Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Engoo  (Read 83037 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 05:25:19 AM »

Wow, that's veeery interesting!  Smiley Nice work, FH!

Hoping to see that in OA.  Smiley

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
CGB01
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 08:46:49 AM »

Neat, hope to see that soon on OA!  Now that the code is done, it should be a breeze to port it over Wink
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 06:59:21 AM »

not really.....

1. this is a software renderer
2. it's not even GL

Maybe it's possible to bring this renderer to OA if every polygon idTech3 outputs gets brute forced into the quake polygon drawing spans or something (including the text).......

I also have reflections
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 07:05:08 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 09:04:34 AM »

What about trying to pass such stuff to Hitchhiker (author of OA GLSL support), asking him if he's capable of making OA GLSL shaders that way?

OA 0.8.8 DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#GLSL_effects]added support for GLSL effects, but I have no idea if some arena actually uses such shaders. I think at that time Hichhiker posted an image or a video showing GLSL-powered water (much better that Q3 classic water!), but I don't know if that has been really used somewhere...

I suppose it may be time to start using some of such effects (maybe even put them in some OACMP maps?).
I wanna "poke" Hitchhiker, to ask him if he can write down a sort of guide about how to create/use GLSL shaders...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »

Hi,
poke worked.. I'll try to prepare a short tutorial on how to make glsl shaders and eventually will be available for questions and assistance to whoever tries to make or implement them - as much as I can.
The glsl support was not really done by me so my support might prove limited in some cases.

how similar are Engoo and Quake3 in regards to renderer structure? If they work in a similar way maybe this water reflections/refractions can be 'ported' - it looks way better than the water shader I did. Making a glsl shader for water is not that difficult (plenty of source on the net). But as far I know they all need the image 'after' the water surface in order to render refraction and an image 'above' the water in order to render reflection. Raytracing is not possible as Opengl does not have geometry database. So it can only be done by drawing polygons and these two images (that would be textured on a polygon of water surface) would need to be obtained before the water shader is drawn and I have no idea how to do this.

for the moment I will help with a tutorial. there are still few effects that can help improve visual appeal of the game with what is in place already.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 02:44:43 PM »

The process for reflections in Engoo is much similar to modern reflections (rendering a scene a second time into a reflect buffer), except instead of a normal map to distort the reflection and refraction it's just using s and t turbulent spans (it's a span-based driver not polygons, so this code can't be "ported" to oa)

Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 02:52:34 PM »

but how complicated it is to render the scene in the reflect buffer? can you tell if this could be implemented in OA?
If so, the glsl part is not all that difficult to do once the texture is ready.
CGB01
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 07:13:15 AM »

I've played around this morning with the "Mirror" function and got some interesting effects which seems like what Fromhell is doing in Engoo.  Basically it's playing with shaders.

If you take a look at the shader Mirror2 in the common group, you can add the following two lines to it to make it non-solid and have no fire marks on it;

surfaceparam noimpact
surfaceparam nonsolid

You'll have to add a misc_portal_surface right in front of the water surface (within 64 units) for the refection to work.

With this simple mod to the Mirror2 shader, I was able to see the reflection of gun shot fire to the ceiling, I can shoot at the water and see the gun shot marks on the bottom of the pool and if I walk close enough to the edge of the water and look down, I can see myself.

Now the ripple effect if really not that good, but with a little playing around with the shader, I'm sure you can achieve the same effect.
Hitchhiker

Cakes 11

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 11:55:46 AM »

hi CGB01,

portals are in fact drawn before the scene and this might work. just would need to find a way of capturing the image and re-draw it with the distortion - then maybe re-capture the image of the scene just before the water (being transparent and thus drawn last) and use that as a cube map. i dont expect to have much time before the winter to look into this but who knows..
And we're also hijacking this thread.. sry fromhell Smiley
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 10:16:09 AM »

You all know how much I love flares. I didn't forget to have those either

This engine is beginning to look like UnrealEngine1 in many ways, it already has the feel of it with the new weapon bobbing etc. It's possible to make a whole new game with a fresh, unquakey feel to it.

ZedSlayer
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »

More cool engines to make new games is always great.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »

Here's a very buggy Windows only beta release.

Also the code tree is right here incase anyone wants to take a whack at it, getting it going in SDL on linux or something

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 12:04:08 PM »

.....nothing to say?

I am done.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 02:49:59 AM »

Is that the engine only, to be installed into an existing Quake1 installation?
I hope to still have a copy of it somewhere...

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2013, 03:18:58 AM »

Is that the engine only, to be installed into an existing Quake1 installation?
Yes.

You can also copy the 'id1' folder from Quake into the folder where engoo is unpacked.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2013, 12:39:04 PM »

I don't really care anymore.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 08:14:48 AM »

Maybe I do care a little. Here's a video.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 08:22:28 AM »

Not bad, really!  Smiley

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »

I don't believe the projects are pointless. The most vocal part of "the community" (in this case, the FOSSers at other forums) might make you believe one thing, but they aren't the majority.

For a Win-only, non-GL port of a very old game, it looks pretty awesome. Sadly, there's nowhere where I can help even with criticism, as coding isn't my forte, yet. Sad

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2013, 03:45:15 PM »

Finally reinstalled VC6 and SVN. Here's a build of revision 270!

I've learned a lot of stuff doing Engoo since it served mostly as a good scratchpad for things I want to implement in OA. I'd love to replicate my blood effects from this over into OA engineside somehow....  (and not cgame since local entities will hit their limit and be expensive through the qvm)

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2013, 01:05:25 AM »

Nice to hear that, although I will not be able to test it in these days...

What about restoring the name of this forum section (that at the moment is named "pointless")?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2013, 06:54:41 AM »

Nice to hear that, although I will not be able to test it in these days...

What about restoring the name of this forum section (that at the moment is named "pointless")?
I agree. For this alone...

I've learned a lot of stuff doing Engoo since it served mostly as a good scratchpad for things I want to implement in OA.
...I, at the very least, don't consider Engoo pointless.

If only there was support for Linux, though. :/

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2013, 10:00:46 PM »

If only there was support for Linux, though. :/
It compiles and runs on Linux with a little bit of persuasion, but that is with the X11 video code (not SDL).
ZedSlayer
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2013, 08:02:33 PM »

While I have not the knowledge or experience to give any criticisms on this project, as a quake fan this source port has become a favorite due to the numerous little settings you've added that I've been playing around with to mix things up.

Also, the amount of little features you've added to a software based engine is amazing, I hope to see this go further forward.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »

burn

if only OA had renderer-based particles... if only!!!

all these graphical improvements and the sound loop bug still isn't fixed...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:05:45 PM by fromhell » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: