Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I archive OpenArena models on OpenGameArt.org?  (Read 11872 times)
Lendrick
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: May 11, 2009, 10:55:07 AM »

Greets!

I was wondering if it would be cool with everyone if I archived some or all of the OpenArena content on my site, OpenGameArt.org.  The 3D art for this project is among the best I've seen in an Open Source game -- obviously there's a lot of talent here. 

Now, before anyone points out to me that it's a silly question because the art is GPLed, the reason I'm asking is out of respect for the community and not out of any question of legality.  Smiley

Peace,
Bart
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 05:37:27 PM »

Replicate data ... Replicate data ... Replicate data ... Replicate data ... Replicate data ... Replicate data ... Replicate data ... Replicate data ... F*ck Copyright ... Replicate data ... Replicate data ... Replicate data ... Replicate data ... Replicate data ... Replicate data

Todo: Walk the cat.
Lendrick
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 12:41:38 PM »

I'm guessing from the silence (and the single incomprehensible reply Wink ) that no one has a problem, so I'm going to go ahead.  In the event that there are any issues, please contact me and let me know, and I'll be happy to make adjustments or take it back down.
Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 01:45:02 PM »

I say go for it! By the way, what file types do you accept? Is it just .blend or is .obj alright?

Lendrick
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »

Either one is fine, yes.  If you have both, .blend is preferred. Smiley

Thanks!

Bart
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 04:50:33 PM »

[philosophical aspect]
Well, as you said, OA content is GPLed.
GPL is about giving freedoms, so you can put it into practice the way you like (= freely). It's a way not to depend on what one thinks is good or bad, but rather gives you the responsibility to judge by yourself.
When you put some artwork under copyleft or non-copyright, that means you thrust people in how they will use it, otherwise you would stick to full copyright.
However, you may be right in asking. Freedom allows you not to rely on somebody else, but it's always better if you and the author share the same point of view.[/philosophical aspect]

Do you think artwork depots can harm ? I doubt ...

So, let's /callvote custom GetOAintoDepot

vote yes

:x

Todo: Walk the cat.
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 05:31:21 PM »

GPL is meant for sharing. Content becomes more valuable as more people work on and improve it.

We all benefit. Smiley
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:24:27 PM »

virtualworlds wiki has more organized versions with their textures. Problem with OA's blend files is that they're not relative path - they're absolutely confined to whatever working folder i've set to (like D:\projects\oa2\source\assets\blah\etc) and have unneccessary export logs also. Before you copy them you should clean them (and maybe pack in textures) and also have the credits in there. There's typically a CREDITS file in each model's folder or so...

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: