Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: campaign for free q3 content  (Read 6216 times)
MilesTeg
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« on: December 30, 2006, 02:35:25 AM »

Should we start a campaign to convince some of the modders to release their old q3 stuff under the GPL-licence so it can be included in OA ? This would be much easier than building all kinds of models and maps from scratch. I think many modders would be happy to see their work reanimated Smiley

What do you think?

MilesTeg

PS: Finally OA gets a 800+ digg entry! Happy new year!!

"We are all connected"
white haired boy
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 06:28:39 AM »

hello miles,

i've been thinking of something similar. i've been playing a lot of urban terror (my shameful counterstrike-type fix) and i've noticed a few maps have missing textures and some don't work at all. it had occured to me that it might be nice to contact some of these quake3 modders and introduce ourselves. not many people play quake3 anymore so many of these mods will be going into decline, but openarena is a new lease of life for them. if we can help them get their mods to work properly on openarena and show them the benefits of opensource we might be able to convince some of them to gpl their maps.

white haired boy.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 11:58:52 AM »

I think a GPL (not CC) campaign for .maps and original non-derivative textures would be better. Models aren't currently a problem.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: