Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: am_underworks2 - A (comp?) map of mine  (Read 67741 times)
cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 02:29:34 PM »

There are some great jumpin' possibilities now.
The outer area has serious performance problems. Did your vis compile produce this? It's bad.
The outer area is still too big for my taste. You have just two levels of action there. Maybe you cut it's horizontal size in half and add an additional height.

Like bill said: Add a teleporter in the dark corner under the stairs which lead into the water.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 05:55:47 AM »

I have a headache. -.-

Here's a2. Some of the main changes:
- New level in both Generator room and Storage area. The SG in the latter was moved to the new floor.
- Teleporter! It goes from the lower floor to the ceiling in front of the RL house.
- Added some obstacles in the ceilings.
- Screwed a bit with the lighting. Tongue Although the map can't be compiled without -nocollapse. -.-
- Many minor changes.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 07:31:37 AM »

Any comment? I want to work on it a bit on these days.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 09:34:55 AM »

It's much better than the first version, it look great, plays great, congrats Smiley! Just a few small ideas which popped into my mind:
  • Move the jumppad which is next to the red armor to the opposite side of the storage room, or make it a vertical jumppad, so people get to the ledge on the opposite side, not on the side where they can jump immediatly to the megahealth. Maybe you could make holes in the ledge, so people have to jump to get across to the opposite side of the room. Since it's an underworks scene, broken ledges may look a bit strange, so maybe you could make the metal door in the storage room taller and make a gap for the door in the ledge. It's not bad if the gap is too big to jump across, you still have to go the other way, and at least it breaks down the 360 degree camping position.
  • The passage to the railgun is the most boring part of the map. Maybe you could resize the map so that passage gets shorter, and you should drop in small barrels on the stairs side so people can get cover from campers.
  • Opening up a container in the open area is a great idea, why don't you open up some more? Or they have doors, maybe you can hide something behind them.
  • And a sick idea in the end: could you add a lightning effect all over the generators cage? Like it was after a shortcut and deadly to touch. Maybe you could open up the cage from above and everyone who falls into it would be electrocuted Cheesy. That would require vertical jumppads too, so players need to make a well aimed jump not to be rosted.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 06:13:16 PM »

a3:
- Hinting. That leaded to some structural brush fixing as well.
- Botclip improved.
- The ledge on the depot area isn't "circular" anymore. It has a beginning in the armor side, and an end before reaching the "garage doors".
- Switched YA & RA, so there's no "dominant area". Until a3, the "dominant area" was the depot one, with RA + LG.
- Added some barrels to the Railgun area.
- The jumppad on the Depot area was moved to the opposite side of the room.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 07:02:03 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 05:23:45 PM »

Uploading a4...
These are the changes, only minor, since there was next to not input. :/

- Switched MH and YA. Now, Red Armor is in the outdoor area, Yellow Armor in the Generator Room and MH in the Depot area. Also switched in the Gen room the RL position with the YA, so YA is in the floor and RL in the upper position. To make up for this, in the outdoor area the positions of PG and RL are switched too. (Good that they were close) Due to these changes, some health and armors had been moved too, to keep the balance.
- Added more spawnpoints. There're 16 spawnpoints in the map in total, so there won't be any telefrag.
- Moved the target_positions of the side sewer jumppads which goes to Depot area and Gen room.
- Some more hinting. (Some areas shouldn't be rendered at some places) Also, some brushes which shouldn't be structural (unnecesary vis portals) are now detail.
- Some clipping & botclipping fixes.
- Minor structural changes.
- Included a missing shader.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 05:53:20 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 06:27:22 PM »

Uploaded. Enjoy, comment. Tongue
I didn't changed the screenshots because there's not so much visual change, aside from a few placements and other minor things.

cosmo

Cakes 18

on a dead horse

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 12:09:45 PM »

Nice progress. This one should replace V1!

Here are my thoughts:

* remove the new jumppad again as you were able to jump in that direction without it too. Right now it blocks your path in the opposite direction.
* speaking of that direction and the jumppads: are you sure to have three of them from the lower, wastery floor? Why not just have one which pushes you up and have two ledges at the walls where you can walk back to the openings on both sides?
* I noticed you used one of my new teleporter models. The other one, yet unreleased because untextured model would fit way better. I see if I can finish it within this week. There is a 2nd texture for the current one in work too.
* For my taste there are still too long hallways but that's the nature of this map. Think about the trim edges of the upper, outer area. They are like little stairs so you are always doing some vertical movement which blocks your strafejumping attempts.

- HUNT HIGHSCORES - mapping - xmpp://cosmo@spaceboyz.net
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2009, 07:31:45 PM »

Well, I couldn't with myself. My spider-sense (?) told me that this map had many, MANY, MANY issues, so I've decided to polish it a bit more:

- Added .arena file. I can't believe I've just forgot this, FFS!!!
- The map was too, TOO dark, so I've tried to fix this as well.
- Added DOM support, with 3 points. This map seems to be well suited for this gametype.
- Opened a new passage between the outdoor area and the Depot. The original single passage among zones was bad. (a.k.a. "A camping place") I'm fearing now that this map could be TOO BIG for 1on1.
- Cutted the circular ledge on the Generator room.
- The jumppads from the sewers towards the outdoor area were moved. A ledge was raised in that empty area, and two jumppads were removed.
- Many more minor changes and brushwork fix.

I guess this one will be the final version, depending on the feedback.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:37:55 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 01:31:30 PM »

It's so cool Cheesy! I like how you moved the RA and MH. I love the small lights on the railgun corridor wall, you can actually strafe on them Smiley. Just one minor question: wouldn't the wrackdm17 teleporter fit more into the map than cosmo's one?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2009, 04:31:58 PM »

Merry christmas!!!

- The outdoor area has been redone entirely.
- Moved the Elimination starts for the teams.
- Opened a new passage between the Generator Room and the outdoor area.
- Spreaded some barrels over the water zone, for more jumping possibilities.
- Clusterportaled. There's one or two CP not working well, unfortunately. U_U
- Some minor changes.

I was going to open a new level which started on both ends of the sewers. (That would be the only water zone of the map) But the map would be very big, maybe even more than with the "houses".

As always, the DL link and the screenies are in the first post.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 08:02:46 AM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2009, 04:09:43 AM »

Brilliant Cheesy! The new columns and platforms are awesome! I love the purple lights behind the portal, and also the lights on the new platforms. The new passage is also cool, makes the map more dynamic and open. Maybe you could increase the number of default bots, there's plenty enough rooms and weapons for 4-5 players.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2010, 01:13:04 PM »

final3 with just small changes: (UPLOADING!!! There'll be new screenshots too!!!)
- Slopes next to the sewer stair.
- Some lights added to the Railgun sewer. The existent lights weren't touched. As a counterbalance, their lighting was lowered so the overall lighting of the zone doesn't seem too screwed.
- Bot navigation improvements.
- The barrels were turned from models to simple patches.
- Clusterportals from zone 3 (Sewers) to 4 (Generator) are now working well.
- Many more minor changes.

Hopefully this one will be the version which will come with 0.8.5.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2010, 01:51:03 PM »

Done with uploading. Enjoy.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 01:04:57 PM »

I've forgot a texture in the latest release. Uploaded final3v2. Just that.

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2010, 02:01:44 PM »

I've forgot a texture in the latest release. Uploaded final3v2. Just that.

The newest link throws a 404 Not Found error.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2010, 02:45:28 PM »

Try now...

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2010, 03:55:48 PM »

It's the same Sad : http://www.onykage.com/files/armageddonman/am_underworks2-final3-v2.zip

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2010, 03:57:46 PM »

Same for me
erikkol
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 04:31:15 PM »

Hey sorry i'm really new to this and i'm not a programmer or anything but i enjoy playing this game alot. Me and a bunch of other friends play this game during our class ( while the teacher isn't looking ) and well i can say we have had many fun classes so thanks to all you guys out there who helped make this game... Now to my question, how do you install these maps? i have the latest version of open arena... and i've tried a couple ways but if you guys would care to fill me in much would be appriciated
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2010, 05:32:56 PM »

Same for me
Damn... the uploading is failing... -.-
Would you mind if I upload it to some filesharing service such as rapidshare or megaupload? At least, until I can solve this uploading drama... -.-

Hey sorry i'm really new to this and i'm not a programmer or anything but i enjoy playing this game alot. Me and a bunch of other friends play this game during our class ( while the teacher isn't looking ) and well i can say we have had many fun classes so thanks to all you guys out there who helped make this game... Now to my question, how do you install these maps? i have the latest version of open arena... and i've tried a couple ways but if you guys would care to fill me in much would be appriciated
Extract the pk3 files to <openarena>\baseoa folder. <openarena> is the folder where you have the game.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2010, 06:26:15 AM »

Finally, I have managed to not only upload the file, but also it weighs half of its older size. (Due to the removal of the unnecesary textures and models)

Unfortunately, I guess it didn't made the committing. Sad

erikkol
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2010, 11:30:58 AM »

Extract the pk3 files to <openarena>\baseoa folder. <openarena> is the folder where you have the game.

Alrite thats what i tried, and some maps seem to be working and some don't. what if the files with a .map file ? what would i do with that?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2010, 01:05:29 PM »

The map must include inside of the pk3 (which is a zip file after all) an .arena file inside of the folder scripts with the right data, in order to make the map to appear in the Skirmish menu.

The .map files are included in GPL maps as the "source" to fulfill the half of the GPL requirement. (The other half being the license file "COPYING" or "gplv2/2.0/2-0/etc.txt") If you aren't interested on seeing how the map was done, then there's nothing to do with it.

yinmir
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2010, 10:20:44 AM »

D: preetttyyyy
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: