Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Player Sound Scripts  (Read 13503 times)
OddJob
Nub

Cakes 2

« on: September 17, 2011, 08:21:40 PM »

I was looking through the list of missing sounds on the wiki and the only problem is that someone who would be interested in providing missing sounds wouldn't know exactly what was needed based on the file name.

Some you could figure out by opening up the file that is similar to it already in game such as the character sounds, but it would be nice if there was a list of sounds written out.  So for characters it would be what the person was actually saying "gs_01.wav = 'oh yeah get some' " and for the ambient sounds I guess a little blurb on what the sound is for or kind of what it needs to sound like.  So for ambiguous ones it would be more clear like "QQnoob.wav = 3 seconds of baby crying when a player disconnects after being railed 5 times in 30 seconds."

I've been playing long enough to have an idea of the standard in game sounds, but I never think about what the file names would be.

Lastly, I have an ethical question.  I know how to get free female voice workers, but I wasn't sure if just going up and asking someone to make some sounds into a microphone without telling them what they would be used for violated any license agreements or anything like that. 

Either way, I'm experimenting with Audacity and my new microphone, so hopefully I can add my voice to the game and give it some variety.  I've also got some video from a few of the gun shoots I did in the Navy which included the .50 cal and a 25mm which would probably make for some interesting weapon fire sounds, but I'm not sure how well the audio would translate from video to sound editing to in game.  But I'm always amazed at what a few filters and some echo will do for cleaning up a sound sample.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 04:32:34 AM »

Similar topics:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3167.0
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3947.msg38579#msg38579

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 10:30:59 AM »

Lastly, I have an ethical question.  I know how to get free female voice workers, but I wasn't sure if just going up and asking someone to make some sounds into a microphone without telling them what they would be used for violated any license agreements or anything like that.

I've asked myself similar questions, in particular with collaborative works when some people aren't very informed about intellectual property.
Personally I don't hide my intents, if I do that for a game, or for a music record, it's something I tell, and people get to know about my activities.
While free licenses is also about re-use, so the projects in which these resources are used can be far from the original intent.
So when I can I also clarify as much of why I like free licenses (or why I'm hostile to intellectual property).
In one case I was like the producer, and I didn't even question myself and just chose what license the content should be available. These people were kinda aware of my ideals so It's not like a big betrayal.
In other case, I was more about leaving the person chose his/her own license, though it requires licenses knowledge. In this case I also take that as an opportunity to talk legal and share my point of view, without insisting.

Have fun while doing it, seize the opportunity to share your point of view, and do not impose a free license if you feel like they wouldn't agree.
Communication sometimes is more important than the result Wink

About "how to get a clue of what to do about sounds", you can even have an eye on Quake 3 original game.
Describing everything would be some kind of waste of time, just use different ways to get a clue (Q3 original sounds, trying and see what it gives, checking "neighbor" sounds, or just by guessing ...). What counts is the aesthetic of the final result.

Todo: Walk the cat.
OddJob
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 11:22:42 AM »

Thanks for the links.  The first one links to the list I was referring to in my original post and the second one is similar to my question, but maybe not as direct and it didn't seem to get a good answer.
It boiled down to:
"then please give me some other way of knowing what 'tim_weird1.wav' sounds like?"
"it's a weird sound made by Tim Willits...that's all you need to know."

There are some file names that are descriptive, like screech1 and screech5, but then you have "tim_hole" and "evil" which are descriptive but not enough to ensure that the recording artist sticks to the overall goal of "I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE OA SOUND AND LOOK LIKE QUAKE3."

Nobody wants to create content just for it to only be used in a mod. 

That is the heart of my concern, the core content. 

Thanks.

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 04:06:45 PM »

1) avoid legal uncertainty
2) produce something suitable according to you (which also means it should feel a minimum coherent with the rest of OA universe, not only suit your tastes)
3) community approval is a plus
4) fromhell has the arbitrary last word for inclusion in the project. Except some "no pro-player stuff in OA" and some "legally not-that-suspicious artwork refused" and a few material taking dust but which should be released in some next version, your work has its chance to get included.

When you can, you may post "works in progress" if you fear about going the wrong way.

Todo: Walk the cat.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 06:19:06 AM »

Thanks.

You misinterpreted what I said. What I meant is in the artistic direction and influence taken.

You know how Q3 is all skulls n' flesh and hell and all that? OA ISN'T.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
OddJob
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »

Thanks.

You misinterpreted what I said. What I meant is in the artistic direction and influence taken.

You know how Q3 is all skulls n' flesh and hell and all that? OA ISN'T.

Well said.  That definitely answers that question of what OA isn't,  so I guess the "open" in Open Arena not only means open source, but also open for interpretation, =)

But seriously, the more I read the forums, the more familiar I get with the overall concept so we'll see how well that translates into the audio.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: