Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Discord server  (Read 24791 times)
MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« on: October 03, 2016, 09:49:13 AM »

Hello!

We've set up a Discord server for the OpenArena community. Use this link to join it https://discord.gg/n3dTmzM (this is not a referral link or anything of the sort).

So what is Discord and why should you use it?
Discord is a software that combines the functionality of a text chat (think IRC) and voice communication (Skype, TeamSpeak, Mumble).
The interface is simple and it's very easy to use. It works both in a web browser and as a standalone application for all major platforms (Linux/Windows/Mac/Android/iOS). Registration is not necessary. Unlike IRC you don't need to be constantly online or set up a bot to read everything that was said in your absence. Voice part is completely optional so shy people need not to worry.

This server was set up to strengthen ties within the community, help people gather for games and let them have easy access to voice comms.
In the future pickup games are a possibility too.

The server is currently unofficial however we would be more than glad to transfer ownership to people from OpenArena development team.

Lastly, there are privacy concerns. Discord is proprietary software, all infrastructure is owned by Discord, all your communication is effectively owned by them, there's no option for encryption.
That said, in terms of privacy it's still much better than Skype and considering the convenience Discord offers over other options we decided it's the way to go.

Please don't hesitate and give it a try. Hope to see you on the server soon.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:44:56 AM by MIOW » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 10:58:15 AM »

Just given a quick try... seems interesting...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 04:44:34 AM »

I did a couple of small changes to the wiki, adding the link to the Discord server:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Main_Page&diff=17654&oldid=17589
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=FAQ&diff=17655&oldid=17234

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 11:54:25 AM »

Thanks, Gig! This is much appreciated.
MIOW
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

I play to win.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »

DILZNIK
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 08:06:59 AM »

Very interesting MIOW.. something we should use for sure.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 07:16:55 PM »

I post OA3 wip screens on #oa3 there if anyone's curious (or potentially wants to contribute)

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 01:53:44 AM »

Fromhell, knowing you have a bad relationship with IRC, I thought I would not have seen you in any instant messaging service... Nice!

However, I think I have not understood about Discord. How's the chat history works? I see that it shows "posts" from some days ago... how long are they kept?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 02:17:03 AM »

If someone wants a more easy invite link, there is http://discord.me/openarena
However, the invite link is necessary only the first time, then you can just go to http://discordapp.com and launch Discord from there.

I invite those who haven't tried it yet, to try it.

PS: the server isn't "unofficial" anymore, as Fromhell/Lei lei has got ownership priviledges on it. However, she doesn't like to consider "official" something which is running on third-party managed software and hardware, so we can just say it's "OpenArena Discord Server", without specifying "official" or "unofficial".  Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 11:47:47 AM »

Just joined today. I hope not to be much of an annoyance, lol.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: