Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Less Mature" Model Content  (Read 15000 times)
VIC-20
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« on: May 05, 2011, 12:21:47 PM »

Hello All,

I have a question....  I host a LAN party about once a month with a group of guys from my church. To keep the barrier of entry low we, have been focusing on open source games.  Currently we are playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, but we have identified a need for a raw death-match style game  At any rate, since we use church facilities I'm a little uncomfortable playing OA with all of the current player models intact. 

That said,  how difficult would it be for me to change them out with those that have less nudity? 

I'm am technically inclined, (15+ years of Unix/Linux administration) and I've poked around and made changes to the .pak files used on W:ET but nothing having to deal with models or skins.  Can someone suggest documentation that might be helpful?  Any info that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 12:46:48 PM »

Pak2-player-mature contains these models. If you remove pak2-players-mature.pk3 from all installations, you removed these models.

However, I'm not sure if replacing them would be a good idea, since this is an official pk3, modifying it breaks online compatibility.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 12:56:59 PM »

If you want to change the models you can simply put your modified models in a new pk3 file and make sure that your pk3 file is loaded after pak2-players-mature.pk3. Because the pk3 files are loaded in alphabetical order its enough to start the name of your pk3 file with a letter z and put it in your baseoa directory to assure its loaded after the original pk3 (so calling it z-censored-players-mature.pk3 would do the trick).

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
VIC-20
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 01:38:23 PM »

Thanks for the info and the quick response....

I get that making changes in the .pak would break things for on-line play, however we are talking about a private LAN party.  Server and clients would only exist to play these modifications.   I have a little time to play with it to figure out the best way to do this.   I just don't want to offend the powers that be and lose access to our venue.   It's a shame that some player models would cause this to happen, but it is a reality.   I personally don't find to much that is objectionable with the caveat that this is not a kids game. I've been playing FPS since the 286 days, so I understand the source material better than the folks with the keys to the room.

That being said, a couple more questions. 

Can you run 2 separate installs of OA in windows?  Are there registry settings that would make this difficult?  I'd like to be able to tell folks that they could load one version when we get together in person but they have the option to load the original player models when they want to play online at home.   

Again, Thanks for the info and for supporting open gaming!!!!
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »

Can you run 2 separate installs of OA in windows?  Are there registry settings that would make this difficult?
Yes and no.

If you have sv_pure 0 set on the LAN server there should be no pk3 conflicts. HOWEVER mature bots will end up looking like a space soldier. One of them already does (Jenna)

I know the 'parental lock' system in OA being 'remove the mature pak' is kind of arcane, but it's all we have to work with for now.

What OA defines as a mature model are models that qualify for the Theiss Tittilation Theory, so the following are mature:

Angelyss
Arachna
Ayumi (use to be non-mature until someone complained about YOU CAN LOOK UP SKIRT OMG)
Neko
Sorceress

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 01:48:33 AM »

Uhm... I don't know a real solution for it.... I can only suggest some sort of workaround.

If you enable DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Force_player_model]force player model option in all the stations, and play in team-based modes, everyone will see all players using the model of "Sarge" (actually, "Grism"), without any "mature" problem. When playing in non-team based modes, instead, everyone will see all players look like using the same model as his own (I'm unsure why Id software made this feature work differently in team-based and non-team-based gametypes... maybe because in some character models red and blue team colors were not very clear).
But this would not be a great fix, because:
- players could go to the player settings menu and there see how any model looks like. And if they select another one, it will be shown anyway during non-team-based games (with the risk to show every player as an almost naked prosperous female demon on that machine).
- players are able to disable the option, then pontentially seeing mature models (if someone selected them) also in team-based matches.

You could try it anyway, especially if you believe the risk is not related to the models selected by your friends (that you can ask to select non-mature models only), but to the models selected by external internet players. Unfortunately, from your posts I can understand that you don't plan to play on public servers, but only over the lan... and then, you feel the risk of players using mature models (or simply showing them in the player settings menu) is local...

I suppose you may place an "autoexec.cfg" file on each seat, using it to enable forcemodel and/or select a model of your choice everytime OpenArena is launched... players will still be able to change their model if they wish, but maybe they could be too lazy to do it every time...

... but probably, in your case, you may simply remove (or rename, changing the extension) the pk3 that contains the mature models on all the machines... this should not give any problem when playing over your LAN.

IMHO, OpenArena would not need such mature models to be a great game (speaking personally, I'd prefer it without such fanservice... but I am not the art director...)

PS: It exists this page, too: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/IffyContent

PPS: To make different configurations, one without and one with the mature skins (needed to play over the internet), I suppose you may work with custom "fs_homepath" values (take a look to DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#Configuration_files_and_automatic_downloaded_files_path]here and the following sections, especially DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#Can_I_change_the_directory_to_where_configuration_and_autodownloaded_files_are_saved.3F]this one): you may move the pk3 with the mature skins from your installation folder to your "homepath" folder, and then launch the game with the option to use a different homepath folder, that will contain separate user settings and will not load the mature skins. You would launch the game normally when at home, and instead using a modified shortcut that specifies the different homepath when at the church. If you prefer, different user profiles in your OS may be used to achieve the same result (each user has got his own default homepath folder). Disabling DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Automatic_downloading]automatic downloading on that profile should prevent from unintentionally download the mature pack again if someone tries to connect to an internet server (obviously, this means that they will not be able to enter "pure" internet servers).[/size]

PPPS: You can also make the game less violent: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual#Making_the_game_less_violent
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:08:56 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Epicness48
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 10:17:17 AM »

I haven't played in a while, I am only now just getting back to it, but isn't there an option to make everyone a running green person?

In-game, I'm WeepingAngel.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 03:47:23 PM »

No. You're thinking of Quake Live.

leave the lazertagness to the mods, as the baseoa game won't be 'pro'. ever

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 07:30:21 AM »

I haven't played in a while, I am only now just getting back to it, but isn't there an option to make everyone a running green person?
Apart from selecting "Grism" for your model, enabling "force player model" and then playing in non-team-based gametypes, you mean?

I suppose you may want to try DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mods/AfterShock]the AfterShock mod, then (since there are not many OA servers running the good old Q3 DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/OSP]OSP mod)...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: