Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Simpler, faster torch model?  (Read 8201 times)
PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« on: January 22, 2009, 06:52:28 PM »

The torch model can do some serious FPS dropping when not used sparingly; oasago uses the torch model a lot - with a simpler torch it may be less hard on the FPS. Any other maps that use it could also get an FPS boost, of course. A 5-sided cone for the underside and two flame pictures/animations probably wouldn't look bad. I can't model so I can't make it, but with a model like this mappers could choose to use the faster model or the more detailed model.

... and as far as I know, a model like this doesn't exist currently. Of course it's easy to just make a custom torch in the map editor that uses only a couple brushes.

You could call this a request, I'm just babbling.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:34:15 PM »

A torch with an autoSprite2 flame and an autosprite "nexus" center effect, would be a more effective torch.

I tried to do a depthWrite torch shader, it screws up on ATI cards but worked on PowerVR hardware. It looked similar to torches from Zelda64. I think this 'failed' shader might still be on the SVN with intentionally invalid naming to keep it from loading.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 03:50:06 PM »

@PsYthe

I agree that a simpler torch may help but I thinks it's the size of the map that's creating the low fps. Next time you play the map be a spectator an look in any of the MANY small windows and you will see that large areas of the map are in accessible to players and are just for show. Half the time when I play,  there is so much going on that I don't even notice the windows let alone take the time to look into them. Why not delete the inner "decorative" room?

but any way........... I think a new torch would be a good idea

Gerbil

Cakes -2

not so strong

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:14:44 AM »

A simpler design for  the torch would definitely help, there are many large maps that work fine with fps/

Quote from: sploosh
there once was an animal called gerbil
he dreamed he was eating his turtle
he awoke with a frieght
in the middle of the night
to find out that he was a squirtle
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 05:09:39 PM »

Check the models folder. I created one for oa_koth1 (ships with OA since 0.76). Maybe it's too simple then. *scratch head*

Anyway OA needs new/more/better map models of all kind.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 10:57:42 AM by cosmo » Logged

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: