Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: pul4ctf - my diamond is rage  (Read 49404 times)
hkn
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 09:48:11 AM »

good luck! Smiley
That look really awesome Wink

I tottaly agree

ToDo >> / 1. New map, Greyscale / 2. Mapmodels / 3. New weapons  / 4. In-game music
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 01:14:38 PM »

here's an overview of the latest version. as you can see the map is still just placed in a giant box and the floors are not adjusted to size. this is the first mirrored version and there are LOTS of things to fix - but i hope that i can put up a downloadable version tomorrow.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 07:19:38 PM »

ok, here's a first pk3-package. it's quite big (12mb) since it uses almost only targas.
as you'll find out there are lots of things to improve and while i'm aware of much of the oddities i hope you'll find even more.

this map is quite big - much larger than i first had in mind - playing with bots i would say that four players on each team is too little.

anyway - i hope the pk3-file is complete and should work.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 02:12:17 AM »

Oh man, I think I'll test that soon Smiley

Todo: Walk the cat.
hkn
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 02:27:00 AM »

ok, here's a first pk3-package. it's quite big (12mb) since it uses almost only targas.
as you'll find out there are lots of things to improve and while i'm aware of much of the oddities i hope you'll find even more.

this map is quite big - much larger than i first had in mind - playing with bots i would say that four players on each team is too little.

anyway - i hope the pk3-file is complete and should work.

Quite impressive, possibly the more good-looking OA map. Well detailed (the metalplate texture is so good).

The gameplay as you said, the map is so big, but it is ok for me, i like the "wide arenas".

ToDo >> / 1. New map, Greyscale / 2. Mapmodels / 3. New weapons  / 4. In-game music
Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 04:53:45 AM »

Oh my Moixie !!
The map is awesome, good looking, amazing gameplay with bots

I ve just 2 apprehension, is the map too big and will the quad ruin the map? (I ve a personal problem with the quad..)
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 06:49:23 AM »

The gameplay as you said, the map is so big, but it is ok for me, i like the "wide arenas".

I ve just 2 apprehension, is the map too big and will the quad ruin the map? (I ve a personal problem with the quad..)

yes, the map is very large - and i'm not that happy about a couple of the rooms. if i can find a good way to make it a bit smaller i will try that. but i'm not sure that it is possible without remaking a very large amount of it - and then it might be better to leave it as it is.

i think it can be fun to try the quad. i've seen some quake live matches on siberia and the quad can really be fun and add to the tactial part. it has a respawn of 2 minutes so it will be interesting to see what happens when played with real players.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 09:55:41 AM »

5v5 Graion and bots. Story from the maze. Cheesy

After 30 seconds, I met another player - it was enemy, died.
After a minute, I realized I shouldn't be the team leader, if I can't find anything on the map.
After two minutes, I found the flagroom.
After 4 minutes, I started doing my own waypoint-system in my mind. Respawns made it corrupted a bit.
After 15 minutes, I knew where should I go, and where is it, and where am I.
After 19 minutes, my team won.

I like this map. Cheesy A nail'd do a favour but it's great ATM.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »

Played with the map for about half an hour, looks good and plays nice. Bit hard to figure out at first due to it's size, but not a problem. Playing 5vs5 is about a minimum to not make it look desolate. It may be big but I like it this way. Nice work.

In defeat we learn.
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 12:56:38 PM »

I played with it a bit and liked it.  I find some CTF maps are too small, and it's nice to have big ones where it's easier to get lost between the flags.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 06:51:01 AM »

I temporarily added it to this server. (ROFL Yo quiero follar)
I'd like to make a call for testing it with real players, so I'll try to see on IRC and here and there if I can gather some people this evening Wink around 20:00-21:00... CEST ? (damn I'll never understand a thing about these timezones).
Goal would be to provide a few feedbacks ... I quickly tested it single player but currently have none valuable in mind.

On a side note, I'm still circumspect about how things which are "inspired by" (which translates to "from scratch, make it look like") are dealt in terms of intellectual property laws, while I think there is no serious reason to worry.

So, let's hopefully meet and play this evening Smiley
Monday 18th, ~20:00.

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 07:01:45 AM »

sounds good caca! i'll definitely try to be there.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 12:46:34 PM »

we're not many, but we're in right now :p

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 02:06:23 PM »

Played a bit on that server...
nice map, but a real maze!!!
It's not easy!

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 02:38:33 PM »

Once you know the layout it's pure fun! Unfortunately we couldn't test it with 4vs4, but I think you should keep the size. Or if you want to change it, please keep the bases and the rooms around them as they are, they're awesome!

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2010, 02:55:46 PM »

Playing on the ROFL Yo quiero follar makes even a better impression on me (despite some "technical" difficulties on my end). It's really a fun map. I agree with Udi, you should keep the size.

In defeat we learn.
St0n3*r
Half-Nub

Cakes 6

Welcome in the ★revolution world :P

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2010, 03:05:38 PM »

Really nice map!
And that would become a really skilled one in some days  Tongue
Huge, tactical, awesome, full of nice items, fast, great!!!

N1!  Wink

Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 04:13:13 PM »

Hi,
just played few more minutes on the map. Followed a bot that got my flag and realized flagroom to flagroom is only 10 sec away!! A revelation after spending, yeah, some 20 minutes trying to figure out the map. Seems there are 4 main ways from one flagroom to another and many ways to switch between them which is great.
The map has corridors but they are well sized and feel 'spacious' to run through. Textures are just fine - no need to change.
The map is big, but I see that as a good thing and think after an hour or two of playing everybody will feel at home in it.
Hope we can play it 5vs5 soon as I'm sure it is going to be loads of fun!
Really good work!
Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2010, 09:58:54 AM »

I wasn't there and I just posted to give an idea,
what about doing it everytime there s a new map?
I mean, testing a beta version of a map in a server with some players around for 1 or 2 hours, it would help to target problems and to, by the way, improve the map. (endless parts with bots have bored me so much...)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2010, 10:37:40 AM »

Followed a bot that got my flag and realized flagroom to flagroom is only 10 sec away!! A revelation

Right!

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2010, 10:39:06 AM »

i'd like to thank all of you who showed up and played - it was fun when we actually found each other! Cheesy

i now have some valuable feedback to work with and i'm certain it will make the map better. a good test all in all.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2010, 10:43:37 AM »

You're right moixie, I'll try to repeat these kind of small events in the future, but I'd also add some maps require testing more than others, this one is particularly big and would need many players. Considering the effort pulchr made to make it, it's also normal to try to provide more feedbacks.
For some time I've been administrating a Beta Maps server, but it was too much efforts to maintain.

If pulchr releases a new Beta I'd suggest to test it again, this time calling for more players in advance. We didn't play-test it thoroughly yet.

It was fun to play, a bit exhausting because I don't like to strafe and run all the time, maybe I should improve my running/move skill.
We mostly played 3vs3, and yeah it wasn't enough. I played without trying to understand the map layout, but after a quick test today I quickly realized a few more things Cheesy

I noticed a detail which may have confused my orientation yesterday while playing Cheesy. When you're in base, right side, and try to join the enemy camp, you can follow wall colors, and seek after the white lines. Though at some point you can lose the track because of it. I took a few screenshots to show the path:

http://download.tuxfamily.org/openarena/files/screenshots/m/shot0000.jpg - you start from there
http://download.tuxfamily.org/openarena/files/screenshots/m/shot0001.jpg - some white line, great Cheesy
http://download.tuxfamily.org/openarena/files/screenshots/m/shot0002.jpg - then you follow it, turn left, and it's back to blue ... doh !
http://download.tuxfamily.org/openarena/files/screenshots/m/shot0003.jpg - I should have taken that path, but I see blue there !

Edit: ..hmm ... it's not that tricky because you can always come back to the grey area ... so right now I wonder why I posted these screenshots. There are a few hints which, depending from which side you watch them, can trick or guide you ...
But most of the time when in base, I was wondering how to get out of it ! Smiley

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2010, 10:56:18 AM »

I did not test an important thing yet... does this map support the additional gametypes?
One flag CTF, Overload, Harvester, Domination, Double Domination?

If not, it should...

pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2010, 11:10:36 AM »

I did not test an important thing yet... does this map support the additional gametypes?
One flag CTF, Overload, Harvester, Domination, Double Domination?

If not, it should...

nothing apart from standard ctf is supported atm.

caca: seeing it like that it's the wall colour in the little room to the left in picture 01 that should be blue. but if you come from the RA room you want to see that wall as white to give a hint of the direction to the central room. so it's not really a good solution depending on where you come from.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2010, 11:25:20 AM »

nothing apart from standard ctf is supported atm.
The placements of the ffa-spawnpoints makes it good for DD too. The map should contain a white flag. Even in normal CTF the bots uses the whiteflag to plan an alternative route.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: