Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu 8.04 w/ ATI x1300- game runs waaaay to fast.  (Read 9764 times)
Philc
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« on: January 03, 2009, 10:50:18 AM »

hi all-
I'm not a n00b to 1st person shooters, but recently switched to ubuntu 8.04 to ditch windows finally.

The problem I have w/ openarena is that it runs waaaay to fast. I can't even shoot at the other people in the local game!
I'm using the non-open source ati drivers. the system runs fine otherwise.

the system is a dell E1505 laptop w/ 2gig mem.

any ideas? I did a quick search but nothing showed up.

thanks all!
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 11:13:45 AM »

What do you mean by "too fast" ?

The speed you walk to ? The frequency of shoots ? The framerate you have ? The sensivity of your mouse ?

Have an eye on some OpenArena videos, they should illustrate typical gameplay.

If you haven't played games like Unreal Tournament or Quake yet, then this may be normal gameplay looks fast Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 11:18:02 AM »

I guess he's talking about framerate.

Try capping framerate to something like 60 or 30. I don't know what's the cvar, I know its something like cl_fps or something like that, but I don't remember now.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 12:08:22 PM »

Huh? Once FPS is above 60 (depends on monitor/gfx card) you can't notice anything else, and why would that make him unable to shoot anyone?

Maybe he's talking about gameplay, or mouse sensitivity.
Philc
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 12:36:45 PM »

when I mean "too fast", the other characters seem to fly through the room- I notice them and they are gone allready!
dash9

Cakes 6

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »

when I mean "too fast", the other characters seem to fly through the room- I notice them and they are gone allready!
It should not be that fast.. Maybe try the game on a friend's computer. Also, try to start a Single Player -> Skirmish game, with a few bots, and see how those move.

I found a great camping place: the enemy base!
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 02:18:06 PM »

Maybe guys you see are strafe jumping, but bots normally can't do that.

In local games, you may set g_speed to a value below 320, it affects the walking speed.

But I'd recommand you get accustomed to the high speed ... learn strafe jumping, and check some vids to be sure this is not a technical problem from your side Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
Speaker
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 10:09:29 AM »

Interesting. Never seen it in Q3, but it did happen to me in Unreal Tournament. I bought a new (much more powerful) video card and suddenly my FPS went up to something 300 or over, and everything (including me) moved much faster than before. The worst thing was that it was location dependent (i.e. in large rooms where there were lots of things to render it slowed down, then in narrow corridors it went like crazy again). Totally unplayable. UT does not have FPS capping so there was nothing else to do but crank up quality until the FPS dropped to acceptable levels. Never had thought I would try to lower my FPS :-)

Conclusion: try to cap your FPS (com_maxfps "125") and increase resolution and/or texture details. May help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: