Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Recap improvements needed in the Wiki site - Where?  (Read 261006 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2012, 11:48:08 PM »

The only way I can get to a native 30fps is to use a Pentium II.
I've set com_maxfps to 30 to do tests in these days. This way, CPU utilization goes down to something like 30%... If I set it to 90 or more, it uses 100%. Machine is an AthlonXP 2600+ with a Radeon X1600.

PS: What's your opinion about sutoswitch and weaponbar?

PPS: About the "busywait" thing... I've found this previous thread mentioning it... and then I've done a very quick test (using another machine):
As Grosbedo guessed in this post, it seems it affects only the case where the system reaches the com_maxfps value. In that case, enabling or disabling com_busywait changes a lot the CPU utilization (in the system I have now, it is better when not used, as default). I will check also @home, anyway I guess it's already set to 0, otherwise my "lower com_maxpfs" trick may have been less effective to save CPU utilization...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:22:30 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2012, 02:12:17 AM »

Considering the above posts, I've created a section about com_busywait in the wiki:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Com_busywait
Please take a look to it and fix it if necessary. I used the very few infos I found around com_busywait, plus the quick test I did above, plus what grey matter said few posts ago.
So, I only ''guessed'' that com_busywait 0 may give some little problem in framerate-dependent physics (because grey matter said it may cause the frame rate be a little less constant)... I have no proofs or reports about that (except maybe this one).
I also mentioned it may affect jumps here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Game_physics#Frame_rate_dependent_physics
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:36:12 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2012, 12:46:01 PM »

Seems fine to me (abusing this thread instead of the wiki's talk page now Tongue ).

com_busyWait switches between the two waiting methods you've described. A busy waiting loop (which should burn 100% CPU just for waiting but will hit the exact right time for the next frame) or a select() call with a timeout (which might be just a little unprecise, but does not burn CPU cycles while waiting).
If your CPU is too slow to reach your com_maxFPS setting then there's no time left until is has to run the next frame and it'll be at 100% utilization anyways, so there are no possible savings from using select().
The granularity of the select() timeout can be too low on some systems, which causes the framerate to have more jitter, since waiting intervals become too long.
The above is exactly what the ioquake3 README says about com_busyWait, and there's not really more to it Smiley

OA devs might be interested in mitsu's optimized iourt client, which had some improvements for this issue. On the other hand, the improvements on the "fps independant physics" side are going well, so it's not really needed.

This space is for rent.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #128 on: September 18, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »

Considering that having a constant framerate is however advisable with any game physics, do you think I should say "especially for framerate dependent physics", to do not completely leave the other kinds out?

Ps: I suppose talking here has got more visibility than a talk page of our wiki...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2012, 03:36:41 AM »

For your information, I added infos about "damage modifier" (new 0.8.8 feature) in the wiki.
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Special_game_options#Damage_modifier

PS: what about the things discussed in the previous posts? Sago? Fromhell? Others?
(weaponbar, autoswitch, etc.)

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2013, 01:48:14 PM »

I've been reading this article, and I think this needs to be applied to the Wiki:
http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newCS_85.htm

It's about the 7 C's of Communication: information should be Clear, Concise, Concrete, Correct, Coherent, Complete and Courteous. At least the first 5 should be respected for every article. I've tried my hand at this with the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Player_settings]Player Settings page.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2013, 01:39:33 AM »

Neon, about screenshots, I see DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/File:Oa088-statistics-weapons.jpg]here you used PD. But, IIRC, screenshot of a software should follow that software license, so it should probably be licensed as GPLv2, too.

About DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Manual%2FPlayer_settings&diff=13364&oldid=12912]this edit, I fell you missed one of the "C"s... the "Complete" one. I'm cosidering to revert that edit.
What about writing some of the completely DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Wikiworks]missing pages, instead?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:16:24 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2013, 05:36:10 AM »

About the Screenshots, I've forgot to change that, sorry.

About the edit, I had the feeling that the articles sacrificed everything else for completeness. That was a HUGE wall of text, with a lot of trivial bits getting in the way of how a Manual article should be. Remember that you're writing for an audience, hence, walls of text tend to deviate people's attention to something else.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:44:01 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2013, 05:49:39 AM »

What if one would have moved some "extra" infos that page contained to "ref" notes, instead? That would have made the main text lighter, while keeping more infos for who wants them.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2013, 06:18:00 AM »

That's another alternative, yes.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2013, 07:29:12 AM »

I think I will make a try to do a such "try" to that page, when I have some time.  Smiley

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2013, 08:04:46 AM »

Good idea Neon_Knight, but I feel that this completeness should also not be lost. The OpenArena wiki is currently the most complete source of information about OpenArena and ioquake3 engine, and I think this should not be lost. Maybe a link to an extra page with "advanced" information about each subject may be provided, as Gig suggested.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2013, 04:27:19 AM »

Maybe a link to an extra page with "advanced" information about each subject may be provided, as Gig suggested.
To be precise, I suggested "ref" notes (foot notes1)... anyway maybe in some pages an "advanced" section or sub-page may be applicable. Maybe we may discuss each case before applying big changes.

---Notes---
1That look like this. I want to try applying this to that "Manual/Player settings" page when I have some time.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:45:55 AM by Gig » Logged

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2013, 12:58:49 PM »

To be precise, I suggested "ref" notes (foot notes1)... anyway maybe in some pages an "advanced" section or sub-page may be applicable. Maybe we may discuss each case before applying big changes.

Heavy use of notes can also make a text less readable. The reader should not need to be informed that there are more to a given topic because of course there are. A manual have a limited scope compared to technical documentation.

I would prefer a "further reading" in the bottom with relevant references. That way the user can select the topic they have interest in without being annoyed by a subject that have absolutely no relevance to the user in question.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2013, 12:02:43 PM »

Well, it took me some time, but I applied the "foot notes" try to that page.
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Player_settings
What do you think? I think it may work. It was I try I wanted... to try.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2013, 06:17:50 AM »

Update:
ESC/ESCAPE menu is now part of the manual:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/ESC_menu   Smiley Smiley Smiley

Just a question: how to bind it to a different key?
I've found the existing key binding ESCAPE = togglemenu.... but if I try "bind r togglemenu", when I later press "r", I get "Unknown command togglemenu".  Huh Huh Huh

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2013, 07:42:32 AM »

Hi! I've added some infos about the cross-platform nature of the game in the main page of the wiki. Are they ok?
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Main_Page&diff=13569&oldid=13506

PS: Does someone have some infos about the ESC menu binding? See post above this one.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2013, 07:30:12 AM »

Another thing. I noticed a problem ("connection interrupted") with sv_fps 20 (default value) and com_maxfps > 500 (if the hardware is powerful enough).
So, I did DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Manual%2FGraphic_options&diff=13580&oldid=13536]this update in the wiki. Is this ok? Grosbedo, what do you think? Anyone else?

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2013, 10:50:59 AM »

I believe it is hardcoded in the engine.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2013, 11:22:11 AM »

D'oh!  Undecided

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2013, 01:44:41 AM »

Do you think you may fix that, in a way to allow to bind it to some other key, too? If that would affect all mods and not only baseoa...

@All: Someone did DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Tweak&diff=13650&oldid=13562]this edit in the wiki, saying that r_swapinterval must be set to 0. Searching a little about that variable, I see here they say simply "toggle frame swapping" with default 0, and here they say "seta r_swapInterval "x", this is the Quake3 equivalent of vsync. Set it to 1 to enable vsync (recommended). Only set it to 0 when you are benchmarking game performance.".

Anyway, it does not seem that the "sync every frame" option in menu controls this variable.
Can someone give more infos about this stuff? Thank you!

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2013, 03:53:44 AM »

Does someone have any info about the question in the post above this one (what is r_swapinterval?)?

PS: I've created this page
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Multithreaded_map_compiling
(Multhreading allows to compile maps much faster)
For the moment it talks about Q3Radiant only... can someone add infos for GTKRadiant and NetRadiant?

(Sorry for the part about Q3Radiant being a little long... but a bug in the Q3Radiant editor made things more diffcult, with the need to explain how to workaround it!)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:57:12 AM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2013, 02:31:30 PM »

I'd recommend r_swapinterval 0 for more input responsiveness.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2013, 04:30:39 AM »

I'd recommend r_swapinterval 0 for more input responsiveness.
Thank you.  Smiley But what is it supposed to control?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2013, 03:23:35 AM »

Hi guys!
We know that, other than from the official site (the "official" version), there are also third party repositories and "stores" that own copies of OpenArena or modified versions or ports to other platforms. But who knows all of them?

I was thinking that it may be nice to have a page listing them, maybe subdivided into sections for platforms or stores (e.g. Mac OS - Android - Raspberry Pi (Linux/Raspbian))? Obviously, specifying they are third-party managed.

Unlike the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/LinuxInstall]LinuxInstall[/i] page (by the way, I think that page should be updated), that would not contain specifc installation instructions: it would just mention the existence of that version of the game, provide URLs if available, and few comments about it (e.g. this version requires a little payment; this version include ads; this version has got a modified user interface, etc.). Of course, we should say that the lack of any comment does not mean that it is necessarily free or 100% equal to the official version.

This may be useful also thinking that, for some reason I don't know... some search performed by using the "search" field in the stores' sites seem to do not find those directly, but one has to google to find them.
Examples:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/open-arena/id422263923?mt=12
http://store.raspberrypi.com/projects/openarena

What do you think about this?
I would need some help to determine the best way to organize a such page... ideas? And ideas for its name?
Should it contain "pointed lists"? Tables?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:34:56 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: