Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: new version?  (Read 54643 times)
Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 11:38:37 AM »

Just give up Valerio. The next version is probably going to be around November like the last release.  I LOVE YELLOW!!!

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 11:41:36 AM »

Just give up Valerio.

Valerio is a strong player ... he will never give up XD
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 12:25:35 PM »

Just give up Valerio. The next version is probably going to be around November like the last release.  I LOVE YELLOW!!!
9/9/09 OR when the Q3/TA texture replacements are done. Both said by fromhell. If you can help with them, then welcome...

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 11:45:35 PM »

9/9/09
That's the stupidest day ever
STUPID THINGS THAT CAME OUT ON 9/9/X9:
dream cast

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 03:18:56 AM »

What's wrong with the Dream Cast?

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 06:44:04 AM »

9/9/09
That's the stupidest day ever
STUPID THINGS THAT CAME OUT ON 9/9/X9:
dream cast
Past versions have been released on 6/6/6, 7/7/7 and 8/8/8... and then you've said this:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2003.0

Cheesy

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 09:56:59 AM »

I think that thread was a joke, but nothing gets done if deadlines don't exist though. We need more pressure, manpower, and womanpower.

SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 11:16:25 PM »

fromhell,

When is the missionpack ui going to be full-time usable?  I feel having just one UI is the way to go as it would simplify a whole lot of things, and put the content influence of the game completely in the hands of the artists, and make it easier for the developers to build more user friendly features into the game.

Sure we can do it all through cvar's right now...but theres a whole lot of the OA community that probably thinks a cvar is some sort of medical treatment device.   The rapid development capabilities of the MissionPack UI, would allow the code side of things to really push development of OpenArena out of the Q3 clone basement and into territory all its own (while not departing from Q3 too wildly).

PM me about it if you're interested in setting up time tables and what not.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 06:23:19 AM »

I think that thread was a joke, but nothing gets done if deadlines don't exist though. We need more pressure, manpower, and womanpower.
Well... you should have posted it on Club Nub instead of General if you wanted it to get taken as a joke. Cheesy
fromhell,

When is the missionpack ui going to be full-time usable?  I feel having just one UI is the way to go as it would simplify a whole lot of things, and put the content influence of the game completely in the hands of the artists, and make it easier for the developers to build more user friendly features into the game.

Sure we can do it all through cvar's right now...but theres a whole lot of the OA community that probably thinks a cvar is some sort of medical treatment device.   The rapid development capabilities of the MissionPack UI, would allow the code side of things to really push development of OpenArena out of the Q3 clone basement and into territory all its own (while not departing from Q3 too wildly).

PM me about it if you're interested in setting up time tables and what not.
What about someone starting that job and doing an entire MPUI from scratch? It (according to Roadmap) would be replacing OA's actual GUI at some time in the future. There's even doc about GUI creation.

SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2009, 02:08:06 AM »

What about someone starting that job and doing an entire MPUI from scratch? It (according to Roadmap) would be replacing OA's actual GUI at some time in the future. There's even doc about GUI creation.

What are ya nutz?
The code base for the missionpack UI is already done. Around 50% of the menus are done as well.  There just needs to be a real effort to finish em.

Since the actual menus are "scripted," its like fleshing out web-pages.   If you want crap, youll have coders do it.  If you want something usable and appealing to the user, youll have the artists/designers do it.

Not to mention, to turn on the missionpack UI as the sole UI, only takes a couple lines of code, and an additional pakX.pk3 file with the updated VM's.

So HERES THE PLAN!!!!

1. Finish THE MISSIONPACK UI to a releasable form. (Doesn't have to be 100% complete, just not look like the hack job it is right now)
2. Developers will compile the VM's.
3. Put them, and the menus in pak0.pk3
4. Put sounds, etc, into pak6-misc.pk3
5. RELEASE

I know I'm missing small details, but my point is this, its close and somebody really familiar with the work already done needs to put a move on it to get it COMPLETED.

It's just gonna take some people getting off their butts, putting a hault to media temporarily, and focusing on GUI content.
The code behind it all isn't a question.   OAX is plenty active, and actually we are a little restricted creatively by not having any direction on the GUI component. 

WE ARE CLOSE TO HAVING A REALLY KICKASS, EASILY MODDABLE/CUSTOMIZABLE GAME!

WE ARE CLOSE TO BEING ABLE TO SET OA TRULY FREE!
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2009, 11:23:07 PM »

Myself, i'd like to focus on the player models and animation task first, since i'm one of the remaining few in existence that still know how to do that. I suck at UI design, the current MP ui was a lucky attempt.

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 01:58:08 AM »

Go on SharpestTool, get some buddies and let your plan come true.

SharpestTool
Lesser Nub

Cakes -27

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 09:59:22 PM »

fromhell...

Do you have an actual list of all the textures by file name that have been used/created thus far, and a description of what they are?

I'd get to working on it, but since I haven't done much of the art deal, and would have NO IDEA where to start with what...

and I honestly dont have the time.

again, I'd be more than happy to get moving on it...once a solid infrastructure is done up, it'll make game features so much more noob user friendly than cvars which stay latched, get stuck in different mods, and some "1337" players don't even know how to use either.   

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2009, 12:22:35 AM »

Maybe this can help:

The description of menus can lay across many files. In fact, the Quake III: Team Arena main menu is described across more than 30 files. There are three main components to the menu system:

1. menuloader
   2. menu definition (menuDef)
   3. item definition (itemDef)

Items are the individual parts of a menu that actually carry out actions. Menus are logical (and physical) groupings of items. Submenus are possible, but not directly (i.e. no defining a menu inside a menu); instead, an item may open another menu, then re-open the previous menu upon closing, creating a submenu effect. Menuloader lists menus to prepare for display, and, in a sense, groups menus.

"Menuloader" is a fabricated word to describe the file. Relevant variables in the game source use the name "menuFile", but I feel that name would be confusing with "menuDef". So far, only one keyword is recognized: ``loadmenu''.

A menuloader groups menus into functionally related groups. Q3TA has three such main groups:

* ui/hud.txt - cgame module
    * ui/ingame.txt - ui module
    * ui/menus.txt - ui module

Frequently, the menuloader file has the extension ".txt". In the case of user-customized menus, the user would need to use the extension ".cfg" instead (".menu" is also valid, but not recommended for sake of clarity). The content is often:

{
        loadmenu { "somefile.menu" }
        loadmenu { "someotherfile.menu" }
        loadmenu { "morefile.menu" }
    }

Where each string indicates a .menu file to load and prepare.

I suggest to plan the menu before "ensambling" it. The ensambling seems to be the easier part of the process, if this is complemented with a proper plan.

Nambi
Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2009, 06:48:13 PM »

The new version will come out...
11/11/11 at 11:11:11
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2009, 07:18:44 PM »

The new version will come out...
11/11/11 at 11:11:11

63 at 63 Huh
tuppe666
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2009, 01:58:15 PM »

Its been a long time about a pre release, to attract new and interested parties. Through in a little low level viral marketing see what works!
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2009, 01:53:01 AM »

I see more projects on moddb having a trend of weekly updates every Friday. I've never done the pre-hype bandwagon with a project before, should I attempt to do the typical pre-tease, or keep it shut until release like we already have been doing for the last 3 years?

That way the hype can boil in, the comments and thoughts can settle, and some attention might drive some motivation a bit more. OA's been looking bleak to the unsuspecting public since the October 08 release fiasco, so maybe weekly '3 best wip screenshots' would liven things up and encourage outside contributions.

OA 0.9.0 isn't ready for 09-09-09. It hasn't been in that state for a while. enki's still too busy and i'm still a lone animator stuck with priorities in life.

CodeBreaker
Nub

Cakes 1

Can you break the code?

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2009, 08:59:11 PM »

I see more projects on moddb having a trend of weekly updates every Friday. I've never done the pre-hype bandwagon with a project before, should I attempt to do the typical pre-tease, or keep it shut until release like we already have been doing for the last 3 years?

That way the hype can boil in, the comments and thoughts can settle, and some attention might drive some motivation a bit more. OA's been looking bleak to the unsuspecting public since the October 08 release fiasco, so maybe weekly '3 best wip screenshots' would liven things up and encourage outside contributions.

OA 0.9.0 isn't ready for 09-09-09. It hasn't been in that state for a while. enki's still too busy and i'm still a lone animator stuck with priorities in life.

I say go with hyping it.  If you handle it right, who knows?  You may entice some newcomers into joining the arena.  For instance, Warsow has hyped up their 0.5 release for a while, and keeping a devblog.  Perhaps that what you might do, Lei.  Keep the public up to date with a devblog and screens instead of leaving them pacing around (myself included.)

I know OA's not ready for a 9/9/09 release yet, and I know about real life priorities.  I wouldn't want you guys to rush out the finished product.  Heck, I'm up for a 10/10/10 release if it takes that long.  I have confidence in you and your staff, fromhell.  This project's in good hands.

Remember, only camp to snipe. NEVER to spawnkill.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »

As such, I have opened an image gallery forum to share good screenshots. Eventually the new site design will link from this forum like a news page with a 'comment' link and so like news articles, so I don't have to do some dirty direct image linking.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 01:49:59 AM by leilol » Logged

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2009, 02:05:11 AM »

A few teasers now and then will be encouraging. Most projects (regardless if commercial or opensource) do this.

I'll be back working on things in October.

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2009, 08:49:32 AM »

What about an intermediate security/stability engine update ?

No new features , only an updated engine based on the latest ioquake3 revision which has some fixes for some bugs.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2009, 05:12:06 AM »

That's possible. Problem is, I don't compile binaries.

Also FYI this is where I have been doing the weekly updates.
http://www.moddb.com/games/openarena/news

i'm almost tempted to swap the oa site for e107 cms, because i'm having fun with e107 over here.

chaoticsoldier

Cakes 18

This space intentionally left blank.

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2009, 09:30:53 AM »

Weekly updates are great! Let's hope there's never a shortage of stuff to write in them Smiley

0101100101101111011101010010011101110110011001010010000001101010011101010111001101110100001000000111011101100001011100110111010001100101011001000010000001111001011011110111010101110010001000000111010001101001011011010110010100101110
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2009, 10:52:44 PM »

Yeah, that's why i'm only unveiling 2 maps at a time. At this pace i'll have to do that.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: