Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aligned flagbases and obelisk  (Read 18971 times)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« on: May 11, 2009, 07:39:02 PM »

In reply to an old topic: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2077.0

While looking for an md3 viewer I stumbled upon Misfit Model 3D and I realized that it can be used to align md3 models. leileilol said that the blender export plugin made it hard to align models and in that case I see the alignment I have done in Misfit Model 3D as part of the export procedure and therefore the original blend file is still valid source. (terrible long sentence)

I have aligned the flagbases and neutral obelisk to the same coordinates as used in Team Arena (I have tested them in TA too, the middle obelisk is floating a little in mpteam1 but so is id's own model in that map, fits perfectly in mpteam2).

Nearly all maps uses different placement of the models (even I have misplaced the middle obelisk in oasago2 even though I was aware of it). I think we should decide an alignment before even more alternative placements appear.

Aligned models: http://files.poulsander.com/~poul19/public_files/z_alignedmodels.pk3
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 07:33:07 AM by sago007 » Logged

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »

The aligment of the obelisk is also important cause of a bug (currently in OA 0.8.5): if the origin (x, y, z) of the entity of the obelisk does not touch the ground, when then playing in Overload mode, the bots will not be able to correcly identify it as a target, and they will act strangely, shooting at the "client 0" player, even if he's their own team-mate!

When you create a map for Overload mode, please always test it to check that this problem does not occur.

Better aligned models may help the mappers in preventing this problem.

Sago, what about writing some info about how to use the aligned models? How will they be included in the next release of OpenArena? How will co-exist maps created using the misaligned models and maps created using the aligned models? I suppose that in the future, the aligned models should be the "default"...

PS: I linked this thread in the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_information_for_special_gametypes#Overload]Wiki.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:11:18 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 03:10:39 PM »

Great work, sago!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 07:56:51 AM »

Sago, what about adding these models to the SVN?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 07:19:20 PM »

You mean me?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 08:13:40 PM »

Well, the current models for these items are a bit "flawed". Sago fixed them and placed them here... but I thought that it would be much simpler to use them if people may directly download them when setting up their GTK/Net Radiant with the SVN, right? In a PM some time ago I asked to him if they were on the SVN, and he replied to me that
Quote from: Sago007
I believe the models are only in my post. To get it in svn, someone with blender export skill should possible fix it there otherwise the problem reappears every time some updates the model. My patch was only meant as a way to help mappers.
I'm sorry I don't understand what should be fixed. If he fixed them (moving the "origin" to the right place), what kind of additional fix is needed? Why should the problem return?

PS: I have to say that I'm completely new to mapping, and I even don't know how to force an entity to use a different model from its default one used in the editor. I'm studying the basics of Q3Radiant, and my try to add a "model" key to change the model of an entity has been a failure: I tried to tell a rocket launcher to spawn with the md3 of the railgun... the only thing that changed was that the next time I tried to open the .map file, Q3Radiant gave me an error, forcing me to remove that "model" key from the file with a text editor...

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 10:02:27 AM »

Why should the problem return?
I have not applied the change to the original source because I don't understand blender. So if anyone changes the model in Blander and exports it again my change will disappear.

I have pointed out the problem but I need someone who understands the Blender and the Blender export script to make the change permanent.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 12:50:52 PM »

I have not applied the change to the original source because I don't understand blender. So if anyone changes the model in Blander and exports it again my change will disappear.

I have pointed out the problem but I need someone who understands the Blender and the Blender export script to make the change permanent.

i was looking into fixing the blender files a while back but couldn't find the relevant ones. could you post a link/tell me where they are in the svn? and the export script, please.

— VortexHU —
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »

/source/assets/models/missionpack/overload ?
I remember taking the submitted base for the overload mode onto the ctf flags

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 11:08:33 PM »

how's this work? translated stuff so the lowest points are at the origin. unfortunately the bigger part that holds the crystal floats a little so the crystal isn't below the origin (could fix by shrinking crystal).

— VortexHU —
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 05:53:43 AM »

Fromhell, since you're the one that knows Blender... did you take a look to VortexHU's work?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 01:56:07 AM »

Hi guys!

Any news about this topic?
Sago, Fromhell, VortexHU?

See also: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Talk:Bugs#Overload_bug

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: