Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: skizim first look  (Read 7983 times)
onykage
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« on: December 12, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »

ok,

At AM's request, i dug skizim out of the sandbox and had a look.  Im hoping my first look comments do not hurt any feeling, because Im only saying what I saw from my own point of view.

1: ok. not really a design flaw, but I've been scratching my head trying to figure out wth who ever made this map was doing.  Either I have no concept of what a botclip is used for, or the person who originally built the map didn't.  There were botclips used in some of the most weird places.  Like the ramps, I dont see any reason the bots cant walk the ramps like a normal player.  Alot of the places where the clips where it was like a bot hint was supposed to be used there, instead of a bot clip.  I only brought this up and mentioned it, because if someone else can tell me the purpose of the clips i'll put them back, otherwise I ripped them out.

2: something else that just didn't make any sense to me.  There is all this structural detail, but not the first structurized brush, hardly no detail brushing, and zero trim brushing on the atrium walk ways.  The way the map itself is sculpted, its almost as if the map was thrown together, or rushed heavily.

3: yet another "wtf".  Its like someone played with some of the brushes, I found several that double over or bleed.  And i found these rather quickly without having to dig very much.

4: Ive never seen the final compile on this map, but the lighting must either be all screwed up, or this map was never rendered with a filter/bounce render.  The lighting is quite inadequate, and there are NO hints or area portals.

SOOOOOOO.......

Ive started reworking this at first glance, a "night mare before Christmas".  Ive attached a screen shot of the caulked up map with my starting to layout the flooring, and adding the missing trim to the atrium walkways.

Again, if my comments offended anyone, I offer my sincerest apologies to you now, again, Im only stating what I found from my first look at this map.

Lastly,
Im going to diligently work on this map for the next few days, and see if I can get it re-skinned.  It looks like Im going to have to make some shaders for it, which shouldn't be an issue.  I will try to keep you posted about this maps progress.  If I dont, then pester me about it.

one more thing.  This map is also lacking some detail models.  Its a base theme, so some fancy 120volt lamps would do nicely.  I how ever do not have the time right now to build the models, and re-skin this map, and finish the radiant101 tut im doing, and finish my own mapping endeavors, and ...  I can go on but I wont.  Ive already given myself way to much to try to do already. 

So.. if anyone can model or knows how to use a model program like milkshape or maya, build the .obj and post it and i'll convert it and skin it.  or atleast try.
TRaK.
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 12:01:52 AM »

Well, I look forward to seeing your amazing mapping skills save this map from everlasting mediocrity, 'cause the idiot who made it clearly didn't know wtf he was doing, after all.

Roll Eyes

psst: you can find the original map here: http://trak.mercenariesguild.net/node/13
onykage
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 01:33:49 AM »

Well, I look forward to seeing your amazing mapping skills save this map from everlasting mediocrity, 'cause the idiot who made it clearly didn't know wtf he was doing, after all.

Roll Eyes

psst: you can find the original map here: http://trak.mercenariesguild.net/node/13

*cough*

I knew I'd step on somones toes.  My appologies =(.  I'll post up the changes in about a week.  Then we can see who is the bigger idiot.  Roll Eyes
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 04:09:14 AM »

Don't start to fight, please. -.- Keep your fighting wishes for the Arena, not for the forums, please. -.-

I loved this map in 0.8.0 (Shrapnel... I loved that map in UT and it reminded me of that. T_T) so let's see what's up about it.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
BrainChemistry
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 10:07:35 AM »

The map is called Schism, not Skizim.

Well, actually I like the efforts you put into improving the map, onykage. Since this is the way how open source content gains a higher quality level step by step and might be able to compete with commercial content once.

The statement on TRaKs homepage "Schism is a map I started as a testing ground for my Filth texture set" explains the quality issues described.

sittingduck
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 01:18:01 PM »

Nice little map! I'm putting it into my server rotation. Smiley
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 01:24:56 PM »

You should wait until it's finished. Tongue

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: