Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Optional "mid-air damage only" mode  (Read 7670 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« on: February 27, 2018, 01:48:29 AM »

Hello, on the Discord server an user asked if there is some mod with a "people can fly" mode (which is even the name of a game design studio), a mode where you can only hurt people by hitting them mid-air.
Unfortunately I don't know a Q3/OA mod with a such feature (if you know one, feel free to say... there are many mods I don't know well!)

As Fromhell hinted that theoretically it should be easy enough to implement, I thought to open this thread to keep a trace of this idea, without having it lost in the history of Discord.
However I don't think I may be very good in a such mode. punched
Maybe one may activate the option with DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Dmflags]DMFLAGS, instead of using a dedicated CVAR... (just a thought)

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Mapsking
Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 08:32:07 PM »

Several games (like Alien Arena and Xonotic) have a jetpack modifier, would something like that be hard to implement in OA?  Seems like it would be well-suited for this purpose.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 02:11:47 AM »

I do remember the Bazooka Q3 mod had a "jetpack match" mode.. but:
- I'm not sure, but probably its source code isn't GPL.
- I have the feeling jetpacks may be more appropriate for mods than baseoa, as they really change gameplay a lot...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Mapsking
Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 02:21:29 AM »

What about making another modifier or mutator to change the gravity for a game mode like this?  Just a thought.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 02:31:15 AM »

What about making another modifier or mutator to change the gravity for a game mode like this?  Just a thought.
It is already possible to change the gravity, by setting g_gravity or g_gravitymodifier.
The first one just overrides the map gravity set by map author (default 800). It exists since Q3A and thus works in most mods, but has the drawback of being reset to map setting at each map change or simply restart.
The second one is a multiplier, which takes g_gravity and multiplies it by the factor specified in g_gravitymodifier (e.g. set it to 0.8 and gravity will be 20% less - as you can guess, default is 1.0). It is not supported by gamecode older than OA 0.8.8, but the good thing is that it is not automatically reset on map change or restart.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 02:50:57 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: