Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ArenaLive  (Read 18822 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: July 06, 2009, 08:52:37 AM »

i'm surprised there's no topic about this yet considering the slashdot coverage. I'm also surprised we're also not slashdotted.

Its existence seems driven by the fact QuakeLive's beta Linux client isn't out yet, and that it's thought to be a lost cause (IT'S NOT), and that etc Linux needs a game before Windows. It's more zealousism (the "GNU/Linux" proves it) than practicality, anyway.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:53:42 PM »

http://arenalive.zexos.org/

Is this fine? ;-)
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 07:00:26 PM »

I was excited to see the Slashdot posting, but was somewhat underwhelmed by the website and forum. I was unable to tell whether or not it was a serious project without digging into their git.

Being lazy, I thought I'd wait for commentary here. Wink
PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 12:15:25 AM »

its very nice, runs smooth and is idiot proof.
but as fromhell said - the author did the project to proof that there should be an QL -linux verion all along and its no problem to build one.

this being said:
- the stats are very minimalistic. 6 elements in a txt format
- only 5 servers available, 3 in france, one in ger, one in CZ
- it uses its own protocol (121) so you cant connect to other games
- it has very few and very n00bish players.
- a lot of child deseases. eg. if you change your name in game, you loose your stats for that game.
- their forum has less then 10 entries, and those are from the programmer (no active community, but a one-man (or women) show)

so its basically a proof of concept. it runs 081 and can surely be expanded, but it seems more likely it will disappear as soon as the ql linux client is out.

Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 10:29:37 AM »

The idea is not bad, I just wonder why we didn't know about it before Slashdot? Wouldn't it be more logical to work together with the OA team? OAX already gathers a ton of statistics, we have engine coders, I'm sure they are ready to help with the engine changes, so one could easily concentrate on the plugin/web interface (which alone is a huge undertaking). Well, maybe it's just the developer's way of making things: he already has a unique OS under GPLv3 Smiley.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 10:40:11 AM »

The idea is not bad, I just wonder why we didn't know about it before Slashdot? Wouldn't it be more logical to work together with the OA team? OAX already gathers a ton of statistics, we have engine coders, I'm sure they are ready to help with the engine changes, so one could easily concentrate on the plugin/web interface (which alone is a huge undertaking). Well, maybe it's just the developer's way of making things: he already has a unique OS under GPLv3 Smiley.

Yeah , sure ... the only reason for the existence of a plugin/web interface is for placing , for example, google adsense ads.

BTW , QL records all the players' stats in a distribuited DB based on Oracle 11g.

EDIT : QL does not allow users to have their own servers ( and maybe never will allow ) ; they buy servers around the world and place game servers , DB servers and web servers to be aggregated to the "QL OWN NETWORK".
Now , how can they pay for building such this infrastructure ? ADS only ?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:32:01 AM by Falkland » Logged
befno
Half-Nub

Cakes -6

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 04:26:10 PM »

Yeah , sure ... the only reason for the existence of a plugin/web interface is for placing , for example, google adsense ads.

BTW , QL records all the players' stats in a distribuited DB based on Oracle 11g.

EDIT : QL does not allow users to have their own servers ( and maybe never will allow ) ; they buy servers around the world and place game servers , DB servers and web servers to be aggregated to the "QL OWN NETWORK".
Now , how can they pay for building such this infrastructure ? ADS only ?

But there are private servers in QL now, they were added recently. 
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 05:57:49 PM »

Are u sure of it ?

Because what I've read on QL forum is that they added more servers around the world ( expecially in Europe ) , but those are not exactly private servers.

And I've also read many ppl complaining about them ( eg ... Polish ppl that had a lower ping connecting to Swedish servers than connecting to Polish servers, only because the hosting provider used a funambolic route to receive/send end user traffic ) , about netcode failures ( eg ... maybe they use something like unlagged that often registers a hit while the trail of the rg is not exaclty hitting the enemy ) , about cheaters , about punkbuster ... etc etc etc ...

Back on topic , this is the demonstration that the plugins can be coded for *nix , not the client ...

Most of linux/OSX players are stopped by the lack of the browser support : but the REAL CLIENT is missing indeed .
davidd
Half-Nub

Cakes 6

[Z] server maintainer

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 01:05:10 PM »

i'm surprised there's no topic about this yet considering the slashdot coverage.

I'm also surprised we're also not slashdotted.

was that the reason the forum was down?

Openarena, the freedom to contribute and extend.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 09:42:28 PM »

was that the reason the forum was down?
Heh, no.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 06:43:37 AM »

The downtime although coincidental was a hard drive failure and had nothing to do with dot slash hack org.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
befno
Half-Nub

Cakes -6

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 09:41:47 PM »

Are u sure of it ?

Because what I've read on QL forum is that they added more servers around the world ( expecially in Europe ) , but those are not exactly private servers.

And I've also read many ppl complaining about them ( eg ... Polish ppl that had a lower ping connecting to Swedish servers than connecting to Polish servers, only because the hosting provider used a funambolic route to receive/send end user traffic ) , about netcode failures ( eg ... maybe they use something like unlagged that often registers a hit while the trail of the rg is not exaclty hitting the enemy ) , about cheaters , about punkbuster ... etc etc etc ...

Back on topic , this is the demonstration that the plugins can be coded for *nix , not the client ...

Most of linux/OSX players are stopped by the lack of the browser support : but the REAL CLIENT is missing indeed .

Well, not 100% certain, but I have seen when I've logged into my QL account several servers in the main server browser tagged as "private" and password enabled.  Granted I've only seen them like one time, and havent seen any lately.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 08:17:29 AM »

Well, not 100% certain, but I have seen when I've logged into my QL account several servers in the main server browser tagged as "private" and password enabled.  Granted I've only seen them like one time, and havent seen any lately.

Probably they were password protected while beeing updated and/or tested by developers and/or set up by a global admin ; anyway I've read somewhere that they rent servers to private users ( eg giving admin rights , rcon access ...) and nothing more.

What I've read for sure is that many ppl are complaining about the impossibility to start a server also for LAN game ; atm a single  summer LAN game event CANNOT be based on QL.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 09:03:33 AM »

IIRC from one of the official postings on QL forums, the private servers will actually be a premium service with (obviously) a (I guess monthly) fee to be paid for it, along with many other things which aren't available by default on QL.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Ivan_D
Nub

Cakes -1

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 11:43:45 PM »

he private servers will actually be a premium service with (obviously) a (I guess monthly) fee to be paid for it, along with many other things which aren't available by default on QL.
I'm sorry for the offtop here, but this is actually a thing that I like about oa, I'm more or less sure that in oa082 fromhell won't suddenly throw banners into the official maps and won't start selling the ability to colour your nickname as a part of premium account for just 9.99 $/month.

And here I have:
- linux client
- ability to play any map from http://q3a.ath.cx/
- ability to run as many "private servers" as I wish
- ability to plug in cpma and get all those features, that were included for years (actually it's a lie, I never run cpma with oa, but anyway)
- ability to try all those patches flying around and try new features (like Airways patch by jack_thompson)
- ability to ask someone (jack_thompson!!!) to write a fix if something is wrong

What I don't have:
- Id Softowore logo (damn)

/rant&provocation
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 12:57:02 AM by Ivan_D » Logged

In Soviet Russia OpenArena plays you!
kernel panic
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 04:51:48 AM »

I'm more or less sure that in oa082 fromhell won't suddenly throw banners into the official maps and won't start selling the ability to colour your nickname as a part of premium account for just 9.99 $/month.

SSSSSHHHHHH! Are you out of your freaking mind? Don't give ideas (specially this kind of ideas)!

But yeah, the cool thing about OA is that you can download it and use it how you please. It's great that we can have our micro communities where players gather together and set up servers, upload maps, create some models and maps or poke around with the sources. I tried QL and while it looks much better than OA I didn't like the restrictions. To start with, what if I want to play with the big boys? This is, why should I always have to play with the guys who score a similar number of frags? Maybe you can override this, I don't have a clue. Also, I don't like the idea of playing through the browser and being forced to download a huge package every second week to have a game (maybe things are more stable now). Basically, the whole 1984 kind of deal doesn't appeal to me. Oh, and having to install with administrative rights the bloody thing is idiotic. For the ones who try to run as much as possible under a regular user Windows account is a pain in the ass.

By the way, is it me or summer time has brought some more people to the normally empty servers?
davidd
Half-Nub

Cakes 6

[Z] server maintainer

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 11:02:05 PM »

- ability to plug in cpma and get all those features, that were included for years (actually it's a lie, I never run cpma with oa, but anyway)

shameless plug:
connect to lood.zvdk.nl on default port 27960 and play cpma.
Currently i have to of the official cpma bots playing at level 100 (that is the highest level)
they are way thouger than the nightmare bots of OA, timing megahealth and such
i can only beat level 83 myself on most maps.
it has all the cpma maps and a number of popular 1v1 maps.

10 minute timelimit, whoever makes most kills in 10 minutes wins.

Openarena, the freedom to contribute and extend.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 08:40:07 AM »

i can only beat level 83 myself on most maps.
it has all the cpma maps and a number of popular 1v1 maps.

Be stronger and never give up Cheesy
befno
Half-Nub

Cakes -6

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 06:22:12 PM »

Maybe this could take off if it was possible to download it completely thru let's say a browser plugin, which gets updated when you start your browser.  Kinda like those mozilla addons.  I dont know how fromhell stands on user accounts, but they could be useful for keeping track of players' score and such.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 07:14:30 PM »

Maybe this could take off if it was possible to download it completely thru let's say a browser plugin, which gets updated when you start your browser.  Kinda like those mozilla addons.  I dont know how fromhell stands on user accounts, but they could be useful for keeping track of players' score and such.

Centralized updates and stats = notification system + DB based solution = more overhead (lots of money + more powerfull servers).

QL stats are stored through Oracle 11g Enterprise Solution , so if u like QL , play QL and pay for colored nicks.
befno
Half-Nub

Cakes -6

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 09:11:19 PM »

Maybe this could take off if it was possible to download it completely thru let's say a browser plugin, which gets updated when you start your browser.  Kinda like those mozilla addons.  I dont know how fromhell stands on user accounts, but they could be useful for keeping track of players' score and such.

Centralized updates and stats = notification system + DB based solution = more overhead (lots of money + more powerfull servers).

QL stats are stored through Oracle 11g Enterprise Solution , so if u like QL , play QL and pay for colored nicks.

colored nicks are free, just so you know. Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: