Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unofficial "tiny" release  (Read 6791 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: December 05, 2006, 02:36:26 PM »

It's not official because I don't have an automatic reduction script (had to do this by hand) and also the pk3 checksums with pure servers will conflict and won't let you join.

But anyway, I was bored and decided to reduce most content by half (some by quarter) in quality (roughly close to Q3A's standards) and hooray, OA is 17mb. That's less than half the size of the Q3A demo and almost the size of the early Q3tests!

A win32 zip is here, though you can still use the pk3s with the linux version. Sorry, I was lazy.

This would probably benefit linux lite CD distros like Slax, linux game CD distros like Linux Live Game Project, slow computers such as Pentium 5 class machinese with a 1998-ish video card, and other platforms that have exotic Q3 ports (like portables). The loading times are (obviously) alot quicker as well.

I did test this on my P100 32mb ram Voodoo2 12mb Win95 rig, interestingly the fps was around from 5fps to 30fps even with r_detailTextures set to 1. This is good news, because it means it'll run fine on those horrible integrated 3d hardware Smiley
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 03:49:46 PM by leileilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Smithamax
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 07:05:00 PM »

sounds good but the compatibility with the servers is a real problem

raynorpat
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 03:22:23 PM »

if the server is set with sv_pure 0 it will allow you to join with any data, which is bad (someone could do a bright skin hack or something)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: