Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Teleporter Concept  (Read 11338 times)
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

Picky :)

« on: February 19, 2012, 10:47:58 PM »

Hi i made this teleporter ages ago in second life.
and i was asking myselfe if we could implement it in open arena.
the bad thing is that it was not made in blender.
but i could export the teleporter as an xml file, don't know
if this helps.i already used blender but i am not good in modelling with blender.
i also don't know how to make something compatibel with open arena in blender.
i'm not even sure if blender is used for openarena stuff.
well atleast i got a concept/design here Smiley

VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:47:29 PM »

not bad. would be good if someone would build a map with compatible style to use this.

— VortexHU —
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:14:23 AM »

also would be good if someone could model the teleporter for open arena.
because i only have it built in second life
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:57:48 AM by LauraNeko » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:57:37 AM »

AFAIK, Team Arena source code contains an unfinished "portal device"... maybe it may be used here....

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 04:34:31 AM »

ok after going through the trouble installing blender and python and 3 second life viewers
and a fix patch because firestorm didn't want to work anymore, to
export the damn teleporter(only xml is available as format) i found out
that blender is not able to import xml files  Lips Sealed
i tried searching for a plugin but i could only find xml exporters
tehre is not a single xml importer addon for blender.
i guess someone really has to built the teleporter in blender.
i can provide the textures.

for team arena?no i want it for open arena Smiley
but you can use it in team arena too.
i wish there was some way to export the teleporter as a blend file or collada.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 05:33:14 AM »

I mean... the 3D model is an important part for an item, of course, but it is absolutely useless if the game logic/game code does not include a function to use it. Considering that OpenArena already has got the "personal teleporter", which is an "holdable item" useable by simply pressing ENTER, I imagined you meant to create a new feature, a teleporter that works like a weapon. Maybe I misunderstood.

Creating a portal weapon is not so banal, there are a lot of things to do and check, the first one being planning how it should work in practice. DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Team_Arena]Team Arena source code -that ended up in OpenArena DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/The_Mission_Pack]Mission Pack, and from which many features (the 3 weapons, the 4 runes...) have been imported directly into OpenArena main game- contains an hidden, unfinished "portal device" (a different thing than the existing personal teleporter), that maybe we may complete and use in future OpenArena versions. But not only its model is unfinished, probably also its game logic (I'm not sure), so it is not a quick thing to do, and it would require work from Sago.

Or you were simply planning to change the current "personal teleporter" model (a 3d "T") with something that resembles a weapon instead of a letter?

UPDATE: Okay, I understood what I misunderstood. I misinterpreted your image (I did not expand the thumbnail before). My fault, sorry. It's not representing an item to pickup, but a sort of "teleport booth" where the player has to enter. So yes, it would simply be a 3D model that would be used during map creation. What I previously said is out-of-context with what you were talking about. Sorry again.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:09:26 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 05:56:29 AM »

GIG WE DON'T NEED A PORTAL it's not even implemented

This thread is about a TELEPORTER MODEL concept. It has nothing to do with the scrapped portal item which would be a gamebreaker if implemented

jeez

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 05:58:13 AM »

what are you talking about gig?
i was talking about a normal teleporter in the map which brings you from A to B.
several maps in Open Arena have one and they all look different.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 05:59:40 AM »

Sorry, I misinterpreted Laura's image (seeing the thumbnail, I thought it was something like a can-like holdable item that would flash when in use or something similar... I did not get its size!). Sorry. When I realized, I apologized with her in the "UPDATE" section of my previous post (update done while Fromhell was writing).

I'm sorry.

LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 06:04:00 AM »

lol XD

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 08:46:01 AM »

This thread is about a TELEPORTER MODEL concept. It has nothing to do with the scrapped portal item which would be a gamebreaker if implemented

If you are talking about a portable teleporter that can be placed anywhere on the map by the player (similarly to Portal games), I do not think it would be a gamebreaker. I do think that this could completely add to the gameplay without breaking it since it's only a strategical item (it does not deal any damage itself, just add a gameplay possibility), and it still could be disabled by admins as any other item.

But this is a far-stretched idea, I think I've read somewhere else that anyway this is a broken or totally non-implemented item in the gamecode.
LauraNeko
Half-Nub

Cakes -2

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 09:24:51 AM »

we where not talking about one which a palyer can place somewhere but about the normal ones which exist in many maps.

i'm not against making a portal gun like in the game portal.this weapon could also have
the abbility to close portals made with one.also from the enemies Smiley
but i am not sure if the developers have the abbility to make such a weapon.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:53:59 AM by LauraNeko » Logged

VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 12:07:59 AM »

If you are talking about a portable teleporter that can be placed anywhere on the map by the player (similarly to Portal games), I do not think it would be a gamebreaker. I do think that this could completely add to the gameplay without breaking it since it's only a strategical item (it does not deal any damage itself, just add a gameplay possibility), and it still could be disabled by admins as any other item.

but telefragging in unreal tournament was pretty fun

— VortexHU —
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: