Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: OA Maintenance at Desura  (Read 39708 times)
noChance79
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: March 15, 2012, 01:31:31 AM »

Hi all,

at Desura OA is still 0.8.5.
I think that's not too nice, since there is a newspost for 0.8.8 online at Desura as well, so Desura-Users will probably get confused (as I did ...).
I don't know how much "work" has to be done to get the current version online at Desura, but I think it shouldn't be too difficult.

If someone could point out the neccessary steps, maybe some community member (including myself) could take the role of a "Desura-Maintainer" - right now there is only a statement of fromhell pointing out, that he has not enough resources to upload the current version, which is not quite encouraging for Non-Developers and Casual-Gamers like me ;-)

LG
noChance79
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 05:28:14 AM »

I support that idea.
noChance79
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 09:43:04 PM »

I've spent a little while in the Desura Forums and have come up with this:
http://www.desura.com/groups/desura/tutorials/publishing-on-desura

According to this guide the "normal" release of OA should fit all requirements to (automatically) create a MCF and upload the new version. It sounds that one can manage this without programming knowledge or a vast of time - especially as the upload can be paused and resumed, so you can publish "by the way".

I would certanly (at least try to) do that, but who is actually in charge of the OA-Profile at Desura?
LG
noChance79

EDIT: OK - finally figured out, that the owner of the profile is fromhell, too. (Naming policy at Desura is quite unintuitive - if you click "send message" it shows up with "gamesgroup???" instead of the according nickname, which is first shown after sending the message  Huh )
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:06:48 PM by noChance79 » Logged
noChance79
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:41:44 AM »

Hi GrosBedo,

since you supported my idea, I assume you are a Desura-User, too. I'll still have to populate my Desura-Friend-List a little bit :-P
If you don't mind, you can add me over there, my nickname is the same as with OA.

Greets
noChance79

BTW: Just noticed, i received a "cake" - what exactly does this mean, and how is it working? I didn't notice an option to reward others with "cakes" yet ...
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:09:23 AM »

Cakes are meaningless.

I don't mind who maintains a Desura release, I don't know who did the last one though but it wasn't me.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 05:30:26 PM »

Quote from: noChance79

BTW: Just noticed, i received a "cake" - what exactly does this mean, and how is it working? I didn't notice an option to reward others with "cakes" yet ...
When you really like someone else's post (e.g. a very useful explaination, a great map created, etc), you can click on "Yes!" on the left to give him a cake as a "thank". If you really don't like someone else's post (e.g. spamming, flaming, trolling), you can click on "No!" and remove a cake from him.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 10:47:45 AM »

Wasn't there a minimum postcount before you saw these yes/no options?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »

Yep, 115 AFAIK.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 11:27:08 AM »

yeah, it keeps cake abusing lurkers out

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 01:55:46 PM »

Hi GrosBedo,

since you supported my idea, I assume you are a Desura-User, too. I'll still have to populate my Desura-Friend-List a little bit :-P
If you don't mind, you can add me over there, my nickname is the same as with OA.

No sorry I never used Desura (yet), but I support the concept.
noChance79
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 03:29:14 AM »

I don't mind who maintains a Desura release, I don't know who did the last one though but it wasn't me.

OK, then someone seems to use the same nickname over there - sorry for the misunderstanding ... hopefully the person, who created the profile will show up again. Desura is a nice way of distributing games, even if OA runs fine without it - i think we should care ...  Wink

And thanks for the explanation about the cakes  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:54:14 AM by noChance79 » Logged
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 11:41:24 AM »

OK, then someone seems to use the same nickname over there - sorry for the misunderstanding

This is just a guess; maybe all registered ModDB/IndieDB members are listed on Desura as well? Those sites all belong to the same network and share content as well.

This space is for rent.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »

Indeed they are. My ModDB comments are there as well, and I haven't went to the Desura site before finding that.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
noChance79
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 09:34:08 PM »

OK, this sounds to be a good explanation. I emailed the support staff at desura and they answered:
Hello,
If there is one of the developers who would like to take over maintenance of the game profile, then I can add them to the list of managers for the game. They would then be able to post news and update the game.

If I subscribed to this "list of managers" and ran into technical problems, I would get helpfull advice in this forum, wouldn't I?
If I would probably end up with "Nobody minds desura - get the f*** off ..."  Evil, another guy with more technical understanding of OA has to take the job.

Greets
noChance79
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 10:19:14 PM »

i'd probably have to log into moddb and add someone to 'fsfps developers' - lame name for a group (and groups were required) but it's the least I could do.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 03:52:36 AM »

If I subscribed to this "list of managers" and ran into technical problems, I would get helpfull advice in this forum, wouldn't I?
If I would probably end up with "Nobody minds desura - get the f*** off ..."  Evil, another guy with more technical understanding of OA has to take the job.

Yes, this forum is very open and helpful, you won't be bashed away.

But you should be aware that nevertheless, accepting this function will make you bear a responsibility towards Desura players and will make you spend quite a bit of your time.

Now, if you accept, it'll be great and you can count me in Wink
noChance79
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 11:54:56 PM »

Well - i still got my main emphasize on real life  Grin - but i'll do what i can, this should at least be better than doing nothing at all for Desura-Players. And maybe some day in future there will be others - without a real life Tongue - to take over and perform better than me ...

@fromhell: would you please add me to the fsfps-group, maybe that will already do to make me able to update the gamesprofile, so i don't need to contact the suppurt staff once again
noChance79
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 01:54:19 AM »

Just to keep you up to date - i'm still in contact with the desura support staff - i will post again here as soon as the update is on its way  Smiley
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 06:17:28 AM »

Thank's for the news, always nice to hear that a project is still in development Smiley
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 04:47:56 PM »

i'm afraid of giving too much power as the desura/indiedb/moddb sites are all integrated - Desura maintenance could mean 'control the entire profile'

noChance79
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 04:52:49 AM »

Well, i won't do you any harm  Wink
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »

Well, i won't do you any harm  Wink

Yes but I agree with fromhell, it's not a very security-wise approach that ModDB and Desura took here.

Maybe you can try to contact them to ask about a way to manage limited rights on Desura? Maybe we missed something, or maybe they are planning to release such a feature soon?
noChance79
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 06:25:25 AM »

I'll get on this later. Currently i'm running into a slight problem concerning the so called branches at desura. I was able to create and upload a MCF for Windows and Mac and submit it for approval by the desura staff. But for Linux and Linux64 the client complains about the filesize being 0 bytes. I hope it is only some kind of oddity and will try again later or maybe tomorrow.

Nonetheless it doesn't seem that creating the mcf affects the profile at moddb - but i may be wrong Undecided
Maybe someone could doublecheck at moddb if anything has changed yet?
noChance79
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 03:07:28 AM »

It seems, i can only add one branch per day, so i uploaded Linux64 today and will get on Linux32 tomorrow. The Windows branch has already been approved and should already be distributed right now.

But i still have a question concerning the planned 0.8.8 hotfix: As far as i understood, there was an issue with the Mac-executables loosing their file permissions during compression. I fixed this following the according forum posts before uploading to Desura.
But beneath the seperate OS-branches there is also a download section for the compressed unified zip - as can be found over here.
I'm wondering, if i should leave this 0.8.5 until the hotfix is out, so Mac-users won't run into trouble starting the app for the first time, if they chose to download the zipped file.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 04:48:39 AM »

If you can, I think you probably should upload Mac binaries with fixed permissions.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: