually force 32 bit textures in order to use bloom, because leaving "default" for that setting now disables bloom and the message shown in console is not clear enough to inform the user of what he is supposed to do to really enable bloom....

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #295 on: December 20, 2011, 12:26:52 PM »

My answer is still the same.

I don't believe I can speak about a function I don't understand.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #296 on: December 20, 2011, 03:09:40 PM »

Okay.... suggestions from someone else, then?

PS: Hitchhiker, are you still there? When do you think you will be able to take a look to the glsl code?

Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #297 on: December 21, 2011, 04:07:16 AM »

still around Smiley
I am at my bro´s place for next 10 days and he has an ATI card in his comp! So for me its downloading the source and having a look, testing... I am hoping to send some info and a fix by end of week..
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #298 on: December 23, 2011, 09:07:37 AM »

Okay. While we are waiting for Hitchhiker's new patch...

Jackoverful and other Mac testers, are you happy with the Mac version executables? Is everything ok?

PS: does someone want to say an opinion about the bloom question? Please...
FH, what would be the problem with, at least, making the error message clearer if one tries bloom without forcing 32 bit textures?

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #299 on: December 23, 2011, 09:19:34 AM »

Jackoverful and other Mac testers, are you happy with the Mac version executables? Is everything ok?
As happy as I can be not playing…Launched it a couple of times, it works, networking works, voip seems ok, but I basically don't have time to play these days.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
  Print  

Jump to: