Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Playing Quake 3 maps  (Read 13700 times)
zugu
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« on: January 12, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »

Hello and congratulations for the amazing work on OpenArena.

I recently purchased a copy of Quake III. I would like to know how to import Quake III maps into OpenArena. Is it possible?

Thanks.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 12:13:34 PM »

It would be possible, technically.

However due to licensing laws and political matters no.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 02:01:52 PM »

you can take the q3 maps + aas files out of iD's pak0 create a new pk3 that includes them and drop it into baseoa if you want to play those maps in OA, we just can't distribute them.

(They'll be missing a lot of textures, however)

You won't be able to use their bots, however, as I broke compatibility.  (Ours are a little smarter for it)

Azrael
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 12:01:47 AM »

okay, heres a question pertaining to this thread.  Openarena is awesome, I will give it that, but if you own Quake 3...don't you think Quake 3 may just be the *better* game?  I'm just wondering...I love both.

"Suffer not the enemy to live - for only in death does duty end."
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 11:42:37 AM »

care to give constructive criticism so the project may improve?

Azrael
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 12:05:30 PM »

I dunno, just quake 3 has more options, I guess.  But hey, Openarena is free!  Extra bonus points for that.  Also, I like playing with the openarena community better. 

"Suffer not the enemy to live - for only in death does duty end."
Jeric Hikari
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Skeletal Geek

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 01:14:41 PM »

Thre is also the fact that OpenArena is not yet finished so given enough time it will be able to match Quake3 in terms of options. After all thats why the project was started, to make an open scource quake so all the purdy mods and such have a home that's freely avalible and freley distributable.
Lockgar
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 01:02:15 AM »

How i see it, quake 3 will always be quake 3, but I have long uninstall the game and see little reason to reinstall it. Especially with quake 4 out. Open arena is newer, and free, and incomplete (meaning it can only get better), "to tell you the truth i think open arena has more options to its seven year old parent".

In truth though, you shouldn't compare the 2.

I personally played will play open arena over quake 3 because i do not feel like digging through my pile of old video games.

Playing maps should be as easy as moving them over to your open arena folder "in a pk3 file", and since you own the game, it wouldn't be illegal to do so, however, it would be to play over the internet "I'm not sure, but I do recall that from memory somewhere".

The textures and sounds that are missing can also be solved the same way, you just have to know where they are. Which should not be that big of an issue.... i think. I know it worked for jedi outcast to jedi academy Smiley.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: