Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.9.0 textures todo list?  (Read 150625 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 06:41:03 PM »

I've started adding the remaining missing texture/shader names from the shaders to the list in the wiki page. Hopefully I'll be creating some of these to speed up the process.

EDIT: Finished until ctf2. I'll continue later.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:20:11 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 01:30:23 AM »

I think this one is to ugly, i will redo the snake but it gives a sense of where it is going.
I used some textures i found on the openarena as material.
base_floor/diamond2.jpg for the snakeskin and base_wall/bluemetal2.jpg and bluemetal3b.jpg for the background

Ok my second improved version. Still not quite done

davidd: any progress on your snake textures by now? If you resemble true skin and add a structure to the background this is going to be useful.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 02:57:01 PM »

I've resorted the shaders by folder, this allowed me to add some of the missing shaders, there's still more work to do, but at least the entire base_, ctf_ and gothic_ sets have now the names of the missing textures on the wiki. Also packed with it is the env\xnight2* skybox, which is a copy of env\earthsky\*.jpg. That should solve the problem with Q3 skyboxes.

I've uploaded the file to the SVNC thread.

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1945.msg26258#msg26258

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 04:57:05 PM »

Made the following now. The shader file should be merged with base_light:
- base_light\light2blue_2500
- base_light\lt2_20k
- base_light\lt2_8000
- base_light\lt2_4000
- base_light\lt2_2000
- base_light\sm_light1blue
- base_light\sm_light1red
- base_light\light2
- base_light\light2.blend
- base_light\trianglelight
- base_light\trianglelight.blend

I'll test and then attach the file.

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 03:49:14 PM »

menu/art/pblogo.tga doesn't need a replacement and can be safely removed from the list of the missing textures, because it's the PunkBuster logo.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 01:12:28 AM »

menu/art/pblogo.tga doesn't need a replacement and can be safely removed from the list of the missing textures, because it's the PunkBuster logo.

What are non-map textures doing on the list of missing textures?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 07:55:08 AM »

What are non-map textures doing on the list of missing textures?

IDK ... they are listed on the wiki.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 08:10:53 AM »

I was lazy to separate them. Cheesy

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 08:49:47 AM »

Did a checkout of the SVN revision 922 and compared the textures directory with baseq3/textures. Here are the results:

Number of textures which have a replacement in OA: 459 files.
Number of textures which are missing in OA: 638 files.
That's a 42% progress. The missing texture list is attached to the post.

I know there are some other images outside of the textures directory and missing sprites too, but this list should keep me entertained for a while Smiley.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 09:23:01 AM »

You could have edited the wiki too, I've made a list there. Cheesy

EDIT: Are the shader textures inside of the .shader files included?

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 12:07:29 PM »

You could have edited the wiki too, I've made a list there. Cheesy

EDIT: Are the shader textures inside of the .shader files included?

Ok, the wiki edition is a good idea, will do it next week. I only listed the files that are in the textures folder, so only .tgas and .jpgs, so I was a bit lazy, but the textures only are more than 600 entries on my to do list Cheesy.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2009, 11:24:15 PM »

Number of textures which are missing in OA: 638 files.
That's a 42% progress.
Eek

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 06:31:38 AM »

Made a quick run through the q3 textures and classified them into 3 branches according how difficult is to remake it:
  • D1 - usually just a simple texture, or maximum 3 layers, can be made with a pixel based software like GIMP or Imagemagick
  • D2 - needs some simple drawings and 3D like lights and shadows, a drawing software like Inkscape or 3D rendering software like Blender is needed next to a pixel based one
  • D3 - needs really artistic drawings and amazing skills, can be produced with same softwares like D2 but takes more time

According to my subjective opinion the missing textures can be divided as following:
  • D1 - 139
  • D2 - 281
  • D3 - 212
If you sum it up, there's 4 textures missing, those are screenshots of maps, I don't know how they should be replaced, but they are probably D1. With these numbers we can make a rough estimation: let's say D1 requires one hour of work, D2 two hours of work and D3 four hours of work, then: 139+562+848 = 1549. There are a lot of textures which are just color variations of one type, so we may require just 80% of the whole time: 1239 hours. You can divide that with days, months, and developers how you like it. I think a contributor can spend 8 hours a week with OA, so it's 1239/8 = 155 weeks, which is 39 months. This time decreases of course if more contributors work on it or if one contributor can spend more time a week working on it, or works faster.

The list is attached to the post, it will be soon posted on the wiki.

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2009, 02:14:31 AM »

Updated the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_textures#.5Ctextures.5C]wiki section of missing textures. Todo: make a small script which automagically makes a Wikitext formatted list from the diff list, so updating the wiki doesn't takes 30 minutes. I actually removed the missing TA textures, it can wait a little bit, we should have some priorities, but if you insist I can make a list from that too.

As I noted on the wiki, it's more efficient to post 20-50 image packs to the SVN commits topic instead of single images, but if you have one texture ready please write your nick next to the texture name and make the filename strike-through so it stands out.

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 10:50:24 AM »

I've got a question about shader filenames. Right now there are some Q3 shaders defined in the clown.shader and clown2.shader files, like textures/base_wall/metalfloor_wall_14_specular. I think all the Q3 shaders should be in a more compatible file, like oa-base_wall.shader. Do we have a rule to name these files? Like there's a sfx.shader file in Q3 and an oasfx.shader file in OA, so should I write the shaders in base_wall.shader or oabase_wall.shader or something else?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2009, 07:15:43 AM »

Unfortunately I never enforced any rules on .shader conventions, makes me wish I had done so in 06 so the folder wouldn't be this huge mess. I agree it does need a reorganizing, possibly from scratch as there are a lot of unused junk shaders floating in there in the oanew and oasfx files.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2009, 07:47:29 AM »

I've resorted the shaders by folder, just like it was made on Q3, on the rev914 time, so I'll maybe get the shaders on rev922 and see what can I do with them.

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2009, 02:29:34 PM »

I've made some small perl scripts so I can easily compare Q3 files with OA files. GPLv2, cross platform, tested on Windows and Linux, download it from my site if you need it. With the scripts I've updated the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_textures]missing textures list[/u] on the wiki.

There's two shader lists too, one is DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_Q3_and_TA_shaders]the original Q3 and TA shader list[/u], the other is the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_OA_shaders]OA svn shader[/u] list. They should make the OA shader list reorganizing easier. I don't know if I should write a script for that task or not, we have to clean it only once it goes by hand too.

I have a question with shaders. Some Q3 shaders are referring to textures which are missing. Like textures/sfx/metalfloor_wall_15b_glow refers to textures/sfx/metalfloor_wall_15b.tga and textures/sfx/metalfloor_wall_15bglow.tga, but both textures are missing. Should we omit the shader too, or should we recreate the textures with some fantasy? In this example it is easy, because there's a textures/base_wall/metalfloor_wall_15b.tga file, so I have a clue what iD wanted to achieve.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2009, 02:04:29 AM »

Many of the shaders in Q3 were indeed cutting room floor leftovers that no one ever used, it's safe to omit those.

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 06:37:39 PM »

I have a licensing or copyright question. I'm working on a perl script which can exclude all the names of the texture lump of a BSP file, nothing more. I also have another script which can go through a directory, open the .shader files and grab the names of the shaders, nothing more. Can I run the scripts on the Q3 files? Is it a violation of the copyrights? Can I use this method for OA to gain a list of missing textures per Q3 maps? And finally can I redistribute this lists in a GPLv2 licensed package so other people don't need the original Q3 files, just the lists?

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2009, 09:21:13 PM »

Can I run the scripts on the Q3 files? Is it a violation of the copyrights?
I think technically (ultra technically) it would be copyright infringement to extract any part of the Q3A files.

But I also think that, pragmatically, the names of the shaders are not "assets" in any way (the images certainly are, and the shader definitions are, but not their names) and hence are OK to extract them.  US law does allow reverse engineering for the sake of interoperatibility (AFAIK) and this would fall under that.

Another way to achieve the same thing is to just load the Q3 maps into OA and collect the warnings about missing shaders from the console messages.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 07:54:35 AM »

Another way to achieve the same thing is to just load the Q3 maps into OA and collect the warnings about missing shaders from the console messages.

Is there a command for raising the level of debugging messages? Right now I don't get any warnings about missing shaders with 0.8.5 RC1.

But I will just go on, and generate the lists with the scripts I wrote, thanks for mentioning the interoperability exception. Mewse's most used shader list is a similar case, if it was not removed but stickied I think it is also accepted with OA.

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2009, 03:48:11 AM »

The DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_missing_textures_and_shaders_of_Q3_and_TA_maps]map based missing texture and shader lists[/u] are available on the wiki for some days. There's a summary on the top with the exact numbers, so you can pick the map with the fewest missing assets (mptourney1, q3ctf4, q3dm19, q3tourney1, q3tourney4 would be reasonable to start with). You can also find a DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/List_of_textures_and_shaders_of_Q3_and_TA_maps]list with all the textures and shaders[/u] per maps.

I've released the next version of my perl scripts, extended with the texturelump extraction script, all the other scripts are improved as well, STDIN and STDOUT aware, so you can create nice pipes with them. Still GPLv2, still tested on Linux and Windows, readme and example bash and batch scripts are still included.

And here comes a question. With the new version you can compare the folders with or without the file extensions. Here's the difference (base is Q3 and TA textures, compare is OA SVN rev. 923):
With extensions the usual high missing rate:
  • Number of base entries: 1950
  • Number of compare entries: 2085
  • Number of matching entries: 519
  • Number of missing entries: 1431
  • That is a 27% progress

But without the extensions the progress it's pretty nice:
  • Number of base entries: 1950
  • Number of compare entries: 2085
  • Number of matching entries: 1053
  • Number of missing entries: 897
  • That is a 54% progress

The 534 file difference comes from two factors:
a.) some of the replacement textures are pure JPGs instead of alpha channeled TGAs
b.) Team Arena included a lot of previous Q3 textures but in TGA format

The textures which lack alpha channels should be definitely fixed, but what is the policy regarding the textures which have both JPG and TGA version? Should we include both or if not, which format should we prefer?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2009, 08:04:15 AM »

The image loading priority in Q3, it is:
TGA > JPG > PCX > BMP > JPG

In OA, it is:
TGA > JPG > PNG > PCX > BMP

I have no idea why BMP is supported. mspaint ghetto support i guess lol
PCX is the only indexed color format supported by the engine, and there's not a single PCX ever used for a q3 based game. It is a legacy Q2 carry-over. I might make use of it though, since maybe a palettedtextures pk3  could benefit the 90s cards that support it natively (Voodoo series, GeforceFX, Rendition, PowerVR), or maybe just a cvar to upgrade tr_image.c to upload all textures resampled to a palette.lmp but that would increase loading times much for old computers. I wonder if it even supports alpha (index 255), Q2 did and some even used the blending of this to make psuedo 32-bit effects (that one star wars q2 mod)

Q3Tests have some textures Q3 never had as well, BTW. It also has TGA versions of textures.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:21:48 AM by leilol » Logged

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2009, 08:19:30 AM »

i think gtkradiant uses pcx to create heightmaps?
that's the only use i've ever seen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: