Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to get more people playing OA  (Read 42525 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2007, 05:16:12 PM »

Sure!

It'd be best if done on the wiki

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »

I've never used a wiki before so I'm not all to sure what to do there. But first I'll get it done in OpenOffice and then move it over to the wiki.
baronofhell
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2007, 11:10:34 AM »

I guess it's time for me to start a Player model creation guide for Blender. I'm not good at explaining stuff I learned by trial and error, though, but enki knows how to create players too

That would be awesome!

I've been fiddling with Blender to make models for OA, I started off well but I've stagnated and need help.

I've been playing OA for a week now and found it through Wikipedia. Been a Quake fan, and I have to say "Great Work". I would like to help in whichever way possible.

BTW: my first post
white haired boy
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2007, 12:28:49 PM »

I guess it's time for me to start a Player model creation guide for Blender. I'm not good at explaining stuff I learned by trial and error, though, but enki knows how to create players too

that would be so useful!

i like the idea of it being done in the wiki. what's happening with the wiki nowadays? it doesn't seem to have a link on the homepage.

white haired boy
MilesTeg
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »

I try to keep the wiki up to date
it's a pretty good way to collect info and collaborate.

don't know why it's not linked on the official frontpage, though.

"We are all connected"
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2007, 02:20:32 PM »

Since the whole front page is mysql powered (from the text to everything) I don't really have the ability to edit it. Sorry.

I'd like to add a few 88x31 banner links in the footer too (like linuxgametome, ioquake3 and opengl for example)

diizy
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2007, 06:32:01 PM »

I will be also checking the Wiki's regularly and making sure that everything is correct on them. Once i get home I will also get some nice screencaps to use as a sort of promo material in the future. Looks like things are shapping up for the best :]

Clint, i would suggest openarena for the kids as it is free and fun, you have the ability to turn off blood and everything is relatively flexible, you could possible even make a customized "family ready" version with all of the things you want turned off. It must be nearly impossible to get the church to support such things! so good work on your part!
HanClinto
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2007, 03:27:59 PM »

Clint, i would suggest openarena for the kids as it is free and fun, you have the ability to turn off blood and everything is relatively flexible, you could possible even make a customized "family ready" version with all of the things you want turned off. It must be nearly impossible to get the church to support such things! so good work on your part!

Hey Diizy, thanks for the encouragement. Smiley I've found Jack Thompson-ish people to be in the definite minority among Christians that I know, but there is still a knee-jerk reaction towards many things like violent video games. I'm doing my best to help bridge the gap -- so far so good, but we'll see how it goes.

Regarding the customized "family ready" version of the game, I need to find out how to edit the default settings to do things like remove the taunts, increase the maximum allowed connections, and turn off the blood/gore, and then I'm all for it.

The LAN party went over pretty well this past weekend, with OpenArena being the star of the show. I'll be posting pictures shortly. Smiley
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2007, 03:58:17 PM »

it's default.cfg in pak0.pk3. It's the first file executed in the game (and all the settings from autoexec.cfg and q3config.cfg then apply)

Don't make an autoexec.cfg since that will override a user's own autoexec.cfg (and servers too)

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2007, 04:51:32 PM »

Hey Diizy, thanks for the encouragement. Smiley I've found Jack Thompson-ish people to be in the definite minority among Christians that I know, but there is still a knee-jerk reaction towards many things like violent video games. I'm doing my best to help bridge the gap -- so far so good, but we'll see how it goes.

Regarding the customized "family ready" version of the game, I need to find out how to edit the default settings to do things like remove the taunts, increase the maximum allowed connections, and turn off the blood/gore, and then I'm all for it.

Well to be fair, if it weren't for Jack Thompson a lot of people wouldn't know that there is going to be another GTA game.  He's good publicity, maybe we should offend him :p

Seriously though, rather than turning off the bot chats completely why not just edit the phrases you find offensive and have a family friendly version with non-offensive chats?

HanClinto
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2007, 05:40:47 PM »

Seriously though, rather than turning off the bot chats completely why not just edit the phrases you find offensive and have a family friendly version with non-offensive chats?

I'd actually prefer that option -- it's one of the things that I asked about earlier, but only got a reply regarding how to turn them off completely.

Just a side note on a minor point, it's not so much about the content being "offensive" -- I think that idea is over-used in today's "you can't offend me or I'll sue!!!11" society. Rather, what I'm talking about is just making the game's content more user-aware as far as who wants to play these games. I don't think that movies that deal with topics like homosexuality or mass-murder or suicide or the occult are intrinsically wrong in and of themselves, though I'm not going to recommend it for a slumber party of a bunch of gradeschool girls. That's all I meant by it -- just looking for a game that I can recommend for kids to have at their parties (like this last LAN party that I organized was for a 15 year old that wanted one for his birthday party).

Anyways, I'm still very interested in this project whatever direction it happens to go -- I've edited games in the past, and I can deal with editing them myself in the future. Smiley

Thanks!

Respectfully,
clint
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2007, 07:43:57 PM »

I think you misunderstood me, I wasn't suggesting that the bots be edited within the project because I would assume that people like them the way they are (At least I haven't heard any complaints about them going too far, and I should be the person to complain to about that).

What I was suggesting as you, no doubt, have a better sense of what people would find upsetting within the chats that you change what you don't like in the *_t.c, rnd.c, rchat.c, and teamplay.h (All are located in pak6 in the botfiles folder) and recreate pak6-misc.pk3 with your changed files.  Or create a list of what you don't like in the above mentioned files and I can provide you with some alternatives (My email is in the header of each of those files, just put a big OPEN ARENA BOTS in the subject line). 

Smiley

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2007, 07:49:13 PM »

in irc i was thinking a pak7-censored.pk3 would be better to not break any sv_pure checksums or so. It wouldn't get loaded on pure servers without it though.

So far the only objectionable things in OA is the occult references in kaos (pentagrams and crosses, which are also part of Quake3's gothic themes), sexuality (there's a couple busty models in Q3, and OA has such thing in the plans. also the gargoyle model once had a penis but that only remains in the source) and some expletives in the bot chats (q3 didn't really say "shit" though unless it was the announcer getting a close flag capture. OA uses "crap" for that)

Don't expect nudity in OA though, because not even the male models have nipples! Plus it'd hurt the publicity we've been getting from commercial sites like FilePlanet. heh.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 07:54:12 PM by leileilol » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2007, 08:30:47 PM »

That route would also work (Without ruining gameplay).  But would the people that choose to run the censored version visit the servers?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: