Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing weapon models with real-world weapons  (Read 26724 times)
G-Max
Nub

Cakes -4

« on: September 11, 2009, 11:11:07 AM »

Hey all. I think it would be cool if some of the weapon models were replaced with models based on real-world weaponry. For example, the machine gun model could be replaced with one based on the XM8 or Heckler & Koch G36, the shotgun model could be replaced with the Benelli M4 Super 90, grenade-launcher with the Milkor MGL, and of course, the railgun sniper rifle with a Barrett. The M82A1 is more recognizable, whereas the M99 behaves much more like the railgun, mostly in terms of reload time; however, the M99 would also require a reload animation, whereas the M82 would not.

I'm still trying to find a rocket launcher that is reloaded rather than discarded after use, but also isn't the Javelin (which behaves nothing like the game's rocket launcher).

I can has feedback?
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 12:31:59 PM »

Well, OA is not Counter-Strike and my experience with OA is that it does not follow a realistic path, as much as Quake 3 did not. Besides, realistic weapons would somewhat artistically clash with the rest of the game.

In defeat we learn.
Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 02:23:21 PM »

If you want a realistic game go play Urban Terror, Counter Strike, or True Combat. OA is fast-paced arcade deathmatch, not realistic tactical shooter.

G-Max
Nub

Cakes -4

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 04:49:09 PM »

Excuse me, but at what point did I say anything about realism? I'm not suggesting that the weapons behave realistically. I'm not saying "let's do recoil and looking-down-the-barrel and magazine-based reloading and everything else that's in Call of Duty 4". I'm just suggesting that a few of the models look like real weapons. I'm talking about a purely cosmetic change.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 11:23:07 PM »

Good luck finding a real life plasma gun.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
kick52

Cakes -1

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 11:04:33 AM »

Never going to happen, OpenArena is a Quake 3 clone free Quake 3-gameplay-based standalone, why would it have guns/models that aren't in it or don't look much like it?
G-Max
Nub

Cakes -4

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 08:40:17 PM »

At what point did words like "some" and "a few" become synonymous with "all"?

STOP STRAWMANNING!

Never going to happen, OpenArena is a Quake 3 clone free Quake 3-gameplay-based standalone, why would it have guns/models that aren't in it or don't look much like it?

That's a fascinating question to ask, considering that the guns in OpenArena look nothing like those in Quake III Arena.
Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 07:15:38 PM »

The weapons do look similar. Like kick52 said, OA is based on q3. The weapons don't look completely the same, but some are very similar like the chaingun, rocket launcher, and gauntlet (well, sort of).

G-Max
Nub

Cakes -4

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 12:37:43 AM »

Yeah, a double-barreled breech-loading shotgun looks TOTALLY like a single-barreled magazine-fed shotgun...

O WAIT.
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Picky :)

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 11:15:16 AM »

look at pics below.btw fire can also become plasma.
below you can see a plasma gun(mini tesla coil), a plasma lamp
and a big tesla coil, all producing plasma.
the lightning gun in open arena could also be called plasma gun
or tesla coil.and the BFG is also a plasma gun.
and if i remember correctly then there can also
be liquid plasma in real life.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 11:36:54 AM »

About the real-life plasma gun, Tazer was working on a device that would allow for remote transfer of electrical energy, but I think they did not yet find a way to make it microsize enough to be a portable device nor precise enough to only hit the target, but they have made an Area Denial System called Tazer Shockwave which nears the objective:

http://www.taser.com/products/law-enforcement/taser-shockwave-ecd

Also about realistic weapons, there's already a mod project that you could check (and maybe participate?): Project RDX:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-rdx
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Picky :)

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 11:43:45 AM »

yes i would when things would work

Someone_mad
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

Painted nails and long haired... I'm not a witch!

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »

Real life weapons are simply bad looking and significant of bad taste...
I'm quite sure someone made a mod for this already.
              ±END¤CONNEXION±

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: