Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GTKRadiant back in active development  (Read 6572 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: May 27, 2012, 09:16:09 PM »

http://icculus.org/projects/gtkradiant/

GtkRadiant is a very old project. There have been many versions over the years, and lots of contributors. In the early 2000's it supported many id Tech 3 games, and even some id Tech 4 games. Responsibilities and interests have shifted a lot around this project, but I think most people will recognize me as the person most consistently involved with the editor over the years.

Now that I have left id, I had some time to sit back and look at all the games based on id Tech that I enjoy playing, and at the level design community around them. I figured it would make sense to resume some maintenance efforts for the benefit of those projects.

We are a small group of developers involved in this 'rebirth' of GtkRadiant, and in the spirit of the above I'd like to call out a few rules that we should try to stick to for this project:

Stability over new development
A small subset of well supported games
Support more advanced feature development and forks
Provide an archive of some of the older releases of GtkRadiant

But only the following games are supported at the time of writing:
Quake III Arena
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
Urban Terror

http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60822

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 10:11:57 PM »

Yeah saw that.

That front page message doesn't say who "me" is, but it's TTimo (Timothy Bessett).

If only they'd make a source package for their release, I would have tried it already.

I wonder how it compares to NetRadiant, anyone know?
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 07:42:55 AM »

The Xonotix team has done several patches and improvements to NetRadiant as well as q3map2, some of which also apply to Quake3-based games.
Given the last state of GtkRadiant and their bundled q3map2, I would not recommend anyone using it (let's see whether the "rebirth" will change that).

This space is for rent.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »

It's being maintained for stability?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: