Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Desura  (Read 87904 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 12:44:48 PM »

I think in order to get more players and keep them we have to have some type of manual that come with the game. These would tell you very basic things like what each weapon does, what the power ups do, what the armor does, and possibly give you some basic tips like how to time.
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual <-- Online manual, external from the game
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual#In-game_help <-- In-game basic manual, using a cfg file containing cvars with the help text inside, to be installed manually
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3999.0 <-- Thread about a "tutorial map"... maybe it could be continued...

Also banner ads on sites like MSN or other popular sites would help get the name out.
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Artwork <-- Some banners here, but maybe we need some higher quality ones, and we need to put them somewhere!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 12:58:32 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 02:12:25 AM »

Damn I lost some cakes :o((
I've been punished because what I said was not nice :o((

Todo: Walk the cat.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 03:20:54 AM »

Damn I lost some cakes Shocked((
I've been punished because what I said was not nice Shocked((

you can have some of mine
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 05:04:27 AM »

Thanks, I was planning to fraud anyway.

Todo: Walk the cat.
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 08:02:37 AM »

I'll think about it

managing a 300+mb game is a huge undertaking for me, and i'm glad i do not have to deal with all those linux repositories

Also didn't linux already have something similar like dljr or so? i forgot what it was called exactly but tuxfamily was involved
I was about to make a bunch of suggestions, went to Desura to research the answers, and immediately hit the "you must be registered" wall.  It seems like they want to know who the developers are before they share any form of details about what they want from a developer.

I suspect that packaging for Windows/Mac would be pretty simple, but I can absolutely understand that Linux packaging could be messy.  The fact that they aren't willing to advertise to potential developer partners is fairly off-putting to me, as well.

Has anyone actually signed up on Desura to be able to read their expectations from developers?  If all that is needed from us is the downloads that are already provided, it seems like a win.  If they need installers provided, it becomes far less of an advantage.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 10:52:06 AM »

Has anyone actually signed up on Desura to be able to read their expectations from developers?

Even if you register on Desura you get the same contact us things. OpenArena is already in the ModDB/IndieDB system, so according to the add game page, fromhell just needs to login with the same account and there will be a publish link, but I don't know anything about the process behind that.

Anyway, let's put this on hold and see where the Desura client goes, if it fails miserably then there's no reason to support it. I've received a closed beta invitation for the Linux client, I'll test how this performs on Linux.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 02:15:16 PM »

To get it submitted to Desura, it's just a bare contact form for the project managing page.

nothing much I can really do from there.  It all feels so vague and unimplemented.

and i still freaking hate the client, no way am I installing that again

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 02:38:29 AM »

I think in order to get more players and keep them we have to have some type of manual that come with the game.

funny you should mention this, there's a wikihow "How to play OpenArena" article circulating about amongst the Twitters.  I approved at least 4 new signups today.

Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 04:46:58 AM »

and i still freaking hate the client, no way am I installing that again

You don´t have to (like me, who won´t install it too) Wink
new players should Cheesy

ps: thx!
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2011, 08:52:20 PM »

If OA is setup at Desura, it would be a good idea for players to post some videos (the extra exposure can only help).

An E+ guy (not a developer although he had to list his name as such) from Q3 setup E+ at Desura and posted some old videos -- http://www.desura.com/mods/excessive

A very short pictorial guide on how to customise Desura shortcuts for your games that require special commands/parameters -- http://www.desura.com/groups/desura-tweaks/tutorials/user-launch-options

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2011, 02:19:41 AM »

There are plans to release the client as open source (GPLv3 and commercial license too). Either that means that they were too ambitious and don't have enough manpower, or saw the advantage of open source. If the new development model gives features like chat, saving backup, then it could be pretty much the only gaming client you need on Linux. Steam will be impossible to beat on Windows and Mac.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Peter Silie

Cakes 2008

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2011, 06:33:57 AM »

Steam will be impossible to beat on Windows and Mac.

Was beaten some days ago by 1ee7 h4x0rs Wink
techna_rave
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2011, 06:02:55 PM »

http://www.desura.com/games/openarena

someone posted it already, I think that whoever put it up did a shitty job seeing as it installs all versions (Win/Mac/Linux) only on windows :/
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2011, 06:08:53 PM »

LOL! My ModDB comments are there. Tongue

EDIT: Might it be there by virtue of being in ModDB? I see the ModDB images there.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »

I like how it shows who rated it now. Some of the "1" ratings are interesting, because there's actually very few of them, and some of them are notable, like a few overly pretentious self-promotional game developers I shall not name, a ioq3 guy, and competing games' leaders (WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT!).
There's also a revealed massive string of 1's by banned accounts who registered on one day just to rate 1.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:00:31 PM by fromhell » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2011, 07:08:38 PM »

Should OA3 get it's own page when it's "done", or it can go alongside OA0?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 07:43:33 PM »

Hmm I was under the imprsesion that OA3 is sort of years away? I mean, why ask now if it should have a different page if it's not even near alpha stage?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2011, 07:55:53 PM »

Well, according to lei, 0.8.8 is the last 0.X version of OA, so all the efforts can be placed in OA3.

I can't see why OA3 shouldn't get all the efforts. It's kind of like the transition between Nexuiz and Xonotic, but without the console version and the GPL war in between.

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2011, 07:31:22 AM »

Then, shouldn't 0.8.8 be a standalone instead of another patch? Or at least call it 1.0 or something, if it's the last before oa 3.0?
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2011, 07:32:03 AM »

There's also a revealed massive string of 1's by banned accounts who registered on one day just to rate 1.

looks like a small bury brigade on january 6th and 7th. random names followed by digits Tongue
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »

Just visited Desura and its been given a nice overhaul since my last visit earlier this month.

The OpenArena page is looking good, but it really should say that it supports the Mac platform also (upper right side).

http://www.desura.com/games/openarena

grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2011, 04:54:43 PM »

Afaik you can't add Mac as a supported platform currently, since Desura itself does not support it.

This space is for rent.
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2011, 05:46:46 PM »

Afaik you can't add Mac as a supported platform currently, since Desura itself does not support it.

I understand.  But that's the rub.  Most casual visitors won't know that or have the info to make that distinction.  It should be clear that OA supports the major platforms but Desura (at this point) lacks Mac support.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2011, 08:03:03 AM »

I support the idea of Udi and the comments of WaspKiller.

I am myself pretty recusant to any social network (I have myself no account on any), and have a strong view about privacy and transparency.

But what OA miss the most is not the quality, but a centralized community platform, and mainly a chatting system. The forum is a first step towards this goal, it's enough to maintain the cohesion of the developpers and contributors, but is not enough to maintain the cohesion of the players.

If the Desura platform can provide a GPL-compatible platform for community gaming, then I think that the collaboration of this platform with OA should be given a very pondered thought.

Now, if the Desura platform is still immature, this may not be a good idea yet as Udi suggered. But if time give Desura some legitimacy, the question should be rethought with this new argument in mind.

Lastly, there are other ways to make a centralized community gaming platform for OA without using Desura. For example, there are several ways to integrating a simple chatting system to the OA client without breaking the compatibility.

And I think that this goal (of providing a centralized community gaming platform) are of uttermost importance for OA, and should be pursued actively, not necessarily by the game devs since they've got a lot of work already in their hands, but by other contributors.

After all, the game is opensource.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2011, 08:36:58 AM »

Ajax chatting on this board would be cool IMO. Integrating an IRC client to OA would be bad IMO. I'd like to avoid IRC as much as possible.

I tried to integrate some ajax chat plugin on SMF but it couldn't install. Sad

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: