Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: new map for oa!  (Read 86310 times)
seven
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« on: September 23, 2010, 08:17:01 PM »

New map for oa.
It's a test version only.
Map don't has a bots and work only in CTF mode.
Not tested in linux.
delete old file of tbs and tunel  Huh it's important

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/27463782/tbs12.pk3
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:21:05 PM by seven » Logged
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 04:28:25 AM »

-_-
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 11:50:02 AM by dbX » Logged

In defeat we learn.
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 06:21:57 PM »

I like the idea, and think it has a lot of potential.  I doubt I could put together something this good.

First thought: I expected to see a lower path underneath the main tunnel to get between the two bases.  It would help make it harder to cover the entrances to the base.

I like the boxes that allow shooting between them at opponents.

I'd like to see a wider variety of terrain in the upper area, it feels like a death zone free-for-all.  The only cover in the main area is the ramps and boxes in the tunnel, which limits the strategies for offense/defense.

There are no weapons in the bases, which could make defending very hard.  You have to leave the base to get a strong weapon.  Someone perched on the rail overhang could hold down defenders while team-mates play capture tag.

I really like the attention to detail in the lights, boxes, etc.  The tunnel itself is very nice.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Someone_mad
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

Painted nails and long haired... I'm not a witch!

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 06:51:23 PM »

I really like the attention to detail in the lights, boxes, etc.  The tunnel itself is very nice.

• Yeah, but the green flash ramps are not really good with all the map...
  • I've noticed that bots are not loading in the map, there's no bots at all!

Why there's no lot of variety of maps on multiplayer games? I would like to play on new maps with real players... Sad
That's probably why there is only the same players all time...
Since three months I haven't see some players... Do they left the game?!

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 02:44:54 AM »

Nice map.
I suggest to add something to distinguish the two bases when the flags aren't there...
Maybe those green ramps seem to clash with the overall style. Maybe, if they could seem rails for mine carts, it would be better....
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:11:17 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 09:41:39 AM »

[...]

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 09:59:09 AM »

From the screenshot so far i see you really need to be consistent with texture scale. The typical OA texture scale is 0.125

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 11:48:14 AM »

Nice map.
I suggest to add something to distinguish the two bases when the flags aren't there...
Maybe those green ramps seem to clash with the overall style. Maybe, if they could seem rails for mine carts, it would be better....
Another thing, after having tried the third beta version... I suggest to remove or to modify the new railgun platforms at the extremities of the map: even if the teleport "pushes" you down from the platform, you can avoid this simply pressing the "back" button, obtaining a good sniper position (happy campers?). Not so much camping heaven as ctf4ish is, but I fear it may change the gamplay in favour of campers anyway. Maybe the railgun may be over a small pole (without platform), and the "push" of the teleport may be more powerful, preventing you from camping over the pole. Or the railgun may simply be floating in the air. Or it may be substituted by another weapon, for example the nailgun.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Someone_mad
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

Painted nails and long haired... I'm not a witch!

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 01:52:23 PM »

[...]

Yeah, maybe it's an explication of this but I don't understand why bots would not load in it...
I don't want to bored you. I wanna try bots in it.

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 02:13:20 PM »

Bots need a file including their ways (aas).
He didnĀ“t made this file.
MyLittlePwny
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 02:39:11 AM »

Yeah, I'd definitely reskin the big yellow ramps. Maybe like an I-beam or girder or similar? (Or like tracks like someone else suggested above...)

Also, I'd switch around the ramps (and the side of the railgun ledge) on the blue end of the map, so that they're the same layout whichever team you spawn on. I guess you'd call that diagonally symmetrical? Might make it more interesting getting from one side to the other over the top area, too.
seven
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 03:21:23 AM »

Grin
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 04:04:49 AM by seven » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 04:06:33 AM »

Probably Fromhell is right, some textures seem too "zoomed".... And remember that, if something does not meet Fromhell's quality standards/taste, it will not be included in the next OpenArena releases...

Please, do not offend youself, but in my opinion, Beta 4 isn't so good as the previous. The new railgun platforms have been enlarged and made higher: the map will be hostage of railgun campers, that now are more difficult to kill from below. More, from up there the fact that the map is suspended in nothing (like all the maps) is really too much evident... not so good at look.
Another thing about the visual look: the powerline pylons suddently end in nothing... is it possible to draw some powerline cables that go down to the ground and/or add more pylons externally?

I liked more the Beta 1 (maybe plus the teleport that brings you out of the cave)... i suggest to "keep it simple"...

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:46:26 AM by Gig » Logged

Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 09:12:03 AM »

[...]

Yeah, maybe it's an explication of this but I don't understand why bots would not load in it...

Bots support requires the .aas file to be in the same pk3 file that contains the map under the ./map subdir included the pk3. ( pk3 files are fundamentally zip archives )

AAS stands for Area Awareness System and it's the system used by the IDtech3 bots system to let bots "having knowledge" of how a map is . Without the .aas file , simply bots system doesn't have any knowledge of the map and bots don't load.

The aas file needs to be generated at map compiling time , so if the author of the map doesn't provide it , there's nothing you can do to have bots loading unless you use another bot system. It seems to me to remember that CPMA bots don't use AAS .
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 09:59:14 AM »

Falkland is a bit wrong, you can use the DIY method; DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Bot_play]to compile the AAS yourself.

I usually did this with every map I don't have an aas, and while not every of them was successful, mostly they were (Some maps from the Var-Valerio mappack are faulty even with forcesidesvisible).

BTM: I didn't have time to give it a try, but I will.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 10:23:29 AM »

I've tried it, but I get a MAX_MAPFILE_PLANES error Sad. Maybe you'll have more luck.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
seven
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 10:30:54 AM »

I've tried it, but I get a MAX_MAPFILE_PLANES error Sad. Maybe you'll have more luck.

Ase objects - bots not avible Sad
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 10:35:42 AM »

No, Udi, it happened here that, too.

Seems like the BSP is too complicated for BSPC.

I find a similar experience over Q3World, where it was fixed, but the workaround is overcomplicated and needs the original map-file using the fixaas option and having two versions.

Actually, this is what islanddm needs as well to have an AAS.

EDIT: I still didn't play a second on the map.... now I should...

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 10:46:24 AM »

The source for bspc can be found in the original quake 3 source code. In there you can change the limits, that is how the island maps got bot support. It does increase the risk of a crash slightly though. And the aas file might be so big that the bot cannot do its path-finding work... but at least they load and run around and shoot.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 05:27:12 AM »

Might be. I found that line in qbsp.h... but hell, I can't compile it nor with my uni's '91 BorlandC, nor VC++2008, nor MinGW/MSYS...

What compiler should I use for it?  Huh Linux is not an option.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 09:05:17 AM »

Possible MSVS6. I believe that is the compiler that are most successful compiler for Quake 3 stuff.

I has problems to because it cannot compile in 64 bit Linux either. I had to use another machine to compile a 32 bit version.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 11:09:09 AM »

Beta 5 tried.
Not bad.  Smiley The new texture for the ramp is a good thing. Also making the big camping plarforms unreachable (thus, they are only graphic stuff, now...) is a nice choice (however, for visual look, also the old big monolites were good).

But I don't understand why the small platform are still there, without noting over them. Maybe you could make something to reach them (a jump-pad, or a teleport like in a previous version), but without putting a railgun there (one may take the railgun from the other place, then go to the platform and fire, but when he runs out of ammo he will need to go down and stop camping).

Again, I suggest to place something colored (red and blue) to distinguish the two bases when the flags aren't there...

And why did you remove the powerline pylons? They were nice...

Bye!  Smiley

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 11:16:23 AM »

I thought the placement of the rail was excellent because one had to jump down on the platform and was therefore very vulnerable from above. That obviously requires some spawnpoints above or spawn camping is too easy.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 12:29:26 PM »

I thought the placement of the rail was excellent because one had to jump down on the platform and was therefore very vulnerable from above. That obviously requires some spawnpoints above or spawn camping is too easy.
Are you talking about the railgun over the big protruding rock? It is still there, isn't it?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 11:12:34 AM »

Seven, no new beta to try, yet?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: